Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

Hey all,

Just found these forums and am enjoying reading and seeing all of your setups!

Mine is a work in progress so far here is what I have going...

http://www.ftlosm.homestead.com/Home_Theater.html

Only real additions not mentioned on that website above

are comcasts newest PVR HDTV Box (Motorola 6208), a

great unit all in all, and being able to record HDTV is awesome

with it, but so far in my area they only have 5 HDTV channels,

hopefully more will come soon...

My next goal is to replace my two main fronts (currently 2 quintets) with two SF-2's

(read my post on the home theater forum about replacing fronts cuz I am looking for

input from folks who have upgraded from Quintets to floorstanding units like the SF-2's).

Anyways great forum great thread, hope to see and read more...

Bill Austin

East Lansing MI

StevePerryFan2001@yahoo.com

DSC00006-1.JPG

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Attached Photo 1 of 2: You are viewing the center and right side view of the front wall of our 20 wide x 14 deep living room. Equipment:

- Klipschorns left and right front

- Belle Klipsch center front

- Hitachi 42HDT55 42" plasma monitor

- McIntosh MX134 A/V Control Center

- McIntosh MC7205 amplifier (5 x 100W)

- McIntosh MVP851 DVD Audio/Video Player

- Niles IPC-12 power conditioner

- Yamaha CDC-705 CD changer

- Yamaha KX-R470 cassette tape deck

- JVC HR-S9911U VCR

- Monster THX Ultra interconnects and other Monster grade cabling

- Shelving system consists of custom solid oak shelving combined with Archetype hardware purchased directly from Salamander

post-2145-13819255491092_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 6/30/2004 10:37:35 AM endover wrote:

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me but......

From these pic's, it's pretty easy to spot who's married and who's not! Gone are my days of black leather sofa's and speaker wires hangin everywhere! Things have to match color, texture and genre! I have learned MUCH in my last 3 years of marriage! Ha!

----------------

My wife was a full participant in developing my listening room, I agreed to let the color scheme happen and she agreed to let me worry about the amounts and cost of equipment...it all worked out pretty well....we do learn the art of compromise.......

Guest Anonymous

Thanks all you nutz, this IS a great thread3.gif Just wish I had a digital to show you my stuff, nuthin special, 5 corns, b&k, svs b4-plus/crown k2, elite hd7302.gif no sides, no rear center, ran outta room, next house will be different, gotta love the klipsch,,,,!!!6.gif9.gif

WOW!!! Everyone has awesome systems here! It is great to have them all posted and they all provide great inspiration to keep improving my setup.

Hauck what is the brand and style of carpet in your room?? That looks like the type I want to get.

Laters,

Jeff

Yup some pretty nice setups...

----------------

On 6/30/2004 9:04:57 PM Hauck wrote:

Shelving system consists of custom solid oak shelving combined with Archetype hardware purchased directly from Salamander

----------------

The wood match between the khorns, belle and flexirack is impeccable. It just seems to go so well together.

----------------

On 6/30/2004 9:21:56 PM arthurs wrote:

I agreed to let the color scheme happen and she agreed to let me worry about the amounts and cost of equipment....we do learn the art of compromise.......

----------------

you made such a HUGE sacrifice... I feel for you... 4.gif9.gif

Rob

----------------

On 6/30/2004 10:12:16 PM eq_shadimar wrote:

WOW!!! Everyone has awesome systems here! It is great to have them all posted and they all provide great inspiration to keep improving my setup.

Hauck what is the brand and style of carpet in your room?? That looks like the type I want to get.

Laters,

Jeff
----------------

Jeff,

- Carpet: Purchased from Expo (Home Depot company) . . . Style is 'Accolade' #E4615 (12' wide) . . . Expo SKU #346-660 . . . unit price was $50.85 per yard plus Berber-style padding and installation.

In case you are interested (while I have the file open):

- The room took about a year and half to design, demolish, and rebuild . . . my wife, one of my sons, and I performed all work except carpet installation.

- Doors: The door shown in the 2nd photo is one of two sliding pocket doors . . . we knocked out two door openings and stick-built and installed sliding pocket frames using laminated glued and screwed 3/4" birch plywood . . . doors are 1-3/4" thick solid red oak by Harbor Bay . . . track hardware is by Lawrence (heavy duty grade) . . . bottom track in pocket is 1" x 1" x 1/8" aluminum angle fit into groove routed in bottom of doors . . . one doorway was a bearing wall, so we jacked up 2nd floor and installed a new glue-laminated beam.

- Electrical Power: 3 circuits . . . wall convenience outlets, lighting, and two floor outlets dedicated to home theater and computer.

- Control Cabling: Raceways to 2 locations containing Category 5E, RG6 cable and phone, and set up for addition of A/V cabling between home theater and computer.

- Walls: Behr brand, #3B42-1 'Softly Silvered' Satin, 3 coats applied with 1/2" nap roller over 1-coat primer.

- Lighting: (24) 3" Lithonia brand #3LR recessed lights (IC-rated) with Sylvania 35W PAR20 lamps (both very difficult to find) . . . set up in three zones and controlled by Lutron 'Spacer System' series.

- Leather furniture: Omnia brand, Salerno style, Leather Group 5 Water Danka, Color: Bog, down-lined seat cushions, four pieces consisting of: (1) LAF sofa with connecting RAF LVST, (1) Chair, and (1) Ottoman

- Coffee Table: Room & Board brand, Parsons 60" x 36". black welded steel . . . custom glass 1/2" thick clear and tempered

Hauck, I think you take the cake for cleanest looking setup in this entire forum. You inspire me to buy a digital camera and take a picture of my setup, which I think I will now do in the next day or two.

