OT: anyone here into motorcycles (as in, do you ride?)

kenratboy

My dad rode motorcycles for years and years, but Nevada does not honor the California motorcycle licence. Recently, I have been bitten by the bike bug, and am looking to get my licence. My dad just needs to do the test as a formality (he can ride), but I don't know a THING. In Nevada, the practical test is starting from a stop without lifting your front tire, braking without lifting the rear, and just being able to ride the thing! From what I heard, it is easy. The corse is a day corse and is like $25 and they provide the bike. My car has a stick, so I know about driving a manual.

Anyone have any advice or words of wisdom? I will tell you I already know it is easy to get yourself killed with pretty much any motorcycle, as they are all fast, and because its a motorcycle, every crash is a major crash (unless you are lucky.)

At work, people that ride say it is SOOOO much fun, and on a nice day, you will want to dump your car and get on your bike.

Go for it! Just remember that something like 90% of bike accidents happen in your first year of riding. You'll learn to regard cars and trucks as "cages" that are just waiting for the right time to KILL you. You'll also learn about "reverse or countersteering", whereby you put pressure on the handlebars to lean the bike with no effort-but it's backwards to some people. You press forward a little (not actually turn) the right side bar to turn RIGHT!

You also get to list your bikes in the bike fora (forums)just like we list our music-making gear.

1988 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10 (1000 cc)

1986 Honda VF1000R (1000 cc)

1989 Honda Hawk GT (650 cc)

Start small. My first bike was a 1100G suzuki and it was way to powerfull for the first bike. I am very lucky I never got killed. Lots of close calls, and close to alot of tickets. It is much easier to go faster on a bike. It is so much fun once you ride you will always want to ride. Up here in WI the riding season is shorter than most but there still is tons of bikes up here. Injoy and be safe

Nothing like the freedom of the open road.....

Slow speed riding can be the most difficult to master because it requires the greatest amount of control and balance.

A little advice...

Try not to oversteer when at all possible.

The temptation to "turn" your handlebars is greater when you feel the you have already turned too deep.

Not good.

Counter-balancing to recover after oversteering can lead to biting of the dirt, if your not careful.

She'll fold up and flop over, if given the chance.

Just try to remain relaxed and let your upper-body dictate the direction you want to go, the bike will follow.

The slightest turn of the handlebars combined with the right amount of lean can get you around most things, most of the time.

Stay cool.

Good luck.

Regards,

John.

BTW. I'm up here in the glove and I was out on my bike just a few days ago when it was in the 50s. :)

Today it's in the 20s and with 3" of snow on the ground.

Ya gotta love Michigan!

When I started riding in 1966, there were NUMEROUS bikes around for beginners to whet their skills on...it was the heyday of the small Japanese streetbikes. I started out on a Yamaha twin-jet 100. Sadly, nowadays there are very few streetbikes for beginners around. The Honda Rebel 250 or 250 Hawk are two good starter bikes. They are much larger than what I began on, but capable of highway speeds and are good learning tools.

One word of advice, here: Don't let your youthful enthusiasm outrun your common sense in riding. Always wear protective clothing and a helmet...especially the helmet...brain cells DO NOT reproduce! Be aware that paranoia is vital to street survival on motorcycles...you HAVE to assume that everybody is trying to kill you(some actually ARE!) in order to survive. Then, once you learn to ride and get into the "I gotta get myself a bigger bike" mode...let your common sense rule here, too! It is difficult not to cave into the peer pressure to have the fastest and the flashiest bike out at the time. But always consider this..."Just how fast does the bike I ride really have to be capable of?" Far too many young people are being killed on motorcycles that are capable of SUSTAINED speeds in excess of double the highway speed limit. Many of these youths I see are riding helmetless, in shorts with sandals on, while threading through rush-hour traffic at speeds far in excess of the speed limit. This is foolish, to say he least! Not only is it foolish and dangerous, but it brings down unfavorable public opinion on all riders!

