vintage amplifiers and preamps

I have been looking at all kinds and makes and models and styles of really great looking amplifiers and preamps -- all through the afternoon! Sometimes I think it would be really awesome to have an entirely vintage system. I'd love a Scott integrated, or especially a Marantz 8B or pair of McIntosh or Dynaco monoblocks to use with the Klipschorns. Yes I like my own amplifiers, but they are just so............I don't know...........NEW, I guess. Maybe I should sell them and buy some really neat, well-taken-care-of vintage equipment!

What thinks those of you who have done something similar!?

Erik,

I don't know, but it might well be that once you have moved on to vintage gear, you'll miss your own amps. It's like with most things (I guess)....variety seems to add to the enjoyment of life.

BTW: My mails to you keep coming back. Could there be something wrong with your server?

Wolfram

Eric,

Your idea speaks to the heart of what I am doing with my 2 channel rig.

McIntosh MX-110 tuner/preamp (1968), McIntosh MC-30 monoblocks (1950's - on the way), and the Belle Klipsch (1976). Of course I cheated (it's not vintage!) with the CD - the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 - but at least it's TUBES! I also plan to add a table to this in the future (Thorens??). It has been my ideal to assemble some of the best of the vintage era gear for this setup, as I feel it offers a wonderful contrast to the HT - which offers a very modern presentation. Now I can have my cake and eat it too!

It also has style, baby! I liken some of the old McIntosh gear (and others of the era) to classic Harleys - there's just something romantic about all that chrome9.gif

I am also a big fan of the overbuilt nature of the gear - it's hard to believe what this stuff can do at this age, especially with updating. Something I can have until I die.

And this stuff sounds wonderful - I feel that McIntosh, in particular, has quite a synergy with the Heritage Klipsch.

So yes, Eric, I'm all about vintage9.gif

I agree...I think it'd be nice to have a totally vintage audio system from H.H. Scott, EICO, Fisher, etc. But if I were you, I wouldn't get rid of your DRD either. You already have your Dynaco preamp, so that's a start in the right direction.

My brother Tom (who has the new Dared VP-16 6V6-based integrated and Klipsch KG 3.2s) has thought about vintage amps as well...he stumbled across this eBay auction last night, and this morning decided to go for it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5700199660&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Seems there are lots of classic early stereo consoles from the '50s and '60s that contain wonderful vacuum tube amplifiers buried inside their cabinets, and I know fini and others here have discovered this untapped resource of high-quality amps with original tubes and heavy-duty iron. Well, for just over $150 shipped, my bro's gonna have a vintage Magnavox class-A SET EL84 power amp with 5U4GB tube rectification. It's been restored by its seller and is in tip-top shape, ready to drive his Klipsch! Now he'll need a tube preamp to make it all complete...vintage, natch!

Erik,

IMO, Unlike many great vintage amps, most vintage preamps suck. I've owned some very sought after vintage preamps like Marantz 1's and 7, Scott 121's and Lafayette KT-600. With the exception of the Marantz 7, they do not sound as good as modern preamps that cost the same (some of them cost more than $3k).

Speaking of vintage...I currently drive my brand new RF35's with a Pioneer SA 6500 which I acquired as loan repayment back in the day. Was/Is this a worthy unit? It cuts out on one side occasionally but comes back if I toggle a switch or too. Although it hasn't done so lately. It's been on constantly since I picked up decent speakers.

----------------

On 5/16/2004 8:02:18 PM Guy Landau wrote:

Erik,

IMO, Unlike many great vintage amps, most vintage preamps suck. I've owned some very sought after vintage preamps like Marantz 1's and 7, Scott 121's and Lafayette KT-600. With the exception of the Marantz 7, they do not sound as good as modern preamps that cost the same (some of them cost more than $3k).

----------------

Sucks might be a little strong..but I have to agree. Vintage power amps and modern preamps are the wat to go IMO

Josh

erik, I used to have dynaco mk IV monoblocks hooked up to my k-horns via a marantz 7T preamp and the combo sounded great! as you can see I switched to a PP 2A3 amp and I am quite happy with the upgrade in sound, I have not changed the preamp because frankly I have not found a preamp that gives me the same quality of sound AND feaure set as the marantz. I think your current amps and cary preamp are a great match with the k-horns I do NOT think an 8B or dynaco would be a move up, IMHO. tony

I feel a mix/match of vintage and new is the way to go. I have vintage MC30's running through a MAC C22II to my '88 La Scala's, and a vintage Marantz 8b also running through the C22II to a pair of Tannoy 15" Monitor Golds. I'm happy with this set-up and can get a nice variety of sound depending on what I want to listen to: Rock, classic, acoustic... I can choose between vinyl or CD, SACD and also choose the amps and speakers I want to listen on. I have never been happier. Another advantage of vintage is that it holds/increases in value over time.

You all have given me lots to think about. I appreciate the opinions and suggestions, including Kevin's. Some quiet time in the mountains would be really great. Marie and I usually load the car up and head for camping and hiking in Colorado, but just have some other medical (vet!) related need for funds right now. Plus, the price of gas does not seem to be heading for much of a downslide....

Yah, the Moondogs are nice amps. They are maybe not quite as detailed or as fast on their feet as the new ones I built, which are not really my own design as much as they are my own combination of a couple of different circuits. They are really sort of riding on the shirt tails (if I can use that description!) of Jeff Lessard's Horus and Jack Eliano's DRD. I put those together, and was lucky to have arrived at a nice sounding amplifier.

Still, there are a few vintage pieces I want to have as part of a collection. Those include the Scott 299B, Marantz 8B, Grommes "Little Jewel," a quality PAS 3 (which I'm going to work on this summer -- I have one here that is going to receive some real TLC this summer, including $100 worth of brand new pre-stuffed boards and new tubes. I have found a few others in very pristine, factory built condition, but the one here now will make for a nice project. I've read so much about the Scott 299B, and it sounds like it has the kind of presence and sonic character I really like. I admit I also think they look cool!

Thanks again for all your thoughts on this -- a combo of vintage and contemporary does sound like a smart way to go!

edit: I should really take the AES (Cary)preamp out of my profile, since it's also out of my system. I thought I had cured some excessive noise problems it has, but obviously still need to work on that. In our second, downstairs system it worked fine with less efficient speakers, but with the K-horns its idiosyncracies are all too evident. It's very prone to microphonics, and just seem to have hyper senstive grid-related circuitry. I also did some changing around of power and stanby switching (now on the back panel, away from sensitive inputs, but Marie found them confusing....)

The recenlty built Grounded Grid sure was nice with my amplifiers.

Some of the bottom line, here, is that I can always make another pair of amps. From what I have seen, the really good vintage equipment just keeps getting more and more expensive.