Yet another SS "loon" becomes a TrUBEliever.....(MC-30's)

Colin is soooooooo right. So is most everyone else who tells us this.

HORNS LOVE TUBES.

After many miles, and two years of listening trips - and much consideration, I finally received the McIntosh 30's from the service rebuild to go along with the MX-110 and Belle Klipsch.

It's a sonic HOME RUN.

If these amps were baseballs, they would still be airborne. As in Bull Durham:

"Anything hit that far should have postage".

Yeah, I think I made the right choice.

And this next half-hour before work is gonna fly by........I just may be a few minutes late.

A more thorough review later......

9.gif

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with ya.

After six amps in less than two years (from Yamaha to Bryston) I think I finally settled on a tube amp too.

Hopefully this one will last me a year before needing something more detailed. By then Craig's or mdeneen's amps should be ready to roll.2.gif

For now, I can live with the tone finally being right, something I couldn't get SS to do.

Having never listened to my Heritage on anything but a SS amp, I wish I could listen to my music or (HTS) on 1 type, and then flip a switch and try it all over again with the other. A show down so to speak. I run 2 Krell amps for my HTS, the TAS and the KAV 3250. I simply can not compare my amps with anything I've ever owned, because my previous system was, well, quite crapy.

I keep telling myself and the wife that one day we'll get a killer music system for the master bedroom. Where my better half loves to listen to her music while doing her routine chores.

So I ask you guys this.....If such a thing exist, and without bias, what would you consider the BEST well rounded pound per pound Tube Amp for klipsch heritage (all)........WHY?......Surely there must be 1 brand or even better, 1 model of tube amp that just out sings all the rest (tube amps that is). One that just about any tube amp coinsurer would love to have.

FINALLY:

And this is probably a stupid or ignorant question.....Are tube amps just as good in home theater systems, or are they strictly limited to music only systems.

Gilbert, for a workhorse integrated that puts out a quality bang for the buck, I have been real happy with the Scott 299C. The 7591s are a good stereo output tube that provide well delineated voicing at low power, can give some grunt when pushed, have a well defined frequency response with most of the bass you hear from your Krells, and behave well with Klipsch horns of all makes. They aren't finicky, they have a high WAF, and they can play in the living room or rec room. One to avoid is the McIntosh MC230.

Gilbert,

Haven't heard Krell's, but they may well be of the quality SS that Heritage would like. I went to tubes because my ears were bleeding!

I think your question on bang for the buck tubes is interesting, but the answer would still depend on your budget.

For "entry level" tubes, a vintage integrated that somebody else has paid to have rebuilt is a great deal. One member of the forum just sold a Jolida integrated on Ebay for about $430, and this was a steal for an essentially new amplifier. Either of these options would work well in a first system in the living room, too.

Gilbert,

Since I own 250 watt per channel Hybrid Tube amps, 30 watt per channel Push Pull Super Amp, 200 watt per Channel SS Amp, many receivers from 30 watts to 70 watts per channel and a couple of SET amps (2A3 and 45 SET monoblocks)

I can tell you what sounds the best of these on my Klipsch Belles. The 1.8 Watt per Channel Welborne DRD45 SET Monoblocks.

Of course the folks that have never heard a SET amp will surely disagree, but who you gonna believe? The guy with the gear in house or the Wanna Bees9.gif

Gilbert,

No, there is no one single brand or model that is best, any more than there is a best car or a best TV. There are lots and lots of excellent amps to choose from.

To narrow it down, decide whether you want to have an integrated amp or separate preamp and power amps. And decide whether you want to own rebuilt vintage equipment or new.

As far as power, Klipsch recommends a *minimum* of 20 watts, and considers 50 watts fairly modest.

Yes, you can use tubes for home theater, but not very many people do. If you wanted to have 5 channels, or 7, or whatever, that is a lot of amps. Your sub, if you want one, would have its own, non-tube, amplification.

Cut throat, as the only one in this thread that has responded to Gilbert's question who you might perceive as not having SET amps...the Moondogs sound pretty darn good.

I wish you would tone your act down a little as well as others. I know what 2 or 3 watts can do - I'm listening to it. They do dam good for what they are designed to do, and not much more. My friend that brought them over biamps them with two SVSs, as he can't stand the lack of bass at his house. That is his preference.

Audible, those MC30s really sound sweet, don't they? I wonder how much cleaner they sound due to not having to share the power transformer like the MC240 does. Enjoy your weekend!

"So I ask you guys this.....If such a thing exist, and without bias, what would you consider the BEST well rounded pound per pound Tube Amp for klipsch heritage (all)........WHY?......Surely there must be 1 brand or even better, 1 model of tube amp that just out sings all the rest (tube amps that is). One that just about any tube amp coinsurer would love to have."

