Lets see YOUR Home Theater:

Pako

Hello YOUTHMAN.... I checked out your theater photos and was wondering if you had made any changes to it since these photos? I believe the room would be rather live with the glossy wall paint. Are the electronics in behind the double white doors, OR behind the side curtain? Just wondering. Nice job!

Only suggestion I would have is to make the overhead ceiling vents disapear. I have one for the AC here, but its NOT in the cove rather, in the lower ceiling area, I just could not leave it white, and that also goes for the built in service lighting in the cove. The frames were white also, I made them match the deep colbalt blue color used in the cove ceiling.

Take care,

Gary

Sorry, I have NO Klipsch gear in my theater, but our music room is owned by a well preserved pair of 1968 K'Horns as seen in the avatar... Love them!! [;)]

• Moderators

Hi Gary, very little has changed since taking photos of the room. Just a few minor things.

I believe the room would be rather live with the glossy wall paint.

You are correct. There is a slap echo that I need to try and tame with acoustic panels but am waiting till the first of the year to begin that project. Definitely lots of flat hard surfaces in my room.

Are the electronics in behind the double white doors, OR behind the side curtain?

Good guess but the answer is neither. The double doors in the rear of the room are the entrance into the HT. The curtain actually has a double sliding glass door behind it. When we bought the house, the room was a "Media Room" on the floorplan. I thought about enclosing it with drywall but decided against it. That would be just another hard surface to deal with. The curtains probably do not absorb much sound but add a nice look to the room.

Only suggestion I would have is to make the overhead ceiling vents disapear.

I received the same suggestion from others and did paint the vents. I did not however paint the thin white trim around the can lights. Probably will not do that.

You don't have to have Klipsch to post photos here. :) I think we all would agree that we enjoy seeing other poeple's setup, regardless of the gear they have. I personally love seeing B&W setups. Incredible speakers both visually and audibly.

if one is finding curtains alone aren't working, you can treat behind them and even make it aesthetic to a window with layers. If you do need easy access to a window or door/sliding door behind curtains then it's probably not worth it.

I hope one day I can have a no-compromise listening room (and mobile one for that matter :) )...for now my family room is a multi-purpose room.

I have RS surrounds instead of hertiage that would match my quartets and academy better. I would love to move my quarts to the rear and pick up Chorus or Cornwalls for the front (along with two subs).

My wife hates impact sounds which my setup can deliver already in our 16x20' mostly open room. I have to admit that sometimes even I get uncomfortable esp late at night with the impact when she is not home. Other times I crank it and put on a great action movie or some music.

hey guys i had a question about some speakers that some guy on craigslist is trying to sell, he "costom built" them and he says that they will blow away a pair of rf-83's i just wanted for you guys to take a look and see what you think. the adress to get to it is http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/ele/1515327000.html or you can just go to the boston craigslist and type in pro loudspeakers, thanks

hey guys i had a question about some speakers that some guy on craigslist is trying to sell, he "costom built" them and he says that they will blow away a pair of rf-83's i just wanted for you guys to take a look and see what you think. the adress to get to it is http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/ele/1515327000.html or you can just go to the boston craigslist and type in pro loudspeakers, thanks

you can't be serious if you think these are going to be a good setup unless you can go listen to them. I never heard of this setup nor did google enlighten me.

• Moderators

Guy sounds like a used car sales man to me. If you have to put a 1/2 page ad to try and convince me that your speakers are good, they probably are not.

Let's have some fun with this shall we? His second sentence was enough for me to say no thanks.

I am a former Bose engineer and loudspeaker design engineer.

I'm not impressed.

I designed and built this system to utterly and completely outperform anything available in stores regardless of price.

That is a pretty arrogant statement.

this system has the musical accuracy of the best high end speaker systems.

What happened to being better than all the rest?

even though there are some who would tell you that new technology
allows small speakers to do what it used to take a big speaker to do,
that never has been true, is not true now, and never will be true
thanks to the laws of physics which never change!

Now that is an intelligent statement that I actually agree with.

No speaker system should need a subwoofer. If it does, that means the
speaker is inadequate in the low bass. Subwoofers are like using
Hamburger Helper to try to make a cheap cut of meat taste good. It
never will.

Ok, I'm sorry but this guy needs to go back to engineering school. Sounds like he is trying to boost his ego. What does Hamburger Helper have anything to do with audio?

In fact, almost all subwoofers are placed in the corner

Not at my house. And how can he state that as fact? Has he been in everyone's home to see where they choose to place their sub?

Most people are not audio engineers and so they do not know this, but
now you do, so act on it and buy for yourself the best speaker system
you will ever have the chance to own.

