m00n gots a new toy! Oh yeah, hand me them speaker plans!

m00n

Moon, since it appears you are planning on a full-fledged wood shop...here are some suggestions. One of the handiest things to have around when you really need it is a tilt-table oscillating drum sander. Industrial grade ones tend to run into big bills, but Grizzly has a nice one for under 200 bucks that will do just about anything you will ever need...oscillating drum sanders are perfect for any kind of inside radius work. They also are p

The most used floor-standing power tools in a pattern shop are the disc sander, the oscillating drum sander, the lathe, the bandsaw, and the thickness planer...in that order. You would be surprised at what can be done with just those tools!!

You would ALSO be surprised at what can be done with a floor-standing mill in woodworking situations! But you would find few woodworkers outside of pattern shops who could teach you the art of woodworking on a mill. Suffice it to say...some really fine putter heads and wedge-heads can be made from Osage Orange and/or lignum vitae!...among other things!

[img src='http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/9.gif'>

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy... I've been thinking about one of these.

EB4424.jpg

You take the entire belt aparatus out and replace it with a oscillating spindle sander. It's two tools in one. I think it was $200.00 at Home Depot. What do you think? It seemed to be build rather decently. I wish they had another image, one with the oscillating spindle sander too but they dont. They do in the manual that's on the product page for this I'm sure.

So what did you say the first project will be? My list is growing fast for the summer. Heres a desk I built my wife for her office. I used Solid oak, and oak plywood, along with an mdf top covered with black laminate. Next I think she needs some book shelves, I had to somewhat clean up the area, you could barely see it being so cluttered.

desk.jpg

post-13769-13819251652746_thumb.jpg

Moon, I would go with the Grizzly tilt-table oscillating spindle sander, myself. I you find a need for a stationary belt sander, then get one of those...but when you have combo tools, you will end up not using them as much because you will tire of having to set them up for particular uses all of the time....back and forth, back and forth. It is often wise for the time-strapped craftsman to have tools for specific jobs so that set-ups don't have to be torn down all of the time, then re-set back to where they were again. One thing about a tool built for a specific purpose is that it has more variety in its PARTICULAR usage ...such as the large variety of different diameter spindles one can get for one like the Grizzly...as opposed to the one in the pic you posted, that has to stay that size or smaller on its spindle diameter in order to also work with a sanding belt. Having the entire table-top being able to tilt is also a big plus on the Grizzly...think about it. Your money...your call!

Moon, there really isn't anything that HD or Lowes sells in power tools that I am not familiar with. Yes, the front of that table tilts, but the whole table top doesn't...that was what I was getting at. Jet makes a very nice table top oscillating spindle sander on which the entire table top tilts out to 45 degrees...that tabletop is also solid steel...for around 300 bucks...hint, hint...Grizzly buys up a volume of floor models of this type about twice a year and sells them off for around 180 bucks apiece, too!

• 10 months later...

----------------

On 2/21/2004 12:02:01 PM m00n wrote:

Andy... I've been thinking about one of these.

EB4424.jpg

You take the entire belt aparatus out and replace it with a oscillating spindle sander. It's two tools in one. I think it was $200.00 at Home Depot. What do you think? It seemed to be build rather decently. I wish they had another image, one with the oscillating spindle sander too but they dont. They do in the manual that's on the product page for this I'm sure.

----------------

Forgot to reply, I got one of those about 10 months ago or so...

And OH by the way.... Loookie at what else has made it into my shop....

It's a rockler router table tablesaw insert. It fits between the rails on my tablesaw. Was a bit of a hassle getting to put in and installed JUST right, but it's very nice. Got the fence as well.

23335-md.jpg

Oh and lets not forget this new planer.

DW734_1.gif

YUP, a little bit of tool gloat! 9.gif

Great another home improvement freak 2.gif You must have all Home Improvement tapes

Its good to have a few power tools(I have a few DeWalt and Milwaukee power tools myself)but looks like you have a complete machine shop in there mOOn. 1.gif

Also purchased a Campbell Hausfeld 2HP compressor/tank to clean my R/C.A good investment

Erdric--if you look up the back issues of WOOD magazine from the winter of '98-'99 (or thereabouts, I'm not exactly sure) they had an article about building a cyclone dust collector. I built one for my shop back home and it worked suprisingly well for MUCH less than the cost of a factory-built Oneida cyclone. 1.gif1.gif

General makes some really nice stuff. I've worked on a General cabinet saw in a friend's shop (3hp, 220v IIRC) and it cut just as smooth as any saw I've ever seen. The only problem with General machinery that I can see is that their distribution network isn't as extensive as Delta/Jet/Powermatic, et al so getting parts (in the rare instance you might need spares/replacements) might be tough.

----------------

On 1/24/2005 10:12:30 AM Joe Shmoe wrote:

mOOn, noticed these on eBay.... they are 8" but they will work won't they? Pretty good price anyway.

----------------

Boy I dunno. Dado blades are so spendy that I've kinda shyed away from them. Those are priced nice though.

I've been figuring that I would just create dados with a router. I seen an article in.... I think it was a shopnotes mag. Had a really nice router bit that was designed for dados and makes a sweeeet cut.

m00n, I sure could have used that t/s over the weekend. I was doing the wainscoating/beadboard around the bottom of the whirlpool tub in our bathroom and needed to cut a few lengthwise, only 3" wide, trying to cut off 1" with a circular saw was interesting, to say the least.

I keep telling my wife that I need more tools if she wants me to be doing all this stuff around the house, she keeps coming up with some flimsy excuse about needing money more than tools... 7.gif

Looks like you've got most of the bases covered as to what I intend on getting once I have the walls up for the wood shop, more than a little green on this end.

m00n,

You may have disclosed this already but which planar and which jointer do you have? I am looking for both. I have been looking at the Rigid stuff at HD. I have their contractor 10" table saw, mainly because space is limited and I can fold it up and wheel it into a corner.

R/Jim

EDIT: Nevermind Just wandered back through got my answers. Note to self.."Read THE ENTIRE post before asking nest time Jim......"

----------------

On 1/24/2005 11:44:44 AM J.4knee wrote:

m00n,

EDIT: Nevermind Just wandered back through got my answers. Note to self.."Read THE ENTIRE post before asking nest time Jim......"

----------------

Why? That takes all the fun out of it. 2.gif

I like all the ridgid tools I've purchased so far. For the weekend warrior they seem more than adiquate. The only reason i went with the dewalt planer was because it's a 3 blade whereas the ridgid is a 2 blade. Now, many have said that they have the ridgid planer and say they love it. But I figure hey... the yellow will give a nice accent to all the orange.