DeadHead Question???

Gilbert

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I was just wondering where all the horns were you were talking about"

Before Godeau died around terrapinor Mars Hotel, they ntoured with a three piece horn section and a black chick back up vocal ensamble. It sucked big time!!!

"I never noticed or read that Jerry tried to copy Pigpen's voice. Where'd you get that one?"

After Pigpen died Jerry was left to sing all of Pigpen's songs in Pigpens irreverent slightly off key style in which Hunter wrote them. Prior to that Jerry rarely sang except harmony. He did as many songs as Phil Lesh in a set. Before he became very ill Pigpen was a ball of energy on stage. He never stopped jumping from singing to percussion instrument to percussion instrument to harmonica like a whirlwind. When he died Jerry wawsn't sure that the group could go on he was that involved in "the sound".

----------------

On 5/25/2004 9:06:30 PM khorny wrote:

After Pigpen died Jerry was left to sing all of Pigpen's songs in Pigpens irreverent slightly off key style in which Hunter wrote them. Prior to that Jerry rarely sang except harmony. He did as many songs as Phil Lesh in a set. Before he became very ill Pigpen was a ball of energy on stage. He never stopped jumping from singing to percussion instrument to percussion instrument to harmonica like a whirlwind. When he died Jerry wawsn't sure that the group could go on he was that involved in "the sound".

----------------

You're talking '66 Dead. Once Anthem Of The Sun came out (67 or 68?), Jerry was singing more songs then anyone else in the group. I have about 10 or 15 shows from 66 where about 1/2 the songs were Pigpen's and the other 1/2 were Jerry and Phil and Bobby.

In my hand is a bootleg from a '68 show at the Matrix in San Fran. Typical 2nd set:

Dark Star (Jerry/Bobby/Phil)

The Other One (Jerry/Bobby)

Lovelight (Pigpen)

The Eleven (Jerry/Bobby)

Death Don't Have No Mercy (Jerry)

Winterland, 5/3/69:

He Was A Friend Of Mine (Jerry)

Cryptical Envelopment (Jerry)

The Other One (Bobby)

Cryptical Envelopment (Jerry)

Doin That Rag (Jerry)

Me & My Uncle (Bobby)

Good Lovin' (Pigpen)

Candyman (Jerry)

Deep Elem Blues (Jerry)

See the trend? I have dozens more if you'd like to see the set lists.

Where are you Mark?9.gif

BTW - Keith joined the group 2 years before Pigpen died. I have a tape from 9/29/71 and 9/30/71 with Keith practicing with the band. Pigpen died in '73 I think. They both toured Europe in '72 but Pigpen's participation was limited as he was becoming ill.

----------------

On 5/25/2004 12:28:35 PM Gilbert wrote:

I'm ashamed to mention this, but I have never owned a DeadHead album/cd, cassett, etc. etc.....But I have heard some of their music. (Sorry Gerry G., God rest his soul)

Anyway, my question is this, what is an absolute MUST HAVE deadhead CD?

----------------

Lotsa good suggestions here, but I would STRONGLY recommend the Dick's Picks series... look for the date 5/19/77.

discussing the best nights of the Grateful Dead is like talking about SET and PP amps around here... 9.gif

honestly, that recording, 5/19/77 has uncommonly good playing, coherent segues between songs, and is considered by many as the most sonically pristine recording (for the DEAD) of 1977.

forrest

Gotta agree with Gary on this one. Sorry other guy. Saw them for the first time in '72 and then about 10 times after that (last one about '86). I thought they got better with age. Maybe it was me. Europe '72 is my personal favorite album. But listening to recordings of the Dead is about 10% as much fun as being there imho. Lastly, as far as "chicks" are concerned, I always thought Maria Muldaur was/is a great singer. With or without the Dead.

Chris

Gary, still listening to the tape you sent me. Thanks, I owe you.

----------------

On 5/26/2004 12:03:32 AM ChrisK wrote:

Gotta agree with Gary on this one. Sorry other guy. Saw them for the first time in '72 and then about 10 times after that (last one about '86). I thought they got better with age. Maybe it was me. Europe '72 is my personal favorite album. But listening to recordings of the Dead is about 10% as much fun as being there imho. Lastly, as far as "chicks" are concerned, I always thought Maria Muldaur was/is a great singer. With or without the Dead.