And you too can own your very own copy of "How to Be an Engineer in 12 days" for just 6 easy payments of $19.95! Call now...operators are standing by!

Come and hear a demo of my AI-18 system. I will also give you an
education in audio engineering while you are here using easy to
understand language so that never again will you be taken advantage of
when you buy audio equipment (and you have almost certainly been taken
advantage of many times and do not even know it).

Wow, you mean you are going to throw in an education FREE of charge if I purchase your speakers? What a deal!

Ok, so by now, you probably can guess what my thoughts are on this "deal". I personally would pass but that's me. Take it for what it's worth.

oh dont get me wrong guys, i was never even remotley intrested in these speakers, i just emailed him to see how much of a "scam" artist he was. and to see why he was talking all of this smack about how speakers "shouldnt need a sub" and if they do there "not good speakers", ect. He made a comment to me in the email that " the rf-83 cabinets are too small to produce good sound " hahaha thats funny i thought. he said he would do a side by side demo and in 20 seconds i would never want to listen to my 83's again. so i told him to bring down his speakers to the audio store i work at, he kinda changed the subject. anyways thank you all very much for your input and also for taking the time to check out this guys post. i appreciate it much and will have photos of my system up a little after x-mas , thanks again. p.s. youthman your a very funny dude, lol

• Moderators

the rf-83 cabinets are too small to produce good sound

Wow. I guess my ears are broken then.

i appreciate it much and will have photos of my system up a little after x-mas , thanks again. p.s. youthman your a very funny dude, lol

Sit back and enjoy your RF-83's. [:D]

i know this probably isnt the right forum to ask this question but there seems to be alot of educated ppl in here. so i was wondering what you guys thought about the newer Onkyo tx-nr x007 line? im kinda set on the 3007 or the 5007. its either that or the older integra DTR-9.9 wich i can get really cheap at work (about $540) as compared to the onkyo 5007 ($1400) . so let me know if you feel the price diffrence is worth it for the extra hdmi's, extra channels, newer, ect. thanks

• Moderators

There are plenty of folks here that are very knowledgeable and more than willing to offer suggestions and advice, but it would probably be best to start a new thread in the Home Theater section so that we can keep this thread reserved for pics of user's home theaters.

um....ok i guess ill just start a
brand new thread for a simple little question. and why did you quote me
for saying "the rf-83 cabinet is too small to produce good sound" ?? i
wasnt the one who said it but you make it seem that way

Youthman
is just trying to maintain this thread for what it is a showcase for
people to show and share their systems new questions should be created
in a new thread. Also I am sure it was not his intention to make it
look like you were the one making that statement but just the way the
"quote" works on the forum everything was erased but the sentence he
wanted to refer to and it just shows your name as being quoted by the
system since it came from your post. I know Youthman had only friendly intentions.

Thanks so much YOUTHMAN for writing back. I'll bet the painting of those vents made a nice difference [:)] Ok on the slider and entry doors explained...

Just a little comment on those 'home engineered' speakers.

Isn't it all about REDUCING the front baffle surface area ? Look now many speakers these days are actually turned NARROW side toward front! NHT and Definitve Technology with their Bi-Polar series! These designs use the LONG wall of the cabinet to hold the woofer, yet the front baffle is very narrow so it won't cloud up the image / soundstage.

I believe most would agree ?

Just my 2 cents...[;)]

.Gary

• Moderators

why did you quote me for saying "the rf-83 cabinet is too small to produce good sound" ?? i wasnt the one who said it but you make it seem that way

Sorry about that. I went back and removed your username from the quote so that it is just a standard quote. Like Rich_Guy mentioned, the forum does that automatically but I manually went back into my post to correct it. Did not mean to make it seem that you stated that since it is clear in your post above that it was the guy stating that, not you. [:D]

Another purpose of posting a new thread even if you have a simple question is that most of us have the forum settings to send us an email anytime someone posts a new thread and I bet you will find that when you post a new thread, lots of guys will offer their advice on your subject. Many times, one question can become 6 pages. It's just the nature of the forums.

If you spend some time in the forums, you will see that we aregenerally a nice group of guys that are more than willing to offer help and advice. Heck, we're even good at helping people spend their money on new gear. [;)]

• Moderators

I'll bet the painting of those vents made a nice difference

Yes it did. I didn't realize how much they "STOOD OUT" until I painted them. It wasn't really that bad because I have 10ft ceilings and since they
are up so high, unless you physically look up, you usually didn't
notice them. Guess I was hesitant for some reason but now that I did it, I'm very glad.

• dtel pinned this topic