Klipshorn OLD Vs. NEW

tgourlie

The ALK debate is kind of like speaker wire preference. Some say it sounds better than AA, or whatever network. Some say the AA is better and so on.

I had AK networks originaly in mine. I thought they sounded great, until I put in the ALK. They made my AKs sound like I was listening to a megaphone. My midrange and bass sounds very sweet now.

As for the tube amp comment, I use SS amps, and my ALK was a nice improvement.

Last summer Trey showed a chamber results of the AA, AK4, and ALK. Way over my head, but If I remember properly, the frequency results were simular, but the ALK had a much flater power draw over the spectrum.

Q-man has done a lot of post commenting on the various networks he has tested. Do some searches to read his reviews.

But as others point out, dont worry about this yet. Get your Khorns, and get use to them first.

JM

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no debt. After all of the scholarships I recieved I was + $4,000 a year at school. Plus I worked every summer since I was 16.

How much does AL Klapp charge for these ALK networks? Has anyone hooked two different networks up to the k-horn and used a switch of some kind to just switch back and forth whenever they wanted? Or would the crossover not in use put some sort of draw sitting on the other side of the circuit? Just a crazy idea.

J-M I am so mad I missed the get together a month or two ago. I will have to stop by and check em out. I to am going for an all heritage system.

"I totally disagree with the "having to spend $5K to get them to the 2003/2004 Khorn level" that is absolute nonsense. I would put my pair from '88 up against the 2003/2004 offerings anyday. The changes to the crossover were prompted by the change in drivers since they had to source them elsewhere. They are not going to sound that drastically different at all, I am certain only finely tuned ears would pick up the differences."

I was thinking along the lines of someone picking up a mint later model pair for close to $3K, and then going for the AK-4 upgrade kit at a later date ($1800).

Yes, the crossover changes were prompted by the use of new drivers, but there are also some things about the AK-4 unique only to the AK-4 (and it's not just the use of L-pads).

dee room! dee room! dee room!

In all seriousness, buy then both used, unless of course you don't mind blowing big bucks & like to show the receipts to your freinds & family.

WELCOME MY SON, WELCOME, TO, THE FORUM!

2.gif

----------------

On 4/4/2004 10:18:23 PM DeanG wrote:

I don't know what happened through the early 90s, but what you are saying kind of makes sense. It seems the K55V was a much better driver than the K55M. My initial post regarding the 1985 year was based on several posts by Dennis (DJK) at the Asylum. This was the year he preferred, so I recommend it based primarily on that. I could be wrong, but I think the K55V was an Atlas, and later was Electrovoice. Can anyone confirm if I'm right or wrong here?

I almost wish I would have bought some older Klipschorns, if only to have something to try out different filters. I may have to at least track down some LaScalas to do this. What I do find interesting is that those using low powered triode amps almost universally prefer the Type A, while those using solid state and UL or Pentode PP -- prefer the Type AA, and other newer networks. I still maintain that complexity in a circuit does not necessarily make it inferior or less musical.

----------------

Hey Dean, you're more than welcome to use my '84 Khorns as test subjects if you'd like.2.gif Anything for the sake of progress!10.gif

Fini...

Although this changed here and there, try looking on the upper rear of the tailboard. Sometimes the builder code is stamped in there. Also, try looking at the EDGES of the top panel of the bass bin...the panel that is veneered...look on the open end grain of the poplar lumber core there along the rear angles...there should be a builder code on that for most of them built during that time frame...

The problem with K-horns is that bass bins units were made by one set of builders, whereas the upper cabinets were often made by the folks building the BK's. D-style K-horn cabinets are another story.

Most builders stamped their code into the bass bin itself and ALSO stamped it into the edge of the veneered panel that was mounted to the top of the bass bin later on...to ensure that the bass bin could be traced to the builder. Hope this helps some.

----------------

On 4/6/2004 8:26:07 AM DeanG wrote:

I'm building a set of Type A's right now. Do you want to hear them when I'm done?

----------------

As long as it's alright w/ Craig. I'd be more than happy to take them on a test drive. I could also compare them to the AAs in my LaScalas.9.gif

----------------

On 4/4/2004 10:53:03 PM 3dzapper wrote:

I've still got ALKs in now while I procrastinate on rebuilding my AAs. I may never finish the AAs, the ALKs are so good.

Rick

----------------

I haven't heard the new version of the Klipschorn, but I have a pair of mid-80's in the living room (that don't belong to me) with stock crossovers. I have a pair of 76 KCBR's that I bought for $1000 and refinished ($75) and added a pair of ALK's ($300).

To my ears, the 1976's sound much smoother to me and I'm pretty sure it's in the crossover. $1375 spent for a great pair of Klipschorns borders on the deal of the century for me.

I agree about the car too, although I'm 50/50 as history goes about buying new/used. When I know the seller and how he's cared for the car, I'll buy if I want it (and at a fair price), otherwise I'll buy new. Haven't yet bought a car off a used lot.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

Fini,

I don't know who the first "O" was, but the second "O" was for Ola Mae Davis, who sanded the unit. Your K-horns were built prior to the time that they began using two-letter builder codes and sander codes, for the most part. The factory expanded in late summer 1976 to twice its previous size, which brought more workers into it, thereby necessitating the changeover to two-letter build and sanding codes as folks got trained up as builders and sanders. My code varied from whether I was building solo or with a partner from 1976-1983, but if there was a letter "A" in the builder code during those years, it was me. The only sander that had an "O" of "OD" code from before I started working there until about a year before I left was Ola Mae Davis. Her health began to go and she retired about 1982...she was no spring chicken by then anymore. Bois'd Arc began building K-horns around 1980-1981, if I remember correctly. His builder code had an "R" or "RW" in it...his first name was Robert...he is still with the company today, but not building. Prior to his building K-horns, he was one of the primary parts builders and often came over to be my partner after I started building. He spent time building everything but BK's up til the time I left in September 1983. About the time I got there or a bit afterwards one of the K-horn builders named Oran left...he had been a builder for a number of years but was retiring...his code may have been the "O". Charles and Ronnie built a large number of K-horns from right before I got there until around 1980 or so, even though they were co-foremen by around 1980. Charles normally used either a "C" or a "CH"...ROnnie used either an "R" or a "RB"...BUT Roy Byers also used "RB" for a number of years...but Roy was normally only building BK's at the time...so that his use of the same code was a non-issue since it was only seen on BK's.