I have been riding since 1966. I have well over 700,000 miles on a variety of motorcycle types and brands. Twelve years ago I settled into what has become my favorite bike of all these years. I have put over 100,000 miles on this machine, which I bought used, in Great condition. Many times I have encountered other riders who have simply stated "You ride an old man's bike...You really need something that can keep up in traffic on the highways."....as they point to their new hotrod bikes. My answer is always the same: "Just how much over a 125 mile an hour top speed do I need to be going?" I ride a 1983 BMW airhead 1,000cc twin...it gets 45 mpg, is VERY comfortable on long hauls, handles quite well with the rather heavy loads it tends to carry, is as dependable as they come, operator maintenance is simple to perform and it just needs the basics to perform flawlessly, it gets me where I am going...no matter where or how far away that is...and I wouldn't trade it for any other motorcycle made anywhere! An added benefit of owning the bike I own? It goes up in value an average of 300-500 bucks per year over the last 7 years, as long as it remains well-maintained...mileage on BMW bikes is NOT a major issue to those "in the know!"

what kind of motorcycle are you wanting? if you want a cruiser then i can't guide you on what to get. they are unsafe if you ask me. I can however recommend some sport touring or supersport motorcycles. I started out on a 55hp 86 fz600. boy how i thought it was the shiznit. i rode the crap outta that for 3 years.... speed this up a bit. went to a 95ish HP race bike, then to a 130ish HP full on race bike. now i am back to a 100 HP sport tourer. my point is don't start out with a lot of horsepower. make sure you get something with excellent brakes/suspesion. hp don't mean jack if you can't put it to the ground. put it this way i can pass guys in a turn on a 60hp old hawk compared to 160HP 1000cc machines. its all about riding xperience. like mentioned most accidents happen within the first couple years. and you WILL drop your bike at some point or another, it happens to everyone. so don't go out and buy you a brand new machine.

btw i have crashed twice at high speeds and dropped my first bike 3 times so i've seen it all happen before my eyes.

the tests to get your license are pretty easy. go to your local dmv and ask for a motorcyle test booklet. study and take the written test, 30 days from passing that you are elligable to take the driving test( a bit harder). most states offer a safety course that can bypass all this stuff through some classes and a weekend training course. then once the 30 days are up you just go to the branch and get your MC designation.

here are some good starter bikes IMO

Honda Hawk (NT650)

Honda CBF (F1) not F2 or newer

Yamaha FZ600

Suzuki GS500E

Suzuki SV650 (my favorite pick of all)

there are many others out there if you'd like some more advise check out these links

www.gixxer.com

www.4sportbikes.net

MOST IMPORTANTLY DON'T RIDE WITHOUT PROPER GEAR A HELMET AND LEATHER JACKET AT MINIMUM!!!!!!

Agree with the poster above - ALways have the right gear. I ride too, and i've seen some bad stuff. Assume that people in cars, trucks..DONT SEE YOU and act acordingly. Keep your distance, ride within abilities, and don't push it too hard...

yea, another thing - dont race on the streets. Take it to the track. Living in California - we have bike accidents every day, just because someone thought they are invincible.

Take the MSF ( motorcycle safety course) if you can. They will show you a good deal of usefull stuff AND your insurance most likely will be lower. If you are young, have a good bike and didnt take the course - it maybe SO expensive that you wouldnt want a bike anymore. They wanted me to pay 6K a year in full coverage( and i was riding for 2 years at that point and bike wasnt new, had no tickets...etc)

And yes, dont get a fast new bike right away. Get something cheap so you wont care much if it gets scratched.

I would vote for sv650 too - its a great machine.

Take it slow, and dont risk it when you dont have to.

Hey, I haven't posted in a very long time. This subject gets me going. I agree with everyone here except for the buy a older bike train of thought. I hadn't owned a motorcycle for nearly 20 years and recently purchased a CBR 954 RR. My last desperate grab at youth, I suppose. I am truly amazed at how they have improved in handling and power. I think the newer the better. Since you have no experience I do recommend that you stay in the 600cc range. Also get to a good track school as soon as you can. This will force you to buy good equipment and hone you skills in unexpected ways. "keep it up"1.gif

----------------

On 1/5/2004 2:13:40 PM syclone385 wrote:

Hey, I haven't posted in a very long time. This subject gets me going. I agree with everyone here except for the buy a older bike train of thought. I hadn't owned a motorcycle for nearly 20 years and recently purchased a CBR 954 RR. My last desperate grab at youth, I suppose. I am truly amazed at how they have improved in handling and power. I think the newer the better. Since you have no experience I do recommend that you stay in the 600cc range. Also get to a good track school as soon as you can. This will force you to buy good equipment and hone you skills in unexpected ways. "keep it up"
1.gif

----------------

thats different owning a cycle 20 years apart. you can't expect someone who hasn't been on one to ride a 110hp machine which all new 600cc are doing nowadays. weighing just about 390 FULLY WET!! my 2k1 750 was 417 fully wet with 130hp. way way way too much for a newbie.

