Klipsch Knockoffs - Shinall..Have You Seen These?

gullahisland

The most interesting thing to me is their model that is sort of a KLF 30 double woofer/sort of cornwall bottom, and KHorn top section. Now that sounds interesting.

The rest sounds like a small time craftsman garage shop. They might come out great but they are not the real thing.

----------------

On 4/21/2004 4:26:06 AM maxg wrote:

Cant say I have seen those before but I did come across this site:

http://www.csupomona.edu/~esalazar/a3/plans.html

They sell the plans for various very familiar looking speakers for about $50 a pop.

Seems anyone can get in on the act.

Must say I am tempted to build my own KHorns - if only I have corners!!!

----------------

Check out the home page of this site: http://www.csupomona.edu/~esalazar/

It is only a student fictitious class assignment.

----------------

On 4/21/2004 7:32:27 AM mark1101 wrote:

The most interesting thing to me is their model that is sort of a KLF 30 double woofer/sort of cornwall bottom, and KHorn top section. Now that sounds interesting.

The rest sounds like a small time craftsman garage shop. They might come out great but they are not the real thing.

----------------

I noticed that model too - the XT-200. Interesting it also goes higher than the KHorn at 20 KHz top end, as well as deeper according to the specs (30 Hz at -5 dB).

I would love to get to listen to that unit. Heresy on steroids - but I wonder if it is a corner unit? Looks like it from the pics but it is difficult to tell. Can't quite see the point if it is....other than maintaining a family resemblence.

Nice to see that they are not all straight copies though....

The cheaper price, the fact that they are 200 lbs, and the fact that the warranty is for electronics only, not cabinets, shouts MDF or particle board.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve Ruston LA.

I thought that Klipsch was using MDF on all of the newer models - including the K-horns? Is this incorrect? Somebody told me that they stopped using birch plywood some time in the mid to late '80s.

A few more pics of the XT-200, Gary Shinall confirms the efficiency as over 100dB @ 1 meter @ 1 watt. They do not appear to require corners, the standard finish is oiled walnut, other finishes are available on request. Perhaps someone local can audition these, look under the hood and report back?

xt_200.jpg

xt-200-1.jpg

xt-200-2.jpg

I think that a public tip of the hat to PWK is in order, although there is no legal requirement to do so...

We all know a blatant Klipschorn knockoff when we see one, why not just give credit where credit is due? Then I wouldn't have a problem with that at all.

I dug the hybrid 2-part cabinet thing... Not a rip-off there, anyway.

Btw if they sound any good, then isn't it good for KlipschCO to have a little competition? I notice the price is less than half the price of the current Klipschorn.

DM

I imagine you could buy a used Klipschorn in very good shape for less than what these folks want for there new clone speakers. I would much rather have a used Klipsch than what these kolks are trying to sell even if it is new also you could upgrade a klipsch to a nicer model and not lose all the resale value, klipsch will always be worth something because of the name.

A little perspective is in order regarding the Klipschorn clone being "half" the price of a real K-horn.

1st - We have no idea of the quality of drivers, crossover parts (or design), cabinet materials, etc.

2nd - Let's face it. A company the size of Klipsch has a little more overhead than a guy building knockoffs in his garage. Let's see, there's a building, employees, employee benefits, THIS WEBSITE, research and development, insurance and the biggest expense of all (after payroll) MARKETING!

So, no. I won't be tipping my proverbial hat. The lack of candor and forthcomingness (was that a word?6.gif) on the part of Shinall is a bit disturbing to me and I hope that Klipsch nips this in the bud.

Well if Western Electric, GE, RCA and MGM aren't taking offense I don't see why anyone here should.

Listen guys, we're talking 1930s and 40s technology here. No secrets, no Black Magic. In fact the CLOSER a modern speaker is to SOTA circa 1945 the better the speaker.

I e-mailed them and asked for pictures and info about the drivers and crossovers, as well as some internal pictures. I got some generic info back and a note to see the pictures that were not attached. I'll post what I get. I myself would not buy a corvette knockoff just because it looks similar. My philosophy is either buy new or used but buy Klipsch Heritage. I just don't care for imitators in general. Although I am sure there are some who can do a reputabale job.

TheEliteOne brings up a good point. What if they take the Klipsch speakers in trade, pull the drivers, horns, x-overs, etc and then put them in the new cabinets?

I'll be interested in what finally happens on this since Trey has the lawyers involved.