My Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" arrived today

BigBusa

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/5/2004 8:46:03 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Is this a great country or what!? You can be bored by genius and wear your igorance on your sleeve and be PROUD!

DAMN!

----------------

Just like the democrats! JK Sorry I couldn't help myself! I certainly don't want to turn this into a political thread but the potential irony was irresistable!6.gif9.gif13.gif

Don, you may want to listen to it at different times of day to see if you have a different reaction. I am new to Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Tina Brooks......and still trying to develop an understanding....but i have found that i definately "relate" to it later in the day. just my experience, patrick

Yep, we learned real quick in college, the girls will chase you if you have the music they like. Your life is going to be dominated by chicks so you might as well learn what they like early in the game. Also, if they are in your dorm room, then you can flip the tables and get them to like what you like6.gif

Miles Davis is an acquired taste, best listened to after dark when you are relaxed, with a good drink in hand. Kind of Blue is a good unwinding album, reflective and introspective. Don will go bonkers if he tries to listen to it with Chevelle or Stryper.

What you gotta do Don is listen to like Slayer "Welcome to Hell" to get all wound up tighter than a banjo string, then listen to Miles to come down.

Kind of like taking a big line of crystal meth, and then back it up with a big line of coke.

Oh well, Miles still kicks *** over Norah Jones, now that's boring.

BigBusa, I've purchased about 65 Jazz LPs and/or CDs over the past eight months. Most have been recommended by Allan Songer and I have enjoyed all but perhaps one or two. If you really want to give Bop, Hard Bop and West Coast Jazz a chance, I recommend you check out several of the old Jazz threads and take a close look at what Allan, jazzman, moble and a few others have posted. Even garymd knows a thing or two about the subject!

Man, BB, that's hard to believe. I went to hear the Australian guitarist Tommy Emmanuel play a solo concert about a week ago and I took a friend who just didn't 'get it'. I feel most frustrated when shared tunes that I love don't resonate with the folks I'm sharing with. To each his own, I guess.

It's still difficult for me to believe that you can't hear the genius there.

Forrest