I agree performance is serious. You can get in way over your head on a 250 rebel just as quick if not quicker because the bike is not designed for RIDING! The new 600's are very well balanced and will handle in a much more forgiving manner. Best recommendation is to take a MSF course on their 250's; go to a track school rent there bike and then shop for yours."keep it up"

Well....at the risk of sounding like HDBR, I too have logged many miles (not really sure, maybe 400,000 or so) on a variety of bikes. I started riding when I was 13 (I'm 47 now) and have been riding ever since except for that period of my life when I was in college (motocross bikes traded for school funds). I too would highly recommend taking the MSF. I've known folks that have taken it after having ridden for years and they've always said how they learned something new.

I'd also give some thought to buying a used 125cc or 250cc dirt bike. The skills you learn in the dirt translate to street riding. Things like throttle control, body positioning, braking and what it feels like to have a front or rear tire slide are valuable skills. Dirt riding allows you to try things like breaking a rear tire loose without the potential horrible consequences one would face on the street. Besides, if you bust your *** in the dirt, it won't hurt (too) bad. And since the bike is used, you won't freak when you drop it.

Your next step after the dirt bike/MSF learning experience would be a CLASS riding school or some such. These schools won't teach you how to go fast on the street (although you will find your pace picking up), rather, they'll give you additional skills that will increase your margin of safety for when you do decide to up the pace. The main thing you'll learn is that you can go quite fast with the proper riding technique. That all the horsepower in the world won't make up for bad riding skills. I'm constantly amazed at how many sportbike guys I come upon that gas the hell outta the bike in the straights and then park it then turns. I've got a 68 year old friend who is smooth as glass when he rides and he regularly passes these young pups on his BMW GS100. Anyhow....I digress.

Others have mentioned riding with proper gear and I will second that. I too have been down more times than I'd like. And today (knocking on head), I've yet to suffer anything worse than some scrapes & bruises. There's some really good riding gear out there that allows one to practically ride all year long in any weather. Invest in it. Good fitting quality riding gear will make the experience even more enjoyable.

And when you do ride. Ride your own ride. Trying to go fast or keep up with someone is a recepe for disaster. Pride & ego will get you killed quicker than anything else. Go fast when you can and slow when you got too.

Oh...one last thing. Buy more than one bike. 9.gif

Tom

'94 Kawasaki ZX9R

'03 Yamaha FJR1300

'90 H*nda NS50

I would suggest what some others have, a sport bike or dual purpose bike in the 600cc range. The handling and braking are so much better on the newer bikes especially the crotch rockets where as the dual purpose bikes are easy to throw around and offer a bit of off road fun. You really need this because as strange as it may seem a lot of drivers dont see motorcycles when they pull onto a street and or they are unable to judge the speed and distance of a bike which means they pull in front of you when you least expect it. You have to always be ready for this and consequently be ready to brake and or maneuver. You also have to take you time getting used to a bike and I dont mean just your first one but every one. A good example is back in 85 when the FZ 750s and GSX-R 750s first came out a lot of my friends had them and I was lucky enough to have both. Im one of these guys that likes to spend a lot on time on my back wheel or take turns without slowing down by power sliding around them. Very often I rode my friends bikes so they could try mine but even though I had the same bike in my garage theirs would sometimes do unexpected things due to different suspension setups, tires etc. Road and weather conditions can greatly alter what you expect a motorcycle to do. Even the temperature of the pavement can affect weather a bike wheelies or burns out and can get you in a lot of trouble if you are expecting it to do the opposite. Sand or gravel when turning at intersections can be very dangerous too. Ive seen a lot of guys who drove dirt bikes for years get a street bike and think they can drive flat out but instead they go down and sometimes take others with them because they never took the time to get used to the bike and over estimated their driving experience which was on a totally different machine. Someone mentioned shorts and sandals being stupid and they are right. I always wore fully leathers no matter how hot it was and at the very least a person should wear denim. FYI worn denim offers better protection than new denim. What Im trying to say is have fun but be careful. I have seen a lot of accidents, luckily never involving myself and no one was ever severely hurt as in killed but that was also a bit of luck too when you consider I have seen motorcycles spinning end over end at just under 100mph approx. 15ft off the ground or when drag racing one time the guy I was racing hit a moose at over 130mph. All lucky to be alive. Im not trying to scare you but you need to approach the sport with some maturity because you may not be so lucky. If you approach it which the right attitude you will have many years of enjoyment from the sport.

