Only been three days and HK 430 was killed..?

Justin,

I gave you fair warning about WHY having a beat-up cabineted, but fully functional pair of Heresys was the BETTER idea for college living...remember? Also, remember what I told you about Heresy cabinets AFTER you graduate? It still holds! As for the H/K 430, it is likely just the fuse (there was a REASON for using fast-blow fuses for replacement of the originals, ya know!)...but it COULD be worse than that. Replace the fuse and give it a try. Also check the fuses by the power supplies under the hood...one or both of them might be blown, too. Now is the time to make things FULLY UNDERSTOOD by roommates. NOBODY BUT YOU TOUCHES THE STEREO from now on! Plain and simple! Since they have already screwed up royally, NOW is the time while their screw-up is FRESH in their minds to RE-establish the rules of stereo equipment messing with! AGREED? If the H/K is history by any chance, there will always be a few on eBay showing up just about every week! So here is the CLANDESTINE plan: Get a good sniper bid in on one of those 430's on eBay, once you win it and have the total cost figured, then tell the gals that is how much it cost to fix the H/K...this way you have one for them to blow up and one to replace it! For what 430's tend to go for in good condition lately, it is cheaper to buy another one than to pay to fix the one you already have in most instances, unless it is just a fuse problem. Tell the gals they have to DRASTICALLY improve their electronic equipment "operator headspace" problem before you will consider letting them touch your electronic gear anymore! Know what I mean?

BTW...you can probably get a replacement 430 for about half of what you paid for the first one...don't go crazy in the bidding this time...OK? 2.gif

Hell, I know what it is: flatmates! I've got two of them!

Of course, my bedroom is far too small so when i moved in I had to put my system in our main room. Wich wasn't really a problem because, believe it or not, I'm always happy to share "my good sound" with other people.

The problem is: they really don't give a sh** about Hi-Fi. They're more than happy (well, the girl is) to have a very LOUD system so everytime we have a party my Scalas awake the whole neighbourhood; but tell them about SOUND? The sadest thing is that the guy is actually a musician! And most of the times he just listens to some low quality MP3 jazz tunes he picked up on the net, at a playback level a cheap kitchen radio would be happy to push out!15.gif

Only with movies on DVD do they show a little more enthousiasm.

But all that is OK. they're not forced to like good sound.

What is really scary is, indeed, the level of damage "not-into-hi-fi-people" are able to do to your system.

I stopped asking them to let the amp switched on, or in "standby". finding the remote is too hard for them. They prefer to switch it on and off and then on again by pressing the main button on the fascia.

I try not to ask them everyday to use the remote rather than the main knob to adjust the level when they're eating something greasy or sticky. I have to clean my new amp's fascia every week to remove sticky fingerprints.

I tried to explain them it's not a good idea to unplug a source when the system is ON.

I had to argue and argue to make them understand WHY i didn't want the Scalas to move BEHIND the sofa (that battle is won 2.gif )

I had to forget about the idea of using a Class A amp after my Musical Fidelity A100X almost burned (hopefully my new NAD sounds better!)

I have to be the "annoying guy" who screams on everyone trying to put his beer on the amp during a party.

I still find some CD covers lying on the amp's breathing grill when I come back from work.

everyone thinks I'm a maniac.

I lost my dad's 35 Y/old Sansui amp after they managed (how???) to destroy the volume control (blocked!!!

14.gif )

I had to repair my Nordost interconnect because the girl pulled on it.

I have bad dreams of me coming back home and seeing fire coming out of my tweeters...

maybe I'm crazy.

One day I'll be rich. One day I'll live alone with my system.11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif

----------------

On 5/17/2004 6:19:59 PM Shock-Late wrote:

Hell, I know what it is: flatmates! I've got two of them!

Of course, my bedroom is far too small so when i moved in I had to put my system in our main room. Wich wasn't really a problem because, believe it or not, I'm always happy to share "my good sound" with other people.

The problem is: they really don't give a sh** about Hi-Fi. They're more than happy (well, the girl is) to have a very LOUD system so everytime we have a party my Scalas awake the whole neighbourhood; but tell them about SOUND? The sadest thing is that the guy is actually a musician! And most of the times he just listens to some low quality MP3 jazz tunes he picked up on the net, at a playback level a cheap kitchen radio would be happy to push out!
15.gif

Only with movies on DVD do they show a little more enthousiasm.

But all that is OK. they're not forced to like good sound.

