Any word on that 'RF-7' killer speaker from the show?

kenratboy

A few months ago, Klipsch had some absolutly amazing 'RF-7 killer' on display at a trade show (CES?) - as it was publically displayed, it is not a secret. Has Klipsch said anything else about it? I know they are busy. The new Reference stuff came out, then the THX system, now they have some on-wall gear (for plasma's) and a really cool HTiB system, so I know a flagship is probably on the back burner.

deang,

that brings up a question i have been wondering about.

i know the reference line is great for ht (what i use it for) but how do you compare the heritage line w/ref?

i have never heard a heritage speaker but always imagined them to bring out the best in 2 channel music where as the ref line brings out the best in 5.1 and up ht.

am i anywhere on track here?

----------------

On 5/12/2004 9:59:17 AM tankhokie wrote:

deang,

that brings up a question i have been wondering about.

i know the reference line is great for ht (what i use it for) but how do you compare the heritage line w/ref?

i have never heard a heritage speaker but always imagined them to bring out the best in 2 channel music where as the ref line brings out the best in 5.1 and up ht.

am i anywhere on track here?

----------------

You're close. Heritage is also killer for HT. I would take an all-heritage HT over Reference every time. Maybe all-heresy vs all RF-7s would be a different story but either Cornwalls/Lascalas/Belles/Khorns even with heresy surrounds is pretty amazing.

----------------

On 5/12/2004 5:59:10 PM bdc wrote:

----------------

On 5/12/2004 12:15:45 AM bdc wrote:

I have RF-7 killers, they are called Fortes.
----------------

Keep dreaming bdc.

----------------

I don't need to dream 3.gif

----------------

i need to dream though.. of my future Chorus IIs

----------------

On 5/12/2004 10:21:24 AM garymd wrote:

either Cornwalls/Lascalas/Belles/Khorns even with heresy surrounds is pretty amazing.

----------------

Cornwalls? Perhaps, I hear they are great speakers.

Lascalas, no thanks 2.gif

Belles, no thainks 2.gif

KHorns? Again like the cornwalls, perhaps, I've never heard them.

The speaker in the picture is a prototype, and there is a good possibility that there will be changes made to it before it's release. At any rate -- the release for that one is about two years away, and I think it might also be close to the $4K price point.

Give me a soldering iron, two good corners, and a real amplifier -- and I can make the RF-7 hang with anything.

----------------

On 5/12/2004 10:21:24 AM garymd wrote:

either Cornwalls/Lascalas/Belles/Khorns even with heresy surrounds is pretty amazing.

----------------

Cornwalls? Perhaps, I hear they are great speakers.

Lascalas, no thanks

Belles, no thainks

KHorns? Again like the cornwalls, perhaps, I've never heard them.

Guess I'll be the dark side of the m00n (sorry just had to) on this one.

Cornwall's - yep

La Scala's - Absolutely!

Belle Klipsch's - No bout adoubt it!

Klipschorn's - Duh!

Heresy Surrounds - Yep

Just MHO 10.gif

----------------

On 5/13/2004 1:12:50 AM bdc wrote:

What's wrong with La Scalas and Belles!?!?

----------------

There is no *** end to these speakers. Sure the belle is smooth and creamy, but too layed back for me. I group the scala in this as well because I've heard many times that the belle and scala sound damn near identical... Very little difference. Just what I've heard.

Cornwalls/KHorns? I hear those DO have some ***. So sure I would definitly consider those.

I'm all about the Reference and Deans crossover upgrade made them that much bettah!10.gif

I have a feeling most of the people dismissing the RF-7 and screaming Heritage as loud as they can while holding their ears have never heard the RF-7s in their own home and have probably never given them a fair chance during a demo.

I don't dislike the Reference or its sound. It is a superbly crafted loudspeaker. That being said I have demo'ed the RF 7 side by side with my La Scala's and I prefer their (La Scala's) sound. In general I prefer the Heritage sound to the Reference its just my preference. Now with that being said there is absolutely no way anyone on either side of this fence is going to budge. This is the Klipsch version of the Hatfields and McCoy's. There seems to be, so much fervor and animosity generated by this topic its almost like the Klipsch fan/Bose fan dispute. The only caveat being that we are right on the latter. How many of these my speaker is great and yours sucks wars are going to be carried out here. Its interesting they start out with I like this post, shortly followed by another post of well I like that. For some inexplicable reason we get drawn into the great speaker debate. I certainly cant condemn anyone for it here I keep getting drawn in myself

"There is no *** end to these speakers. Sure the belle is smooth and creamy, but too layed back for me. I group the scala in this as well because I've heard many times that the belle and scala sound damn near identical... Very little difference. Just what I've heard."

If your Belles have no *** end, there are problems with the setup....any or all of these may apply:

1. Poor amplification for the speaker

2. Poor acoustic environment

3. Poor installation (mistake in install, etc.)

4. Poor source material

But it's interesting, because all four of the above apply to the RF-7's, too. There may be differing solutions to solve them between the two series, but the four issues do apply to both.

The fact is, they are just different animals, and the preferences will rule the day. In my book, I prefer the tuneful accuracy of the Belles in the bass(especially for 2 channel).

It is my opinion that many (but not necessarily m00n) confuse the accurate bass of the Belle with other, more bass-peaky speakers, then say the Belle has no bass. Don't ever buy Klipschorns if this applies to the reader of this post, because these are two very distinctly different issues. There is a distinct difference between wanting LOW HERTZ and wanting PUNCH. The Belle isn't known for punch - the Cornwall and RF-7 will bring that. The Klipschorns aren't peaky/punchy either - but they are very accurate - and low. For the above listed reasons, I wonder if some of our 2 channel Klipschorn owners wanting subwoofers are confusing these issues. Yes, the Belle drops off below 50 hz, and that is occasionally noticeable, but I don't find myself pining for the bit of missing low end, because what is there is executed very well. The 50 hz rolloff of the Belle/LaScala, as a complaint, is overrated by many IMO.....and quite frankly, it's not a real issue here (this coming from someone who knows bass slam and punch, in the form of six Cornwalls and four 15" JBL woofers).

"Cornwalls/KHorns? I hear those DO have some ***. So sure I would definitly consider those."

The Cornwalls definitely do, but it's not the same as FULLY HORN LOADED. That's the real deal, baybee, and things just aren't the same without it. I have both Belles and Cornwalls, and both have certain advantages, but if it's accuracy that's desired, I'll take the FHL every time.

Now in the theater, the Cornwall punch is very much at home, and works well for lots of music material too - they are quite flexible in placement (big plus). Just an excellent all around speaker. And for the price.....a steal. $800-1000 never bought so much speaker.

Now the Klipschorn....it's got ***, and it's a beauuuuuuuuty9.gif

"I'm all about the Reference and Deans crossover upgrade made them that much bettah!"

Well, I'm not necessarily all about the Reference, but I will vouch for the crossovers....this is a worthy upgrade for anyone who owns the RF-7. If you like the RF-7, you'll like 'em better with the upgrade.