Well what does everyone think ???

NOSValves

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan,

I've seen many component built similar to this and I don't plan on getting UL listed anyway but I hear what your saying. I'm pretty sure in the end I'm going to put a metal plate on the rear anyway it's just to much of a pain to cut everything out with wood. Errors are just to easily done I think a nice metal plate wood look pretty cool also.

The switch is not designed to be used on the fly. This will be clearly stated in the instruction included with the amp. There is very little current flowing through the switch anyway I just don't see it being a problem since there are many companies doing it the exact same way.

I have no clue what you have against wood LOL !! Its natures best insulator all though it is flamable 9.gif

----------------

On 1/13/2004 1:14:43 AM Johnny dB wrote:

"I'll send you a framed picture to hang on your wall"

NOS Valves VRD

hhmmmm....

Very Reputable Dealer

or

Variable Reactance Drive

I'll take that picture now. You can send it back to me with my 299B.

2.gif
----------------

Sorry not even close !!

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/13/2004 1:41:51 AM NOSValves wrote:

Very redundant device Heck you guy's have me guessing and I know the answer ! I'm going to bed !

----------------

varying recipes delight, check your email and paypal account you little pisher12.gif maybe you can get a better nights sleep now2.gif and make mine Khorn delivered by Craig11.gif

OK I see a single input and 2X2 outputs - why? 8 ohm / 4 ohm option, biwiring?

Otherwise looks great to me - hey I like wooden amps - they are all I have ever owned. Not sure about the black iron though - chromed would be nice...

No comments on the wiring - sorry - not my area - if it works when it is powered up that is all that I care about.

Going to build a pre-amp to go with these?

Nice work. I might quibble about the spacing for tubes/trans and a few odds and ends but all related to minor personal opinion issues dealing with aesthetics etc. I agree about the plate for the jacks, although jeff ran into some pain here on grounding issues. IF you are getting custom top plates and cabs, I would perhaps try to get the output iron/PS trans just a bit farther apart (you actually have a tad bit more room no this chassis too - Jeff's are a tad over an inch apart here). Nice you have them at opposing angles - smart thing electrically and something everyone should do even though you still see a few that dont. Another point, you might move the speaker binding posts a bit farther apart to accomodate customer speaker wire spade options. At that distance, some spades would be very tight. Better to move a bit now. Surprised you didnt go all point to point wiring within but know the board saves much time and wiring hassle. What made you decide on Sonicaps? Which version are they? You offering cap options for the board?

I think a polished aluminum top plate would look very cool and vintage as well. Might cost too much. I like the metal over the black. A bronze top plate looks cool too. Like the Welborne wood base though unlike Jeff, I tend to prefer it horizontally arranged. A final thought, I would use a different toggle on/off switch and NOT mount it on the wood front. I love the look of the Audio Research and early CARY toggle switches.

Nice workmanship, though. Nice Clean wiring job.

kh

Horizontal arrangement actually affords better isolation -- I agree with that, KH. Aesthetically, I find the linear setup (ala Horus)pretty nice, but I came very close to installing parts in a horizontal orientation. Arranged in that fashion, it was possible to get some significant distance between AC/PSU components and signal input/output stages. George Wright has his 2A3 monoblocks done the same way. I don't want get into specifics, since it is all way outdated now, but at the time I wished to reflect the relationship to the original JFL Horus. Also, the chassis I bought lended themselves toward the linear (or vertical)installation of transformers and tube sockets.

Craig: Really nice job on these! I was particularly impressed with the interior, which reflects considerable practice in all of this -- a great looking amp! The proximity of power and OP transformers are virtually identical to that of Jeff's PP 2A3 shown in the earlier thread. I've seen DIY chassis considerably more crowded and perform perfectly.

Craig,

I'll buy your beast, and I'll be happy to send you one large as a deposit in the next two weeks. Give me a ring at your leisure and we can talk bidness.

The VRD reminds me of my college roommate. We would have massive parties on our floor every weekend. Since Paul and I had the baddest stereo on the floor(the entire dorm, for that matter,) we would end up in the first room by the elevator for the year, regardless of whatever room we initially were assigned. Everyone knew we needed a big room to hold all the music and stereo equipment, and all benefitted from having all the girls stop by for the party. Paul had a radar for girls with social diseases, it seemed6.gif So, in honor of Paul and being a badass amp magnet for parties, you named it Venereal Diseases. Truly sweet, bub!9.gif

When is the Arkansas get together, or was that the Alaska get together(AK?)

I can't make Smiling in Chicago, but I definitely (and Henry prob) would book in for Arkansas if invited. We would be 12.gif12.gif !