The difference between Liberals, Conservatives, and Southerners...

Deang

Max,

Certain cities in the U.S. could have this scenario happen all too often. Someone doing crack could easily not be rational and come charging at you. I would prefer to not be in a neighborhood where this could happen. By staying away, I have then lowered the risk.

Owning and being able to legally carry a concealed weapon does not make me feel empoewred at all. Healthy fear of the responsibility might be more like it.

Different states in the U.S. have different laws concerning handguns. I live in Georgia, where a permit is needed to carry concealed. You can carry with the firearm showing, but then you may just be inviting trouble. In Tennessee, you MUST carry concealed. You must also take a short course before you apply for a permit. Not so in Georgia, although my wife and I both took a class in TN, and plan on others to make sure we know the laws/responibility and can practice more.

I can't carry into a facility that has alchoholic beverages -- meaning I can't carry in a local bar or liquor store. Other locations are also restricted -- schools and churches for instance, or certain government institutions/offices.

I often carry when out on my property, as we have rattlesnakes, copperheads and cotton mouths around. I mostly try to make noise to alert them to my being in the vicinity.

Civilians aren't the police, and all are better served sometimes by paying attention when something does happen, to give the police good info when they arrive.

As Dean said, shooting is FUN. My wife really enjoyed it when we have gone through a few rounds.

One issue with the statistics is that the FBI doesn't have numbers on uses like Audio Flynn mentioned. Although he didn't actually fire his weapon, having it and showing it prevented a larger crime from taking place. There are estimates of up to four million uses of a firearm per year in the U.S. as a preventative use of a crime. Many times the firearm is only shown, or a shot is fired into the air (or ceiling). The perpatrator then leaves. A book that describes this, from someone who travelled the U.S a combing police reports is "The Best Defense." I can't remember the author off the top of my head.

Many of these comments would lead one to believe that the U.S. is still the wild, wild west. It would be like reading a Tin Tin comic and thinking they are real.

Cheers,

Marvel

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Don't be overly proud of the American productivity, etc. The European Union (sorry MAx if you are one of those against it) is performing in an ever increasingly good way that is positioned to eclipsce our economy - the overall EU has outperformed the US in the last couple of years. Having had folks work for me across the globe it is generally wrong to group the rest of the world as lazy, nonproductive, etc. - Just flat out wrong."

Henry,

Where did taht come from? Everything I have read has pointed out that the American worker is the most productive worker in the world ($out/$in).He/she works harder and longer than their European counterparts and has a higher standard of living. Our unemployment rate is far lower than that of the EU by about half. The only reason the EU's economy is approaching that of the US is that it is expanding in size by adding more countries(states). The rate of growth in both the economy and productivity of the US far eclipses the EU.

If you are going to cite the declining dollar v the Euro that is a monetary policy of the FED and Treasury to make US goods more attractive to world markets. There have been no attempts by the central banks that I can see to shore up the dollar and the FED just stated that low interest rates will continue for the forseable future despite the dollars decline.

Rick

Good post Mark, and I'm right with you. I can't believe what I believe and not agree with you. I would just add that there is the spiritual ideal not yet realized, and the reality of a fallen, corrupt nature. The reality caused Christ to arm the disciples with a sword as they traveled.

You can find the prophecy of Isaiah 11 explained by Paul in Ephesians 2. The prophecy, like many contained in the Old Testament, is allegorical. Literalization of symbolic and allegorical passages have caused enough historical grief.

----------------

On 1/6/2004 8:51:32 AM TBrennan wrote:

Gunman---London has a higher murder rate by firearms than Chicago? Ridiculous! You better cite that.

----------------

Sorry, I misspoke; Chicagos is almost double of any where on the planet.

What I meant to say was the % increase in murders since the total gun ban was instituted, 27-1/2% for 2003.

News Headlines

London's shooting murder rate triples

The number of people shot dead in the last two months in London has more than tripled compared with the same period last year.

There were 13 firearm murders in the capital in April and May with five of them investigated by Operation Trident, the police task force targeting "black on black" drug crime.

This compared to four firearm murders in the same period last year.

The total number of murders in London leapt to 42 during April and May compared with 33 in the same months in 2000.

In April and May this year there were also 46 non-fatal shootings, 33 of which were investigated by Operation Trident.

A Scotland Yard spokesman refused to comment on reports that the rise in fatal shootings was attributable to contract killings.

A spokesman said: "It is not something we would discuss because it is unquantifiable. You just do not know until well after the case is over whether it was a contract killing or not."

Murders (Source Metropolitan Police Service, London)

1999-2000 180

2000-2001 171

2001-2002 190

----------------

On 1/6/2004 10:17:02 AM Maron Horonzak wrote:

FINI....IF I had a time machine & could see into the future. And I would see that YOU would be responsible for the deaths of millions of people. Would assanating you be the right thing to do?

----------------

Yes, but only by using the same means as I have used. Something tells me this is not conjecture. What do you know, Maron? Honest, the leftover turkey wasn't on the counter that long...

----------------

On 1/6/2004 10:50:59 AM gunman45 wrote:

Sorry, I misspoke; Chicago’s is almost double of any where on the planet.

----------------

Is that before or after Brennan left?

I think the "idea" of guns is bad and immature and irresponsible and stupid and destructive and counterproductive.

