Well what does everyone think ???

NOSValves

Oops, for got to say sweet!! I will start saving up for the latest release. You know, wait till all the bugs are worked out and get the final, final release.

So are you saying these beat your Mark III's like Dean mentioned? They are an offshoot using all the best of the Marks' with major improvements?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work craig!3.gif

If they sound as good as your MarkIIIs you've got a winner on your hands. Have you thought of buying your top plates longer by the base depth and having your metal shop form a back panel after they punch the holes? Then by using a three sided wood chassis surround you have met Ryan's concerns and have the ascetically pleasing wood base.

Boy don't you just love us Monday morning quarterbacks?

Rick

Craig,

Looks sweet. Interesting options. Rick's suggestion was a good one about the backplate. I think Ryan's about the chrome was, too. Not getting much fresh air these days, huh?

BTW, you were absolutely right about the improvement of the 299A with the transformer replaced. It's good to have it home.

SSH1.gif

Okay this will be a long reply answering one question at a time.

Maxg

The outputs are 4, 8, and 16 ohm the taps were available on the output transformer so why not use them I figured.

Kelly and a few others,

I have no clue why everyone is so concerned with transformer placement or why. This amp is dead silent no hum, hiss or noise at all thru my 104db speakers, is this an SET issue? I really think most of you must have had issues with noise at one time or another I just never have the transformers are no closer together then the Mark III's. If I was to spread the transformers apart and make the amp any wider they would not fit on the same shelf in many racks. The Output transformer is as far over as it can be with the nut snugly up against the corner support on the wood chassis. I would like more room also but this design is working great so I see no point in changing it electrically in any major way.

Circuit board... Well Kelly I used it because #1 it saved time not money I could point to point it cheaper actually. The biggest reason is noise point to point is very touchy about noise pickup this board is part of why the design is dead silent and its an absolute proven and tweaked design with me using it myself for the last 8 months?

Kelly I agree on your cosmetics completely I think polished anything would look great. In all actuality this amp looks great in person my camera just doesn't do it justice.

I see your point on the Large spades I think what would solve it would be just moving the Neg binding post over no one will ever have to spades side by side unless they use the 4 ohm tap. Something I never looked at since I used Bananas here.

Those are not MIT caps. There Sonicaps and capacitors options are anything under the sun!!

Eric,

Thanks for the kind words! I was expecting more suggestions from you though 2.gif

Neo,

Think outside the circle dude!! Of course they come with a bottom plate just kind a hard to take a wiring shot with it on

Dave,

Do you mean you want this first set? If so there yours! The deal will be substantial for allowing me to show them at the upcoming events I have plus there not perfect in every way.

Bill,

well not sure about the free trial. Not that I wouldn't love to but I'm not made of cash and can't afford to make another set at this time more from a time issue then money. Oh and there really are no bugs my friend it works fine the changes in this amp over my own amps could not make any bugs to talk about.

Mark,

I wanting for suggestion from you with great anticipation! The top plate is held on with machine screws into anchors.

Colin,

sooner or later you will get to review it for Enjoy the music. But I think I will build the final cosmetic product for you first.

3Dzapper

I would worry too much about the strength of a 3 sided wood arrangement I have been tossing around forgetting the cosmetic custom options all together and offering it with a custom chassis from http://www.iagaudio.com/default.htm though maybe I can talk him into different wood options.

Shh,

Thanks I think a back plate is a must and its not too late to cut this one out and install actually. But operationally speaking will make no difference really. Does the 299 seam to have better top to bottom control now?

Mark101

The front end is on the board as in driver and phase splitter. Thanks for the thumbs up<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Man this took as long as building the amps

Craig

Craig,

I think the suggestions offered so far cover the important stuff (backplate panel for input/outputs. Coming back to cosmetics - since we are on the Klipsch site - why not make the top plate, backplate and Xformers Copper colored with a dark wood base - like Walnut, Mahogany, Koa or Rosewood. Complete it with a small incribed NOSValues nameplate in black lettering - and you have a great finished product! Beautiful inside and out with a no nonsense design.

Mark

Craig,

No doubt, you can answer your own question-Yes. I'm just surprised that the difference is so audible. I'm not sure how much the new cans have to do with it, but it's much improved. You'd had to have heard it before to discern, but it's obvious to me.

On the backplate- A three-sided would be more rigid with a top & back plate that is one piece.

SSH

----------------

On 1/13/2004 12:37:50 PM Guy Landau wrote:

Will you be offering a tranferable unlimited upgrading policy for the buyers? (joking)
----------------

To you only Guy I'm absolutely positive you would never look back once you have seen the light 2.gif

----------------

On 1/13/2004 3:37:42 PM BigBusa wrote:

Craig those look awesome! Nice Job!!!!!!!

I like the power switch and would think a power on indicator lamp nearby would be a nice touch.

vacuum real direct?
----------------

Thanks Don...Is right in the switch close enough for you ? It has a light right in it !

I know everyone is hung-up on wood based tube amplifiers around here.

But I wonder how cost effective it would to find a sheetmetal shop with a CNC sheetmetal punch press and a brake, buy blanks from them in whatever gauge one desires, have them punch out the chassis's, and bend them up on a brake.

They may even have a in-house paint department, or have them powder-coated.

EEK! That's gettin' kinda spendy soundin'.

Yeah, they will look more utilitarian, but would make for quicker assembly.

I guess it's all up to the customer.

Ya know, the types that want the last tree in the rainforest for the base, inlayed with extinct animal parts, solid gold for the chassis plate,gold plated transformer's with pure silver windings and internal chassis wiring, and don't forget those cryogenic tubes.

Sprinkle with chunks of Amber throughout. How much money you got brother?!!2.gif