Do you have a favorite flavor of ice cream? Do you think it's everyone else's favorite flavor of ice cream too?

Before you do anything, or take any advice seriously, do a little research on your own. It also helps to consider things such as the sensitivity of the speaker you are going to use, room size, musical tastes, listening habits in as far as volume is concerned, and budget considerations. At any rate, the amp you decide on should be running well within its design and operating parameters at the loudest levels you might take it to.

Yeah, but your last hundred posts have said the exact same thing -- why don't you give US a break? What gets old is that you NEVER qualify the suggestion with any criteria -- ever.

"Hey! I need something for serious luggage. Right now I'm using a truck. Anything out there that might do the same, and give me some comfort too?"

"Sure! I own a Semi, three trucks, a sedan, and a go-cart. I just use the go-cart for everything, and it does luggage better than anything!!" 9.gif

As usual good advice was given. How loud and do you want it to play and integrated or separates. Answer those first and the rest is obvious. For the ease of thought,money and time I go with Sheltie Dave...It is very hard to beat my Scott299d withouy major dollars spent. It is pushing my KHorns right now and the sound is pure bliss.

DaddyDee; I wish like hell I'd a got off my a$$ an gone to the Ozark gathering at your place. Just a few hours drive for me. I was just a little too shy to attend. I'm a bit of an introvert too. But everytime I think about it, a great feeling of regret pass over me. I would of learned alot from you guys,...which is my main reason I'm on the Klipsch forum.

CutThroat, thanks for your opinion. I do respect and appreciate the input, and you answered my question honestly. But at my house, 1.8W won't cut the mustard. I listen to too great a variety of music for a 1.8W amp.

Sheltie, thanks for your opinion....I've read alot of good things on this forum about Scott tube amps. By the way, CutThroat is well within his right to speak his opinions. He didn't single out anyone and bash their equipment. But like I said, 1.8W won't cut it for me or my wife. God, I can't even imagine cranking it up with 1.8W.

Sorry Paulparrot and DeanG, BOTH OF YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINKS! Both your responses are COP OUT's. Anyone with even the most minute bit of common sense already understands that different people have different taste. Hell, my 3yr.old already understands that.

I'm suprised you guys forgot to consider whether my ceilings are vaulted or flat, and whether my wall and ceiling finishes are accustical freindly, or how far away I stand from my nearest speaker, not to mention how it's orientated. As for my research, I'm trying to do some of that right now. And I like Vanilla. It must be one of the BEST flavors, because it's one of the oldest flavors out there and it's still around.

No disrespect intended you two, but I wanted some opinions, not excuses why you wouldn't provide one. If you don't have a favorite tube amp, or memorable tube amp experience then there's nothing for you to comment on. Simple.

Don't consider my budget on an amp, I mentioned earlier that I shelled out some bucks on 2 krell amps.

I want to hear from confident people that aren't affraid to speak their opinions. Or who won't feel walked all over just because another member disagrees with their opinon.

Shoot fire, I said I have a Krell system......now I know there's people on this forum that are saying Dumb A$$ wasted his money on krell, when for 1/4 the price he could have had brand X. Does that bother me, shoot fire hell no.

Gilbert,

if I were starting this tube thing all over again, I'd choose a Transcendent Sound OTL power amp and the GG preamp. As 1.5 watts won't do (though you might indeed be surprised how loud and controlled such an amp can play with the right speaker and listening room), you should consider the T16 (15 watts - or double if bridged...can be done with the SE-OTL too!...LOL).

The sound you get in return is one of the most natural, unforced, transparent (yet never sterile/harsh!) available on the market....and at very attractive prices (IMO).

Obviously I love my other amps as well and don't find them lacking at all, but it might well have been that had I been directed towards Transcendent Sound products before, those other amps (and I'd find it very difficult/painful not to hvae them around) would have found different homes.

Wolfram

"Sorry Paulparrot and DeanG, BOTH OF YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINKS! Both your responses are COP OUT's. Anyone with even the most minute bit of common sense already understands that different people have different taste. Hell, my 3yr.old already understands that."

My response had more to do with giving you some guidelines in helping you to decide and determine the amp topology needed to properly meet the needs of your listening habits and environment -- not necessarily a specific sonic signature. Of course, you told us nothing about your listening environment, listening habits, or budget -- so don't blame us for the weak advice.

"I'm suprised you guys forgot to consider whether my ceilings are vaulted or flat...etc"

I did say "room size" didn't I?