OT calculators

easylistener

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In truth, my last purchase was to find some NOS slide rules to send to my old buddies as Christmas presents.

I get by with an HP 200 LX palm top. It has emulations of the classic HP scientific and business calcs. Plus the original Lotus 1-2-3. The thing is a great computer because it is a classic DOS machine, always on, and always light enough to carry around. It runs for 10 hours continuous, if needed, on a set of AA. Since it times out, that equates to months of use.

If I ever got back into hard core EE, I'd go with the most high power HP which I understand can solve differential equations . . in which I'm very weak.

Gil

I have had a Sharp EL9300 for quite a few years... it's proven to be very reliable, and relatively inexpensive initially. If it were to die... TI would probably be amongst my top choices now.

Do the recent HP's still use the "inverse polar notation" (sp?) or was that faded out along with steam-powered locomotives?? 2.gif11.gif

Rob

I have a TI-89. It's awesome. It will solve for x and so, so, soooooo much more. It is a PITA to learn, but once you understand how it works, it's quick and easy.

The TI-92 is not allowed on most tests like the SAT, ACT, etc., so be careful. Also, the 92 is a pig and attracts a lot of attention (not a bad thing sometimes.) The 89 looks like a 83, and no one notices it.

How about an old calculator story?

When I was in electronics school every thing was calculated on a "slap stick"(Pickens slide rule). Late in my last year,1974, I bought a TI "scientific" calculator. I could finally afford one as I had gotten a job as an engineer at a local radio station. It added, subtracted,multiplied,divided, did square roots and inverse numbers. It cost $300 in 1974. That would be about $1500 today!

Rick

I am still plugging away with my trusty old TI-68 calculator that I had for nearly the past 12 years (since my junior year in college). One of the first calculators with an Alphanumeric display. The main reason I still use this thing is because it still has one of the nicest interfaces for doing Hex/Decimal/Octal/Binary conversions and math, which I do alot of in my job. I paid nearly $80 for the thing around 1991 or so, if I recall correctly. I also still very clearly remember using slide-rules while in the Army. One of the requirements in the Field Artillery FDC was to be able to calculate the fire solutions using manual calculations, which means slide-rules, firing tables, maps/charts and range/deflection protractors (RDP) or "charts and darts" in the lingo - cannot depend on the computer to keep working during the heat of combat.

ti-68calc.jpg

post-3829-13819251453086_thumb.jpg

Calculator? Last one I bought was a Casio CM-100, a long, long time ago. I bought it because it does binary, octal and hexadecimal with a 1, 4, 8, 16 or 32 bit word size. I was doing a lot of firmware and system software back then.

Now I don't use one very often. I usually have some sort of computer in front of me or near me I can use for complicated stuff. I just do basic math in my head or with a pencil when I need to. Never though I would buy another. But I am teaching a math class for welders this semester and using a calculator for trig functions is easier than looking them up in tables. So, I'll be getting a new calculator. I can get one that will do the job for about $12. But I'll probably splurge and spend $25 or so and get something that can do regressions and other statistical functions.

FWIW my brother had that same early HP scientific calculator. Remember Reverse Polish Notation? IIRC it was followed not log after by the first programmable calculator for around $800. My first calculator was a Litton, as in the folks who invented the microwave oven. It cost $105 in 1973 and had memory and square root, nothing else. It had a LED display and rechargeable NI-CAD batteries.

Had a TI-51a for years that was my brother's when he was in high school (74'-76'). Then it was an Omron 88 about 1978(don't laugh, it worked anyway). Now it's a very trusty HP-12c. Not glorious to have anymore but again, it works.

O.k.!! Who here had a TI-30 way back when!!??

Here's another one:

http://www.vintagecalculators.com

TI-89 all the way. I never understood those HP people...what is going on in their minds 3.gif. I can do a lot of stuff on my 89 that I used to have to do on Maple or Matlab or other math computer software. "Pretty Print" I thought was a nice upgrade from my 83. And it works fairly well with matrices which is a plus. And for those that say "I use my brain," try working out triple integrals in your head sometime, have fun 9.gif.

I had one of the HP and I loved it. It was stolen and that is why I bought the 92+. I had a ti-85 in high school and that broke, I liked it though. I will miss the Inverse polish notation. It was very fast if you figured it out. And yes Polish, that is what it was called. I am not making fun of anybody.