Well what does everyone think ???

NOSValves

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fini,

Really you didn't have to give references at all. Tell you what if your game and once I recover from the enormous expense the testing and building these. Why don't I have a set of welbourne labs shipped to your place and you can prep them for a set of amps. This way you can copy the dimensions and add more flavor to the chassis. The holes in the wood will be a simple thing to get straight. This way my templates will be of a perfect size for the new improved chassis. I'm pretty sure I'm going to just have you cut the back out for a metal plate for mounting the AC cord, RCA and speaker binding posts. I think finding someone to make the top plates here will be fairly easy once I find time to do the leg work.

Craig

Tom,

I'm looking for a marketing and public relations VP are you up for the job 2.gif Of coarse the pay won't be much I just added up all the cost to build these babies Ouch let me say that again Ouch ! Maybe this wasn't such a good Idea after all 7.gif

Craig

I think you should take advantage of what the Chinese have to offer, and seem to do quite well -- and shoot Mr. Lam Wing an email to see what he can for you. I would then send the chassis' to Robar for the final finish of your choosing.

"Let's make the amp bases out of Priority Mail boxes.  They're free at the P.O.!"

Great idea, that way the amps could be send thru the mail like post cards without alot of packing materials etc. Just put some stamps on them. I think it would look cool with the postage just left on them.

Seriously though, fini is a very high quality wood worker. You should see the custom oak cabinet he made for his antique pen collection! He has made custom cases for my keyboards and I have seen the various work he has done over the years, great stuff. He knows all the tricks of the trade.

C&S

----------------

On 1/12/2004 11:43:34 PM NOSValves wrote:

Well here is my latest work. I wasn't going to post it up here but too many people told me why not if some people don't like it oh well. This is basically a test of how the chassis lay out will be. I haven't completely settled on the final chassis will be but it will be very close to what you see. Of coarse the wood could be stained darker and be Walnut or Oak this one is Alder and just Oiled right now, The top plate could possible be black or chrome or ?, The end bells will be the wrap around type/lipped from now on and could be black, hammer tone, Chrome ?? Its incredible how long this all takes when starting from scratch and having to punch all the holes and drill router and fit all the fitting to the wood chassis. Dont ask how it sounds because it would be like blowing my own horn. You all get to hear from others sooner or later.<?xml:namespace prefix = o />

The circuit is absolutely final. It can easily run EL34, 6L6, 5881, KT66, KT88, KT90, 6550 and possible a few other output tubes. Its designed for KT88/6550 but does very well with all the others. Its completely bias adjustable and AC balance adjustable. Uses 12AU7 driver, an ECC99 for phase splitter duty, 5AR4 rectifier. The output tubes and Output transformers are fuse protected and any of above can be used.

All opinions are welcome and honesty is what I'm after here. Its your chance to poke at me with no retaliation's (Well except Guy
2.gif"
)

VRD-1.jpg"

VRD-2.jpg"

VRD-3.jpg"

VRD-41.jpg"

----------------

I still think it looks awesome!

Smilin and Piranha;

Use your signature; I am confused as to what equipment you guys have.

AND

You(SMILIN) should post an interim impression of Some of the tube amps tonight.

My LK-48 has 700 + hours on it since the rebuild so I took it to Craig for a check up.

I am listening to my 22 year old Denon PMA-730 SS integrated.

-thin soundstage

-poor 3 dimensional imaging

-not as musical

It is a very simple SS circuit witha large transformer. It is a reasonable SS amp but cannot hold a candle to a decent tube integrated.

I will put LEOK's .5 pound PWM amp in later today.

Not as much slam due to the 8 watt limitation but it is very close to tube performance.

Guest Anonymous

Audioflynn,

I can do that,and hopefully Craig will have his camera for photo downloads. I have been waiting on my sig. till I get better situated and actually hear my stuff2.gif

----------------

On 1/24/2004 1:39:39 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

Smilin and Piranha;

Use your signature; I am confused as to what equipment you guys have.

AND

You(SMILIN) should post an interim impression of Some of the tube amps tonight.

My LK-48 has 700 + hours on it since the rebuild so I took it to Craig for a check up.

I am listening to my 22 year old Denon PMA-730 SS integrated.

-thin soundstage

-poor 3 dimensional imaging

-not as musical

It is a very simple SS circuit witha large transformer. It is a reasonable SS amp but cannot hold a candle to a decent tube integrated.

I will put LEOK's .5 pound PWM amp in later today.

Not as much slam due to the 8 watt limitation but it is very close to tube performance.----------------

As soon as my system is stablized I will possibly use a signature. Right now it would change nearly daily.

My current gear includes the following:

Adcom 5800

Carver TFM 35X

Carver C-5 pre

Sansui 9090DB

Scott 299D (NOSValves)

Scott 272

Dynaco Mark III's

Mapletree Ultra 4A SE PS1 pre

84 Klipsch Cornwalls

77 Klipsch Cornwalls

77 Klipsch Heresys

Philips 963SA

Sony ES DVP-NC555ES

I am likely going to get rid of a portion of the gear, but I am not sure what yet. It's so confusing.

• 2 weeks later...

Had coffee this AM in the NOS Valves Lab.

First exposure to the Mucho Grande Monoblocks.

Sony SACD

Mapletree pre

Craigs amps

LaScalas

===========

A really short session. But 2 really nice SACDs; Norah Jones and SRV "Coulldn't Stand the Weather"

Descriptive terms

Realistic resolution, effortless transients, very unfatiguing, and fine detail.

Skin on snare drum, breath of Norah Jones, sustain on the piano and cymbals. Lifelike!

I have heard Craig's system with LK-48, 299, 208 and Mark III (after mods).

The other amps were all worthy of long term ownership.

The new Craig design was the best I have heard in the lab in 1.5 years of visits.

An acheivment worthy of family heirloom status.