Chris

Gary, still listening to the tape you sent me. Thanks, I owe you.

----------------

Chris,

I have a GREAT Garcia Band show with Maria Muldaur from '78 Warner Theater (I was there BTW). I'll burn you a copy if you like. My buddy was a DJ for WHFS at the time and they were sponsering the show. I have a copy of the soundboard tape he made in their studio after the show. The best "The Harder They Come" I've ever heard. He's got some great stories about interviews he did with Garcia and others in the band.

OR, you can download the show from gdlive.com.

Woodog, you hit the PP/SET analogy perfectly. For newer Deadheads, a show without Touch of Gray would be Blah. For early Deadheads, if the shows weren't free, they weren't real Dead shows. In college, I really liked American Beauty and Workingmen's Dead, so I DID NOT like the Dead in concert. You even got different Dead shows from night to night...some nights they had boundless energy, while other nights they seemed to be counting the till before they even started.

I like playing the Dead as I hit the lawn on my riding mower. Most all other music I play gets the cops called when I start pushing over fifty watts through the VOTTs.

"High on cocaine, driving that Craftsmen, Casey Jones you better cut your grass..."16.gif

khorn58

Do you or did you own the famed VW 23-window van, at least I think it was 23 windows. Anyway, I always thought they were so cool, and was curious to know what a quality restored one sells for.

See Ya!!

Live/Dead is a great intro to their live shows, especially from the earlier days. In the Dick's Picks series, probably my favorite is Volume 4. Don't remember which year it was from, but it was recorded at the Fillmore East and has some of their best live stuff I've heard. The entire Dick's Picks series is well worth a listen, though, and is really pretty reasonably priced when you consider the amount of music they all include.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of live Dead music. Some people aren't at all fans of the Dead, but will really get into the more accessible stuff like Workingman's Dead. You really just have to give it a chance, though.

I will have to say that their first few albums (Anthem of the Sun, Aoxomoxoa, for example) tend to not be quite as accessible as their later ones. At that time they were trying to emulate their live sound in the studio, and it just doesn't work quite as well. I really like their first few, but I can easily see how it wouldn't be the best intro into the Dead.

----------------

On 5/26/2004 5:35:13 PM gerbache wrote:

Live/Dead is a great intro to their live shows, especially from the earlier days. In the Dick's Picks series, probably my favorite is Volume 4. Don't remember which year it was from, but it was recorded at the Fillmore East and has some of their best live stuff I've heard. The entire Dick's Picks series is well worth a listen, though, and is really pretty reasonably priced when you consider the amount of music they all include.

That being said, I'm a huge fan of live Dead music. Some people aren't at all fans of the Dead, but will really get into the more accessible stuff like Workingman's Dead. You really just have to give it a chance, though.

I will have to say that their first few albums (Anthem of the Sun, Aoxomoxoa, for example) tend to not be quite as accessible as their later ones. At that time they were trying to emulate their live sound in the studio, and it just doesn't work quite as well. I really like their first few, but I can easily see how it wouldn't be the best intro into the Dead.

----------------

You should hear the original mixes of Anthem Of The Sun and Aoxomoxoa. Very different. More spacial if you will. They're hard to find since they were pulled from the shelves very early on but I have a DJ friend with both. Very cool stuff.

It's hard to just jump into the Dead's live stuff if you've never heard them. Once they hit space and drums, it's all over. Specific live selections are the best way I've found. Eyes Of The World from Englishtown, NJ, Sept 77 (now on Dick's Picks #15) is one that I've used to convert many friends. I was at the show (150,000 people at the racetrack with The Allman Bros. opening). GREAT show and excellent DPs to buy. Also DP # 18, '77 Iowa is another great one. Some DPs ARE much better than others, both recording-wise and musically.

Gilbert,

Yes my oldest ve bus is a famed 23 window sunroof. Infact it is one of the rarest of them all being a 52 ,as it is from the first 6 mounths of production.

It is also know as a barndoor model having the extra large rear engine lid (pre 55).

The early bus price's are going through the roof latly.

I have not seen a early bus like mine for sale in 5 years so I can't say what it is worth these days. The closest.

I think a early 23 window barndoor in real nice restored shape wopuld bring 30- 75 grand.

