Well what does everyone think ???

NOSValves

Well here is my latest work. I wasn't going to post it up here but too many people told me why not if some people don't like it oh well. This is basically a test of how the chassis lay out will be. I haven't completely settled on the final chassis will be but it will be very close to what you see. Of coarse the wood could be stained darker and be Walnut or Oak this one is Alder and just Oiled right now, The top plate could possible be black or chrome or ?, The end bells will be the wrap around type/lipped from now on and could be black, hammer tone, Chrome ?? Its incredible how long this all takes when starting from scratch and having to punch all the holes and drill router and fit all the fitting to the wood chassis. Dont ask how it sounds because it would be like blowing my own horn. You all get to hear from others sooner or later.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The circuit is absolutely final. It can easily run EL34, 6L6, 5881, KT66, KT88, KT90, 6550 and possible a few other output tubes. Its designed for KT88/6550 but does very well with all the others. Its completely bias adjustable and AC balance adjustable. Uses 12AU7 driver, an ECC99 for phase splitter duty, 5AR4 rectifier. The output tubes and Output transformers are fuse protected and any of above can be used.

All opinions are welcome and honesty is what I'm after here. Its your chance to poke at me with no retaliation's (Well except Guy2.gif)

VRD-1.jpg

VRD-2.jpg

VRD-3.jpg

VRD-41.jpg

post-7461-13819251449796_thumb.jpg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope custom made but fashioned after the Dynacos, No they were not would by "Handwound Hack" Jeff Lessard warned me that was a mistake after it was to late 14.gif. I threw away $300 to that ding dong ! These transformers were compared to Original Dynaco's and Magnaquests and faired very very well. Magnaquest outputs will be avialable at a additional cost in fact I have a set right now.

Guest Anonymous

Please stain in white walnut, or ZEBRAWOOD2.gif cause Garymd says anything audio in zebrawood just plain sounds better6.gif Seriously they do look great, and in a couple of weeks I will know how they sound. Now I understand why ya need $$$$12.gif in the morning my friend, I been sick here sorta like you last month15.gif Hey, do they blow away the mark III's? are they more powerful? Can we customize the wood? will they push 100 watts11.gif yada yada yada heh heh heh...

Get Back To Work9.gif

BTW we should start on the 25th at 9 AM cool?4.gif

There Push Pull and switchable between Ultra Linear and strapped Triode output the switch is directly between the output tubes. The customer will have to decide which mode they want them optimized for you just can't have your cake and eat it too. It will sound darn good either way but there are mild tweaks to both modes of operation that just are not ideal to be on a switch(to much noice pickup from the extra wiring) These are a twist on the long tried and true Dynaco Mark III with all the short coming of the original design left out while keeping its strength which for the most part was the excellant Iron nothing much else is the same. The amps can be configured to make 22 watts EL34/Triode to 60 watts KT88/Ultra Linear and everything inbetween by a simple a switch of the rectifier tube, output tubes and biasing the amp. They will be custom built to some extent. I do not want to sell that many of them to tell you the truth. I do not want to get any bigger then I can handle myself.

Craig

Beautifull work Craig, I always loved a tube amp with the tubes in full view like that. How much power does it have?Is the amp stereo or does a person need 2 of them? Is it a set amp or PP.I see it looks like you can hook a pair of speakers to it, whats that single jack to the right of the speaker jacks for? Is that were the preamp hooks to. Sorry for all the questions.

Yossarian,

Yup Mono blacks the only way to Heaven !! They max configuration is 60 watts. I personally like them best at about 30 watts KT88/6550 stapped in triode. But if you want to rock you just turn them off throw the switch (should check the bias) and Rock out ! These things will do some serious Plaster piling (Guy's words) with Lascalas or Khorns in this mode !! The instantanuos peak wattage is over 100 watts in KT88/UT 60 watt mode.

----------------

On 1/13/2004 12:21:54 AM MarkBK wrote:

Craig,

looks great - how about a final cabinet in Rosewood with chrome top plate and black tranformers? Anxious to hear how is sounds! I assume this is coming with you to Smilin's?

Mark
2.gif
----------------

That is why I said screw it! The parts have been here for months and after the Xmas on slaught of work I had to say enough ! I'm getting these ready for Smilins and the AK fest in Febuary then I will sell this set for a deal. I had near 1K invested in different transformers from 4 different vendors alone to try and it was killing me not having time to work it all out. Now there done its all cosmetic's from here on. Not sure about rose wood that stuff cost some cheese. But I guess if someone else is paying the bill and willing to wait its possible. I am to please and please and please !!

Craig

Think of these as MK III's on steroids. Craig basically took the MK III design as far as it can go. I think there's also an ultralinear/triode switch in there somewhere. Craig will optimize the circuit depending on what the buyer wants, since you can't have both PERFECT ultralinear operation & PERFECT triode operation.

You can stain them just about any color you like. If Craig stays with the Welborne chassis, he could even order it in the actual wood that you want. At any rate, I'm sure they are killer.

I kind of like the idea of a nice transformer cover --

Dean,

Actually Welbourne only offers these chassis in Alder or Walnut. He only does the custom stuff for his own amps. It really doesn't matter I've decided to have a cabinet maker custom make them here locally. We have a great local lumber yard that you can order any type of wood you like so anyhthing is really possible it will just take time.

Craig

60Watts of tube power... that sounds delicious!9.gif

Seriously Craig, those look quite nice. I'd go with chrome tranny covers and chrome the base as well. Is the neg. binding post a little lower than the positives?

So how much would a pair of these set me back? If you feel you may get slammed by others you can email it to me.14.gif Or screw 'em and post it. 2.gif

Damn, I'm piddling around to spit out a post and you guys create a whole page thread.

I know what you are saying Guy, but for most people it isn't practical to have the jacks anywhere else because of placement constraints. I imagine these amps will evolve a little over time though. Still, we're only talking inches here.