I have to totally agree. Hauck, you have one of the cleanest and most aesthetically pleasing rooms I've yet to see here. I didn't even notice the Belle the first couple of times I looked at it.... Any plans in the future of adding additional speakers for a 5.1 or even a 7.1 or 9.1 system? It would be a shame to let those extra McIntosh channels go unused. 2.gif

----------------

On 7/1/2004 1:12:11 PM arthurs wrote:

Hey Rob, how do you like that Cambridge CDP? Thinking about getting a dedicated one and have heard nice things about it.

----------------

I like it especially given it's price. I used to have a Yamaha "Natural Sound" series player... and my girlfriend was not convinced that there was a significant difference between the two so we did a series of single blind tests to compare them.

In a side-by-side comparison, the Cambridge sounded smoother and less edgy ... and the difference was distinct enough that I could pick it out 100% of the time. The only song I couldn't tell a difference was she threw a curve by actually having me compare it to itself. I had a hard time saying which was which since I found they sounded so similar on that test... 2.gif

I also compared it to a Dynaco tube CD player which I found to have a more pronounced lower midrange / upper bass range... but the Cambridge held it's own, esp given the price difference. It was more of personal taste at this point. Unfortunately this comparison was not done at my home... so I'm not sure how it would have compared on my heritage which is a little weaker in that range.

For regular CD playback I prefer the Cambridge and the Yamaha (which I since sold) over my DVD player. On the other hand, high resolution and multichannel DVDA disks sound better than CD.

I know, a little off topic... but... 4.gif

Rob

One of these days I'm going to practice loading a pic into the body of the post, but for now... Here's my listening room as it looked last night. It's actually only half of the room on the opposite side of the wall, the other half is my wood shop. Still no doors ustil I figure out the dimensions of each room, want the biggest listening room I can have and still have a decent sized shop.

post-13504-13819255493022_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 7/1/2004 10:12:10 AM Pako wrote:

Hauck, I think you take the cake for cleanest looking setup in this entire forum. You inspire me to buy a digital camera and take a picture of my setup, which I think I will now do in the next day or two.

I have to totally agree.
Hauck
, you have one of the cleanest and most aesthetically pleasing rooms I've yet to see here. I didn't even notice the Belle the first couple of times I looked at it.... Any plans in the future of adding additional speakers for a 5.1 or even a 7.1 or 9.1 system? It would be a shame to let those extra McIntosh channels go unused.
2.gif"

<?xml:namespace prefix = o />

----------------

DSC02047-1.JPG

Pako,

Thank you for your kind words.
To answer your question, no, we will not be adding surrounds in our present house.
The room size is only 20 wide (front wall with equipment) x 14 deep, and will not accommodate additional rear speakers or subwoofer with the timbre and efficiency required to match the front horns.

At the risk of sounding like I am rationalizing, I am really very satisfied at this point.
Being able to achieve an honest 35-40 Hz with the Klipschorns yields a quality level I believe to quite similar to that offered at the cinema.
There is really very little information in music or movies below 35 Hz, and very few have the room depth necessary to develop a 9.5 meter wavelength.
As far as the surrounds go, there is simply no room.
I recognize that a Heresy could do the job, but it is still a very large box.
The rear right and left corners of the room are 3 long and toed in at 45 degrees.
I have called these corners my poor mans rear speakers (see photo), as when all doors in the room are closed, there does seem to be a sort of surround effect.

The reality is that when you enter the world of fully horn loaded loudspeakers, you by necessity enter the world of big.
I have ideas for our next house, which will be centered around a much larger room.
My early thoughts have been to used commercial Jubilee bottoms with some sort of Altec / Emilar / JBL combination tops for the front left and right . . . I would leave the Belle as a center, and migrate the Klipschorns to the rear end.
All of these would be non-visible speakers.
If we are honest with ourselves and our significant others, we will agree that big is not really very fashionable (even with the quite handsome Belle), nor perhaps has it ever been.
My wife of 25 years has put up with all manner of large speakers in her life for over 29 years, and I think I owe her an invisible big sound at some point.

Hauck

post-2145-13819255494862_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 7/1/2004 10:12:10 AM Pako wrote:

I have to totally agree.
Hauck
, you have one of the cleanest and most aesthetically pleasing rooms I've yet to see here. I didn't even notice the Belle the first couple of times I looked at it.... Any plans in the future of adding additional speakers for a 5.1 or even a 7.1 or 9.1 system? It would be a shame to let those extra McIntosh channels go unused.
2.gif"

<?xml:namespace prefix = o />

----------------

DSC02053-1.JPG

Pako, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Regarding your comment on not noticing the Belle at first, I am quite pleased. The Belle has always been part of the master plan, and our design of the shelving used this as a starting point. We hoped to somewhat blend the Belle into the background.

If you are interested, we prepared AutoCad drawings of the general arrangement and a detail of each different shelf glue-up. We could not use the standard Salamander Archetype shelving system (http://www.buildsalamander.com/archetype/index.htm), as the McIntosh equipment is deeper than most other components. After a conversation with Sal (owner) of Salamander, he graciously assisted me with some key dimensions and worked up pricing for the nuts, rubber washers, decorative tops nuts, drawers, and spikes. We contracted with a cabinet shop in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Mundelein, IL for the glue-ups and cutting to size. We did the layout and drilling for post holes. We purchased the black oxide threaded rod from MSC Supply, and performed the final assembly, starting with the two towers and then connecting the towers with the top two shelves. At the subfloor level, we routed (8) 4 diameter, ¼ deep circles, into which we placed ¼ thick steel plates. This provided a firm base for the 8 floor spikes which do penetrate the carpet and padding.

Hauck

post-2145-13819255495602_thumb.jpg

• dtel pinned this topic