A all orig unrestored one in mint sahpe would bring big bucks as the bus collecters are starting to search for orig ones that havent been messed with.

I do Know of one 52 23 window that has only 18k on it and is trully mint. It must be worth a bit today.

I bought all my buses when they were cheap luckly.

nice thing about the old buses is the can move alot of vintage Klipsch at once. just wish they had the power of my (know becoming vintage) 900 turbo Saabs. But then were would be the fun in climbing a long hill with the dead cranking be.

Somethimes slow is good.

khorn58,

I used to have so much fun with those old Vans trying to back up. I'd get behind them and put a shoulder to them moving them forward as they tried to go backwards. Shift,shift, rev, rev, WTF!!!!!!!!!???????? Then I'd let go, step aside, and let them lurch backwards on the next attempt. I know "sick, sick,sick".14.gif

One night, the local constable opened the doors of my friend Jamie's Micro-van parked out behind the A&W with a bunch of us sitting in it. Officer:"What are you guys burning in here?" Me pointing to the blue flame in the middle of the floor "Sterno, Artie".12.gif "Well,OK." I never ate so much stuff before or since.6.gif

Rick

----------------

On 5/26/2004 6:32:08 PM garymd wrote:

You should hear the original mixes of Anthem Of The Sun and Aoxomoxoa. Very different. More spacial if you will. They're hard to find since they were pulled from the shelves very early on but I have a DJ friend with both. Very cool stuff.

Do you know anything about the white cover vinyl release of Anthem of the Sun? It's a different mix that really has a different sound from the widely released version. My dad has a copy of it, but I've only heard it once, so I don't really remember all that much about it. Think that might be the mix you're talking about? I need to borrow it from him and make a copy of it for both of us...

----------------

On 5/26/2004 9:19:09 PM gerbache wrote:

----------------

On 5/26/2004 6:32:08 PM garymd wrote:

Do you know anything about the white cover vinyl release of Anthem of the Sun? It's a different mix that really has a different sound from the widely released version. My dad has a copy of it, but I've only heard it once, so I don't really remember all that much about it. Think that might be the mix you're talking about? I need to borrow it from him and make a copy of it for both of us...

----------------

Could be! I don't know about the cover. I can find out though. I'd love a copy to compare with my friend's. His is kind of scratchy anyway. Thanks! (assuming you meant me and not your dad)6.gif

Gary:

Best Buy didn't have either of the 2 albums/CDs you recommended, they had a bunch of other albums, and I even considered the latest edition of their Greatest Hits, but I ended up passing on it. I'll go to Amazon.com shortly and order those CD's.

Khorn58....I read Autoweek religously, and every weekly issue has a special section that's about prices that older vehicles bring in at auctions. And they cover some major auction houses too. Anyway a few months ago there was an issue that had a 23-window VW van that auctioned of for 32grand and change. I remember the editor commented on the condition being just so so, and that the previous owner painted over halfass body repair work. I would imagine your would fetch top dollar. But if your like me, it'll never leave your pocession.

See ya guys!!

Grateful11,

Scarlet>Fire was the stuff that made one get in the car and drive a "thou" to see them.

I once met a touring couple who had seen over 50 shows - and never saw a Scarlet>Fire. I felt sorry for them. They should get a rebate or something2.gif

I'll also repeat one other theme: It's all about "Live". While there is a certain value to the studio stuff (especially American Beauty and Workingman's), I hold the opinion generally that "If it isn't LIVE, it isn't DEAD". In this house, it's all Dicks Picks, Vault releases, and other live recordings collected over the years.

There are some other choice studio offerings, but not GD per se. Try "Shady Grove" (Garcia/Grisman) and "The Pizza Tapes" (Garcia/Grisman/Rice). Some of the GD studio releases are almost laughable (some of the Arista stuff??). Holy Disco Dead2.gif

"In The Dark" does capture the late '80's live sound well, if one wants pristine studio quality. You don't get the extended jamming, but you get a fairly accurate representation of what the band sounded like live during that period. I find that the earlier releases don't sound like the band sounded on stage. In the early years, the majority of the studio releases had better art than performances.

But to completely capture the experience, be sure to cook up a grilled cheese and veggie burrito for your listening session. I never met a post-show grilled cheese I didn't like9.gif