Honda CR80

Honda CR250

Honda NightHawk 450

Suzuki GS750

Honda V45 Magna

Yamaha FZ 750

Suzuki GSX-R 750

Suzuki 750 Intruder

Yamaha XT 600

Honda XR 350

Yamaha 1200 V-Max

Honda VFR1000R

Yamaha FZR 1000

Honda CBR 900RR

Wow, 14 replys!

Heh, 600cc? I want about 150 to start 9.gif I am more interested in a street bike, just something to put around on for the time being.

Some of the new superbikes are doing mid 2's in the 0-60!!! 6.gif

I think the first thing I need to do is get some good riding cloths. I know my dad could probably be pretty confident for normal riding, as he has EXPERIENCE, but I have none, and I don't want to rend my flesh.

I am a very good driver (better than most adults, as most people that drive are not into 'driving'), and I know that will help for bikes. I have a V6 Camry with a 5-speed, and can easily do 120 on the freeway if I wanted - but I don't. I don't want to ruin it all for something dumb. Same with bikes. I would NEVER EVER cut in and out of traffic, use the power/speed of a bike to squeeze across an interesction, etc. That is ******* DUMB!!! 14.gif More than anything, I want to learn to ride so I know how, and because I like things with engines on them!

From what I have heard, Reno is an awesome place to live if you ride, there are so many good, quiet roads.

All this bike talk. Who's going to Daytona for Bike Week this year? I will be there Sunday, but them I'm heading to the Keys for Mon, Tues, and Wed to return to Daytona Thurs, Fri, Sat.

Agree to start reasonable but don't start too small. Remember, we all didn't start in audio with a pair of Khorns, but Quintets would probably made me quit. Not all street bike's are the same too. The 750 engine on a racer may push 100+hp, but the 750 Honda Shadow pushes maybe 50. Besides, cruisers are a lot cooler than crotch rockets. Reminds me of that Robert Duvall movie where he's telling the story of the young and old bull on the hill....

Wear a helmet.

i rode for about 3 years. in the first 6 months i slid the bike out on a curve when i hit some patch of gravels and lost a lot of skin....not too many clothes stand up to asphalt well14.gif this was a 2 weeks before i was scheduled to take the motorcycle safety course--HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

then i rode accident free for the rest of the 3 years...until

the girl claims she didn't see me, headlight shining on a clear night. i remember seeing her slowing down with her signal light on waiting to turn in front of me. i was going about 25-30 mph on a city road and it seemed like she waited till the last second and turned right in front of me. i got on the brakes hard but it was no use. my leg wrinkled the whole passenger side of her car with the help of my bikes force behind it.

save the months of pain, 2 screws in my leg, and trying to learn how to run again so i could get my comissioning in the army, i survived this minor accident.

again, i was going SLOW, would have just cracked a cars bumper and dented her car -- but not in a bike.

i won't lie and say bikes are evil, i did rent a v-rod harley for a day in palm springs california...but just remember, if you get one, you get the fastest ride on the street but if you think you can own it without some knucklehead not seeing you and taking you down someday...

it's a gamble...and the odds are not in your favor. some win, i broke even, and a lot die.15.gif

I've been riding for 41 years. Of course I did stop long enough to listen to music etc. Ok the best advise I can give you is learn and practice defensive riding skills. Look around constantly and alway be aware of what's behind and to the sides of you especially when stopping. Be prepared to get out of the way always and almost most importantly is alway ride as if the other people on the road can't/don't see you even when you have made eye contact with them. You'd be surprised how many times you'd swear they saw you only to have them change lanes on you when beside you. edited here I should have read the other posts 1st. There's much good advise given. For fun the bikes I can remember owning starting with my 1st in order of owning them.

'61 Honda 50 super sport (Airman brought over from Japan)

'65-66? Honda 250 Scrambler

'70 Harley Sportster

'65 Triumph Bonniville

'73 Suzuki 250 Enduro

'76 KZ900 Kawi

'81 Goldwing

'83 Harley Wide Glide

presantly my '96 Harley Dyna Wide Glide

hoggy