Rat Shack vs Best Buy

Unfortunatly, BB is THE stereo place around here. (Middle Of Nowhere, MN) I just got off the phone with Eric, asking him about the benefits of "Monster Cable" type speaker wire. Although he stuttered and stammered quite a bit, all he could really say was that it had less resistance than other wires, and that he would deffinatly recommend it if I were buying speaker wire. No specifics, other than it had better copper in it than their cheaper brand. I think Eric needs a little more training in wire sales. I then called Radio Shack and spoke to Gary. I asked him if all they carried was the Radio Shack branded wire, or if they had something to compare to the higher end wire. He said that, in all honesty, that the bigest thing to worry about was the gauge of the wire and having a good connection, that a lot of the wire information you hear is all sales hype. Hats off to Gary, my new bud. Just thought I'd share that with you guys. Not to say that someone can't hear a difference in wire, or that Rat Shack is the best place to buy wire, just a casual observation.

To expand on that thought, beer budget, I have found that " most " salesmen know absoulutely nothing about products they try to sell. Most of the time, I could educate them. They rely on weak minds and deep pockets in order to make a few bucks, instead of educating themselves and helping customers make sound decisions.

I hear ya, Micheal. Whenever I go in to make a purchase I have my investigations already done, my poop in a group, so to speak, and often know a lot more than the guy/gal that is trying to sell me the item, be it a piece of stereo equipment, a car, a new fishing pole, a power tool, on and on. (Yes, I research fishing poles, know the weight, action, grip style, length, number of guides and guide style, guide materials, usually even the exact model number, before I go to the store to get it. Fortunatly, seems folks at the tackle shops I frequent research their offerings a lot more than the people at most other retailers, tough to not get an answer to a question, they are usually asking me questions regarding application that I hadn't thought of and I sometimes change my selection based on their training.)

I personally preferr Best Buy sales reps, as they seem to know more what they are talking about. I went into a radio shack once asking how much their SPL meter was, and the guy had no idea what I was talking about. I walked around a little bit and found the thing on display on one of the shelves in the back, clearly marked SPL meter. I guess it just depends on your location though.

I went to radioshack once and but 4 rca plugs. at the time, i didnt know how to get the speaker wire in it, so i asked the sales dude. He said that i should just shove it in there and it will work. i didnt believe it, so i asked him if he tried it. of course he has! not. Luckily my Grandpa, who works a Best Buy, showed me how to do it.

----------------

On 3/29/2004 10:17:30 PM Fish wrote:

If you are gonna put wire in the wall I would suggest gettin' on ebay and checkin' out decent quality inwall.You wouldn't be wanting to tear them out.
----------------

"decent quality inwall"..... if it's copper and it has the appropriate rating.... inwall cable is inwall....

after selling the stuff for almost four years i know... copper is copper.....

go to home depot or any local supplier and get the amount you need.....

----------------

On 3/29/2004 9:38:31 PM garymd wrote:

I get my 12 gauge at Home Depot.

----------------

I get my 12 gauge at wholesale sports , mostly SSG or double odd buck gives the best " bass " notes.

Plus if you get sick of listening to your tunes in a traffic jam your double odd buck can help move traffic .

----------------

On 3/29/2004 8:59:27 PM michael hurd wrote:

To expand on that thought, beer budget, I have found that " most " salesmen know absoulutely nothing about products they try to sell. Most of the time, I could educate them. They rely on weak minds and deep pockets in order to make a few bucks, instead of educating themselves and helping customers make sound decisions.

----------------

I began working in the "electronics dept." at Wal-Mart (Why you ask? - I live one mile from the store, keeping my retirement as simple as possible.) approximately five months ago. Most of the time you could educate the salesmen. I can't speak for BB or RS, but this could be due to a lack of product training by the employer. My employer's main concern appears to be having me trained properly in how to run the register. As far as the product line is concerned, training is practically nil. You really have to push to get any education on the products. I've also expressed this to the personnel dept. and management (during my recent evaluation) and frankly I doubt I'll receive the training I need and desire.