What is really scary is, indeed, the level of damage "not-into-hi-fi-people" are able to do to your system.

I stopped asking them to let the amp switched on, or in "standby". finding the remote is too hard for them. They prefer to switch it on and off and then on again by pressing the main button on the fascia.

I try not to ask them everyday to use the remote rather than the main knob to adjust the level when they're eating something greasy or sticky. I have to clean my new amp's fascia every week to remove sticky fingerprints.

I tried to explain them it's not a good idea to unplug a source when the system is ON.

I had to argue and argue to make them understand WHY i didn't want the Scalas to move BEHIND the sofa (that battle is won
2.gif
)

I had to forget about the idea of using a Class A amp after my Musical Fidelity A100X almost burned (hopefully my new NAD sounds better!)

I have to be the "annoying guy" who screams on everyone trying to put his beer on the amp during a party.

I still find some CD covers lying on the amp's breathing grill when I come back from work.

everyone thinks I'm a maniac.

I lost my dad's 35 Y/old Sansui amp after they managed (how???) to destroy the volume control (blocked!!!

14.gif
)

I had to repair my Nordost interconnect because the girl pulled on it.

I have bad dreams of me coming back home and seeing fire coming out of my tweeters...

maybe I'm crazy.

One day I'll be rich. One day I'll live alone with my system.

----------------

This is the reason I live alone!

Next year I will be moving back with my old roommate. He respects my stuff more than the girls do haha.

I went ahead and setup the Allied Knight Tube Amplifier from NOSValves. It is pumping away Christina Milian - Dip it Low as we have our first pool party of the summer. Quite a show, literally! We have our very own "i live in my apartment naked" guy. I feel like we have taken over for Friends. 1.gif

The Knight really sounds great. It has been playing for roughly two hours and has not skipped a beat and really just shows off song after song.

If it were me, I would tell all four of those broads to hit the road! It would be a cold day in **** before I would let them back in.

That's why I don't like that many people, or have that many friends. If it's not their stuff, they don't care what happens to it. To them, it's just stuff that can be replaced. 14.gif14.gif

so any particular speaker stand I should be looking out for? i just dont' want to spend $100 on a stand but don't want to get too cheap and cause a TOTAL loss of bass. But i do have a subwoofer so the bass loss won't be too bad. I might be getting a new sub, the 10 inch cube from earthquake i think... need something small.

I'll take the thin one with the long hair and low rise pants standing next to the guy in the one picture. I think she needs a spanking for being a "bad girl" she is certainly the cutest one of the bunch. She could play with my stereo knobs and buttons anytime. I might even let her rub the grills on my Khorns. Glad to see that you are in better spirits though Justin, despite the recent issues with your stereo.

----------------

On 5/19/2004 10:40:24 AM sheltie dave wrote:

Justin, if you want speaker stands for the Heresys, I have them in St. Louis for free. You can pick them up when you come in town for our get together.
1.gif

----------------

Hey Dave, I will be in St. Louis this Saturday to go to Houston and then again June 1 on my way back. Taking MOExpress though so I can't really stop by. I try to get to St. Louis once or twice a month though, I just love it over there. Beats KC that's for sure!

When is this "get together"?

HDBR, good thinking haha, I had forgotten about those! I will look into it. I have no tools or access to tools out here, that is the only problem. I guess I could go buy a saw and what not, my father would love nothing more, well almost nothing more, than to know that I was building something from scratch using power tools haha. 1.gif

----------------

On 5/17/2004 10:35:50 AM fini wrote:

I'd say a good spanking would be in order...

----------------

Naughty girls, very naughty!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! Too funny!

My gawd, Justin is living a real life 'Three's Company' or something. I don't remember college life being THAT much fun, dammit!

----------------

On 5/20/2004 10:38:08 PM Tom Mobley wrote:

Justin, can you post a link to the Klipsch papers on your site? I couldn't find them out there.

----------------

the papers are provided through email request only. email me :) justin(at)soundwise.org

i only ask for a small donation, if you can't, then dont' worry. goes to pay for the original creation of teh document and the cost of bandwidth etc.

i already have like $400 in my shopping cart and abother maybe $300 in my amazon.com wishlist... i just can't add anything more haha.

did inventory of the stuff in this apartment that is mine, totals over $35,000!!! That is just crazy. Oh well, insurance on it will only be able $300 a year with a $500 deductable, if all goes well with State Farm 1.gif