Cleaning Brushes

garymd

What type of brushes do folks here use with their cleaning machines?

I've been using the nitty gritty black bristle brushes for a while now with my VPI 16.5. Tonight I tried the nitty gritty non-brisle brush for the first time (along with the bristle brush). It's a light blue soft velvety cloth style brush I bought a while back but never even opened. Needless to say it worked great. Anyone else use this brush?

I like the Disk Doctor brushes, which can be described as a fine black velvet like material. The 2nd best brush I like is the Red Lint brushes you can buy cheap. I cut off the handle, soak a bit to get out some of the Red dye, and away I clean. Makes a great brush.

I have not tried the Nitty Gritty brushes so I cannot compare. I have no reason to look further as I have found the recipe that works for me.

----------------

On 5/15/2004 9:58:25 PM Randy Taylor wrote:

I'am I missing something here, why is all this about cleaning brushes so funny to Dean, is it that he doesn't listen to LP's and is into CD's only and doesn't have to clean his CD's to play them ?
9.gif

----------------

You hit the nail on the head. That and he's jealous. 9.gif

Good topic. I was just thinking of using of something other than the vpi brush.

For some Its to much. A few grand on cd's and a few on lp's . I would like only one format. Don't get me wrong I love both but vinyl sucks up funds fast... once your hooked your hooked and that can be scary.

I just picked up some cd's (dicks picks) for the first time in must be over a year but spent three grand in the last year on MUST HAVE vinyl. It's a comitment some just are not willing to take.

To tell the truth I have both vinyl and Cd's and being 53 I listen to mostly to 60's and early 70's rock and a lot of that stuff you just can't find on cd and when you can some of it sounds so bad on cd you find you wasted your money on buying it. I found around here that cd's cost $15-$20 and that you can find remastered vinyl for not much more than that if any, and if you get a Steve Hoffman remastered LP you are in for a real treat. Also I found a couple of LP sellers on Ebay that grade very well that I watch and sometimes get 3 or 4 mint copies of LP's that I don't have for the price of one new CD at the store. You are right vinyl can be costly, but so can the other formats, and audio it self can be a high dollor hobby, if your not careful.1.gif

I used to use the DISCWASHER brush and fluid till I packed them away and now I couldn't find them again. I bought the DISC DOCTOR brushes and they are made from what looks to be the same material. I have used them dry with light pressure and an amazing amount of dirt came out of the groves! I then spray them with canned air and brush again. Nice and clean with no liquid mess.

For regular maintenance after a good VPI cleaning, I use a Hunt EDA Cleaning Brush. It has a velvet/plush pad in its center with longer bristle like brushes running along its front and back edges which really get into those deep grooves. A very good tool for regular dry cleaning and can be found for about $20.00.

Hunt%20Eda.jpg

I have a Watts Parastat that I use prior to each playing. It is decent but I have found that the Disc Washing System I bought has greatly improved the sound of my LPs. A record washing system and a brush is a good combo.

As far as the whole vinyl vs. CD argument I have to admit that LPs are a hassle as compared to CDs. I also don't buy the claim that LPs are always better sounding than CDs...A really good CD sounds much better than a mediocre LP.On the other hand a really well recorded LP in top condition is hard to beat.

----------------

On 5/17/2004 12:52:18 PM garymd wrote:

I agree Lynn. Good SACDs can leave an average LP in the dust. I've had the chance to a/b a few lps vs cds and the lp almost always wins. I do have a couple SACDs that beat the lps hands down.
----------------

It's gonna change for you soon.

----------------

On 5/17/2004 1:22:09 PM Guy Landau wrote:

----------------

On 5/17/2004 12:52:18 PM garymd wrote:

I agree Lynn. Good SACDs can leave an average LP in the dust. I've had the chance to a/b a few lps vs cds and the lp almost always wins. I do have a couple SACDs that beat the lps hands down.
----------------

It's gonna change for you soon.

----------------

9.gif9.gif9.gif