Be that as it may, there is nothing you can do about it as long as another person disagrees with your point of view (not trying to sound aggressive, flippant or otherwise, that too is life).

But from a spirit viewpoint guns were not invented as "toys" or "entertainment," but rather to kill other living things. It is not like a hammer or chisel for splitting rocks. It is not just another "tool." It is a more efficient means of killing other life. And that's what it is.

Granted, they were invented to replace the bow and arrow, lance and sword. They have been used to oppress and defend against oppressors. They have been used as a tool to feed the families and the masses. They have also found there way into the world of sports just as the lance, sword and the bow and arrow. But regardless, they are tools nonetheless!

----------------

On 1/6/2004 11:01:29 AM fini wrote:

----------------

On 1/6/2004 10:50:59 AM gunman45 wrote:

Sorry, I misspoke; Chicago’s is almost double of any where on the planet.

----------------

Is that before or after Brennan left?

----------------

Does it matter?

Hell, I hate to even get a connection at OHare!

I really have nothing to say about the subject at hand. The one thing that I have noticed with this subject is that the Klipsch Forum has once again become a place where people can share the views without it turning into a all out flame war. Man isn't this great!

Craig

Rick---The rifle is much more dangerous. I could catch your arrows on my scutom, close with you and spit you on my gladius. But a rifle would carry right through; scutom, lorica and all.

I don't think many people are stuck-up or attacked from 100 yards away, how would you demand the victim's money, with an Aldis lamp? " Ahoy there! Stand and deliver" clack-clack----clack-cla-clack----clack-clack

----------------

On 1/6/2004 11:33:03 AM 3dzapper wrote:

Fini,

I could kill as easily at 100yds with my bow as with my rifle. Would you ban them too?

Rick

----------------

Good for you, tough guy.

----------------

On 1/6/2004 9:53:35 AM 3dzapper wrote:

Henry,

Where did taht come from? Everything I have read has pointed out that the American worker is the most productive worker in the world ($out/$in).He/she works harder and longer than their European counterparts and has a higher standard of living. Our unemployment rate is far lower than that of the EU by about half. The only reason the EU's economy is approaching that of the US is that it is expanding in size by adding more countries(states). The rate of growth in both the economy and productivity of the US far eclipses the EU.

If you are going to cite the declining dollar v the Euro that is a monetary policy of the FED and Treasury to make US goods more attractive to world markets. There have been no attempts by the central banks that I can see to shore up the dollar and the FED just stated that low interest rates will continue for the forseable future despite the dollars decline.

Rick

----------------

Rick - you are right on in many respects and I may have misspoke. Over the last two years the rate of growth of the equivalent of GDP in the EU has exceeded the United States, but it does not put the EU yet in the same 'super capitalist' mode of the US. It does put them on a right path with strong probability of that trend continuing. I was a bit 'enthusiastic' (how is that for not saying I was wrong) in defending the EU. My point would have been more accurately represented if I had simply stated that a previous post that labeled our friends in Europe as nonproductive weaklings was far from true. I do stand by the fact that the potential of the EU is great - however, there is quite a bit of squabbling that has to quieten down before they enter that higher stage. The foriegn exchange market doesn't figure into it in mind.

Productivity issues are interesting. I believe the very high numbers are the result of the nature of conducting business in this current recession (even if we are recovering, impact on the productivity numbers is several months away). However, the trend over the past decade show our productivity is very much greater than most of the 'industrialized' nations, so it is not a fluke.

The main aside (stage whisper?) is that the real product has dropped in quality recently (something expected to change as the economy rebounds). I am not talking about the car,telephone service,etc. (the see me, feel me product), but the overall product which includes customer support. I think that my experience is not isolated, but will ask if anyone else has had to call about problems (telephone, cell phone, gas grille, mutual fund) to invariably find long wait times, inconclusive solutions, 2nd and 3rd calls, initial declarations of it being your issue and general lack of respect for your situation that is exascerbated by additional delays and more wait time. As business picks up and competition will drive this quality back up.

Did I just agree in a round about way? I must be slipping10.gif

----------------

On 1/5/2004 8:54:52 PM mdeneen wrote:

Making the case against guns by use of statistics is fruitless and ineffective. It has been the primary anti-gun logic for 30 years and is a total failure. It was the wrong strategy then, and it's the wrong one now.

Playing with guns is a deeply emotional need. Not an intellectual or physical one. Creating cases about "rates per thousand" of this or that, don't even brush against the gun-needy psyche.

Guns will disappear when men grow up. That's about the simplest and most direct way to say it. "Grow up" in this sense means to attain a sliver of enlightenment about their own being, and it's relationship to the Universe and all it's beings.

Before this stage, men are just selfish, violent sociopaths with very high intellect. The intellect is in the space age, and the spirit is in the Middle Age filled with nothing but darkness, brutality and bloodlust. You don't reason against that, you simply wait and hope it changes.

mdeneen

----------------

I'm back on page 5 here, but I want to reply before I get distracted by the next few pages.

Mark-

Post of the year so far!! I applaud your guts in posting this, and agree wholeheartedly with the content.

Regards,

Ben

Ok, got through most of pg. 5, and decided not to bother. Sorry for intruding. Enjoy pissing on each other for one another's beliefs.

At least when we fight about amp topologies, one of us can learn something along the way.