I really would like to have the proper information to provide to a customer so that I don't have to sound like a bumbling idiot. It makes my day when I can actually clarify something for a customer by providing accurate information. I for one will tell a customer when I don't know the answer to their question, or at least direct them to a co-worker I think may know. Maybe this isn't good "business", but I don't feel right trying to bull**** my way out of the situation. And yes I do try to educate myself. As far as making a few bucks, I get the same hourly rate whether I sell a roll of speaker wire or a TV.

I need to ask this: how does Radio Shack stay in business? I mean, demand in the mass consumer market for remote controlled toy dune buggies, crappy karaoke machines, and proprietary batteries cannot be that high!

And my geek-dar goes into the red zone even when I just walk by the storefront. I have to laugh b/c my parents bought me and my brother a TRS-80 back in 1979. For those not into nostalgia computers, that was one of the first consumer comps on the market -- right along w/ the Commodore Vic 20. Some called the TRS-80 the "Trash 80."

----------------

On 3/29/2004 10:42:20 PM minn_male42 wrote:

----------------

If you are gonna put wire in the wall I would suggest gettin' on ebay and checkin' out decent quality inwall.You wouldn't be wanting to tear them out.
----------------

"decent quality inwall"
..... if it's copper and it has the appropriate rating.... inwall cable is inwall....

----------------

I purchased inwall for about half price on ebay compared to my "local"supplier.For some reason my "local" supplier thought his "local"copper was superior.I didn't have to sell for even 1 week to know 1/2 price for the same product is better.

----------------

On 3/29/2004 10:42:20 PM minn_male42 wrote:

----------------

----------------

"decent quality inwall"
..... if it's copper and it has the appropriate rating.... inwall cable is inwall....

----------------

Dude, you're wrong. CL-3 rated is double sleeved with a fire resistant outer jacket. That's what makes it inwall rated. It's not about the damned copper.

You really need to get over this kick that home depot 12-gauge is the end-all, be-all.

My local radio shack has a women work there. I tell you what she know's her stuff. I couldn't believe it. Alot smarter than my local bandb or circuit city but I wouldn't consider that local. That is about a hundred miles away. I am thinking she owns the store or something because she knows just about everything you throw at her even wiring your home. She is far to intelligent to be working there unless she owns it. I went to the radio shack about 20 miles away and they didn't know squat. The kid looked up everything i asked him on the internet. And i was like (no don't even bother i can do that). I just wanted to know if you carried a certain product is all. He couldn't even tell me that. He had to look it up on the net. So i guess sometimes you run into those privately owned radio shacks and you get really good service.

I think the Rat Shack people are for the most part knowledgeable enough to be dangerous. BB employees however often either know something VERY well, or not at all cause they don't care.

Rat Shack always condescends to me like I'm the lowly uninformed customer. They also, have been wrong about everything I've ever asked them. I've gone in there for wire questions, cell phone transmission questions, and general electronic questions--they always tell me some BS that they haven't done enough research on, or have "heard about" somewhere...

-I was told that cell phone antennas don't matter, and there was no external "plug in" antenna available that works. Morons. www.wilsonelectronics.com they work great.

--I was told that I shouldn't use seperate RCA plugs, and should only buy them already attached to the wire. morons again

--I watched a buisnessman walk in and ask about a national plan for his cell phone, because he hated extra charges. the rat shack employee then promptly told the man about the "national" plan where I've paid roaming charges in their damn parking lot with before I switched...

at least at BB they don't pretend to care or know, they just point you in the direction of something...

Regarding in-wall wiring...

If you put wire that is not rated for in-wall use in your wall, you might as well not bother carrying homeowners' insurance. Regardless of the voltage going through it, insurance companies will deny any fire claim if they see code violations like that.

That said, the cloth covered wiring in my home is just fine to them!