"Passion Of The Christ"

love_hertz

----------------

On 3/1/2004 7:17:28 PM love_hertz wrote:

Just got home from the theater!! Went and seen "Passion of the Christ", all I can say is WOW!!! Awesome movie and audio, what are your takes on this movie? If you have not seen it yet go out watch it

----------------

Those aren't the words I'd use to describe the movie. I saw it yesterday with my wife and her family (I'm Jewish, they're Catholic). It was 2 hours of blood and gore as they did their best to recreate the event as they believed it to have occurred. I won't get into the specifics of how I felt about it being a Jew, but referring to it as you would say, "Terminator 3" or "The Fast and the Furious", just doesn't seem appropriate. Maybe I just misunderstood your gist of your post.

Nothing personal. Just MHO.

sorry if i have offended you, that was not the purpose!! Just meant that it was the first movie in a while that keep my attention through the whole movie. Yep it was gore but I don't look at in a negative way, I look at it as the pain and suffering Jesus went through for US. But I guess there is always 2 sides to a story everyone is entitled to an opinion this is just mine.

I certainly wasn't offended. Maybe my reaction to your post was inappropriate. If so, I apologize. It was definitely a gut-wrentching film. Not one I'd bring the little ones to see. My kids (16 & 21) didn't speak much on the way home.

Last Saturday, I sat at a dinner table listening to someone vehemently claiming that the brutality was unrealistic. I seemed to recall, from my bible-reading, that the Christ was beaten beyond recognition. So I looked it up and there it is in Isaiah 52:14 "His appearance was was marred more than any man. And his form more than the sons of men." Not to make this an issue, but I guess if "Mel" wanted to be accurate, he certainly made sure that he was. But there were also a couple of Catholic-only items that are not in context.

I guess if anyone wanted to do a movie about the Crusades, Catholics would either cringe and stutter or go out of their way to apologize for this very dark chapter of their church. I think this movie will make everyone think about atrocities of all kinds and the blindness of those who inflict undue punishment on innocents. Well, at least it is a hope. "I may be dreamer, but I'm not the only one." (Too bad Lennon believed only in himself. Humanness does not inspire much when your legacy is a life of drugs, sex and rock and roll.)

----------------

On 3/1/2004 7:37:32 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 3/1/2004 7:17:28 PM love_hertz wrote:

Just got home from the theater!! Went and seen "Passion of the Christ", all I can say is WOW!!! Awesome movie and audio, what are your takes on this movie? If you have not seen it yet go out watch it

----------------

Those aren't the words I'd use to describe the movie. I saw it yesterday with my wife and her family (I'm Jewish, they're Catholic). It was 2 hours of blood and gore as they did their best to recreate the event as they believed it to have occurred. I won't get into the specifics of how I felt about it being a Jew, but referring to it as you would say, "Terminator 3" or "The Fast and the Furious", just doesn't seem appropriate. Maybe I just misunderstood your gist of your post.

Nothing personal. Just MHO.

----------------

Have to go with garymd on that one. I'd definitely recommend seeing it, but don't know if I'd want to see it a second time, and I definitely would not like to see an "extended DVD edition." It was difficult to watch, but I'm glad I saw it.

I watched the movie yesterday and while it wasn't a life-altering experience, I felt somewhat humbled at the time, but it didn't leaving any lasting effects. I applaud Mr. Gibson, but after all, it was only a movie. No one here was there to see these events, so no one can say anything with any validity. It's one man's take on an event. For those who call the brutality extreme, remember that man who was was dragged to death by chains behind a truck a few years ago. We have terrible things happen every day - 'the evil that men do.' End of semi-rant.

Got to love the old movie industry , try and make a buck on anything.

Whats the matter the whole black vs white gig getting old ?

Don't have the russians to pick on anymore ?

Little to touchy to take on the sandrats again , oww that last bomb really hurt , what the hell did the goverment think was going to happen after years of pulling there underhanded crap over there ?

This movie can do " NO " good what so ever , all it's going to accomplish is making the movie industry richer and haveing 2 groups of rival religons start hating one another over who killer christ .

Just look at the middle east !!! What do you think the whole " BS " is all about over there .??? Comes down to beliefs from the past .

I beg to differ with you BackBurner...you are entitled to your opinion I know, but I have to disagree. I was brought up with the Christian faith, I do not pursue it as I should BUT... I think the movie even though I haven't seen it will make people take a look at their faith a little closer. I had the opportunity this past weekend to go with some friends to see it but I declined, I do not think it's something I would want to see with friends because I think for me personally my night would be done after the movie2.gif I hope to see it this week/end maybe.

Kinda same topic... anyone into any oldschool christian rock (Petra, Stryper, Barren Cross etc..)?

JOE SHMOE

Come back and we'll have this talk once you've seen the movie , i've seen it.

There was no hugging going on in the lobby as we were leaving, lots of head shaking ,thats about all .

Mankind is doomed if we persist in living in the past. Were suppose to learn from our mistakes not arbour grudges that last for centuries.

>all it's going to accomplish is making the movie industry richer

I have to agree with statement. If Mel really wanted to get this out to the masses why not air it as a public Documentary, why release it in the theatres? Just a thought.

My wife and I have talked at length about viewing this movie but I don't think we will. I seen virtually all mainstream religious movies of the past but I think I'm going pass on this one.

Grateful

----------------

On 3/2/2004 8:29:50 PM Grateful11 wrote:

I have to agree with statement. If Mel really wanted to get this out to the masses why not air it as a public Documentary, why release it in the theatres? Just a thought.

----------------

I dunno about that... Something tells me that American television isn't quite ready for that. Plus there are probably huge production costs for this type of movie. But yeah, it isn't all that great that they're going to make millions off of this... I dunno why, but it doesn't really seem right.

Without speaking for Gibson, I really don't think making money was the point of this movie. As far as it being in theaters versus some other publicly-accessible medium: showing it in theaters is a much more controlled exposure. Say you wanted to show it on tv, what channel? a network? If aired un-edited, how could cautious parents keep their kids from watching this movie? If aired edited it would damage the integrity of the film. What about showing it on cable, like HBO or something? Limited access. Not everyone gets the movie channels, I don't. On the other hand you can show it in theaters where the price of admission functions as a protection. Now any adult that wants to see the movie can, and any parent who thinks their child is mature enough to see the movie can come too. Those that don't want to see the movie don't have to. And the integrity of the film is maintained. I don't see any greed here.

Backburner wrote, "Mankind is doomed if we persist in living in the past. Were suppose to learn from our mistakes not arbour grudges that last for centuries"

Backburner-what did you think of Schindler's List?

What is the basis for the accusations of this movie being made purely for commercial (i.e. profit) reasons? Have you seen the interviews with Mel? I have, and it would appear that profit is one of the last things on his mind, IMHO. In fact, it seems to me that Mel went to extraordinary measures when creating this movie to depict what actually happened, which is quite different than today's mainstream Hollywood who seem to produce movies that are quite revisionist in nature.

David

The reason Mel probally didn't make a documentary out of it is because it took about every penny he has. I am sure he needed some money back to live. I think it's great their is a well known actor that is christian. Unlike most of them scientologist that beleive that L ron Hubbard is god. Give me a break you freaken hollywood weirdos