two rsw15s and pb2+......

Sanman023

hello...i just got the pb2+ yesterday....after a 30 minute test with pearl harbor and u571...the results are not good....here are my settings...two ports blocked...ss filter 16hz...crossover at 40hz...phase at 0...the rsw15s are stacked and the pb2+ is right next to them...there are no openings in the room except for a door and a window with heavy thick drapes....the impact of the rsw15s at 25-30hz are so overwhelming that it drowned out the 20hz and below of the pb2+.....ill do some more tweaking tonight....maybe if the pb2+ cant play along with the rsw15s..it should joint them by setting all three to put out the same freq?...if thats the case..i shouldve gotten another rsw15...need some suggestions...thanks in advance...

Buddy your subs are not working as a team,its not possible to have a less than great result when using dual RSW15's and a PB2-Plus working as ONE.

First start with a CD or DVD with plenty of deep bass.Set your mains to LARGE.Play the material at a good volume and listen close.Now switch one RSW subs with PHASE set to 0.Then rotate phase to 180.Where do you get more bass 0 or 180.Select the phase setting where youget the most bass.

Now set your second stacked RSW to the same PHASE setting,gain level on the side adjusted around 12 Oclock on both.Now let the SVS kick in.Set the PHASE to 0 and then 180,where do you get much more bass? As one setting you get cancellation and the other BIG BIG bass.

Once your subs and mains set on large are all working with eachother,set back your mains to a cutoff best for them to releave them from deep bass duty.

Voila,and do not tell me it does not work or I am going to take your subs.2.gif

Yes please listen to Mr Ear. I have 3 SVS subs and one on them needs to be run out of phase from the others or the overall bass is LESS then just the 2 SVS's alone. However once properly out of phase the result is bone crushing wall shaking BASS.

Laters,

Jeff

thanks for the tips everyone....unfortunately i did not have any time with the ht last night because my fiance is sick...and rattling the walls wouldve been a good idea....with the adoption of a new sub...im tipping the waf scale a little too much already..

the pb2+ is about 6" apart from the rsw15s...and the port(s) firing at the wall....i will adjust the crossovers, phase, gain, etc...hopefully tonight...and i will report back as soon i get things right....over the weekend...i will do the spl meter and avia disc testing to really smooth things out....keep the suggestions coming...thanks..

Maybe the problem is the slam and power you have with your Klipsch sub and the lack there of in your SVS. I recently had the 20-39 PCi and it had absolutely no slam at all. I returned it and going for a Klipsch subwoofer.

Just one question. Why do you need 3 mammoth subs? Because you can? Seems like the 2 rsw15s would do the job more than adequately (or any one of the 3 really!). Maybe I'm just getting old but this seems like overkill for one system.

----------------

On 6/9/2004 9:53:30 PM JLL wrote:

Maybe the problem is the slam and power you have with your Klipsch sub and the lack there of in your SVS. I recently had the 20-39 PCi and it had absolutely no slam at all. I returned it and going for a Klipsch subwoofer.

----------------

Congratulations of your purchase of a Klipsch subwoofer. Based on your dissatisfaction with the 20-39PCi, what Klipsch sub have you opted for?

Have you actually heard a PB2+ or any of the subs from the PB2 line to provide some basis for your comment about the lack of "slam and power" capabilities of a PB2+?

Basing a comment on your experience with a 20-30PCi is like evaluating a RSW-15 based on one's experience with a RW-10.

Apples and oranges.

Properly set up, the PB2+ has plenty of "slam and power," even compared to a RSW-15.

Carl.

----------------

----------------

That slam you are talking about is a general propensity for playing 30-40+ Hz in an effort to compensate for lacking the ability to dig deeper and play smoother overall. This is great if you only listen to music, however if you plan on using it for HT then you will be lacking. The SVS's are specifically designed to play smoothly, evenly and accurately down to the lowest octaves (under 20 Hz). This may not be desirable for those looking for a boost at the upper frequencies. Myself...I'm a bottom feeder. Give me 16 Hz or give me death! 2.gif

Oh, and I'm not quite sure where you get your specs about lack of power between the 2. The PB2+ has dual 12" drivers, a 900W amp and a larger enclosure compared to the RSW-15 which has one driver, a 650W amp and a smaller enclosure.

For CAS and CJ well boys I had a 20-39 and recently shipped it back like 2 days ago. Today I bought a brand new Klipsch RW-12 and I already love it. For music it is better to me than the SVS, it sounds cleaner, quicker, tighter more live and just as smooth. Also dont forget this is its first night. I watched a few DVD scenes same ones I watched with the SVS with real low volume didint want to anger my mom in the next room so cant comment yet but it sounded damn good and tight at low volume, subtle bass notes sounded really good and more apparent than the SVS. Once I play my DVD's at normal volume I will reply again and let you know how low and loud it goes compared to the SVS. Like I said I love it and it is here to stay. My original intent was to try it out and if the RW-12 didint phase me compared to the SVS I was gonna return it and purchase the SVS PB1-ISD, but I like the quality in bass better with the Klipsch so I am keeping it. To answer your question though no I have not heard a PB2+ nor would I think I would like it. The sonic quality of the bass will probably be exactly the same as the 20-39 PCi but will go louder and maybe a little deeper. I do not need this extra loud bass. I was looking more for the quality of the bass and I found it.

Joe

----------------

----------------

Perceived "slam" and power have much to do with room size, setup and program material. I have a PB2+ (set at 16hz one port blocked) in a 7000 cu ft listening room. During the main battle scenes in Master and Commander the cannon shots almost make you want to leave the room or seek some serious ear protection!!! 6.gif

Jerry Rappaport

----------------

On 6/11/2004 1:15:21 AM JLL wrote:

To answer your question though no I have not heard a PB2+ nor would I think I would like it. The sonic quality of the bass will probably be exactly the same as the 20-39 PCi but will go louder and maybe a little deeper. I do not need this extra loud bass. I was looking more for the quality of the bass and I found it.

Joe

----------------

Your post here shows a bit of need for education about about the SVS lineup. The PCi line and the ISD box subwoofers from SVS use their entry level driver called the ISD (stands for "improved standard driver") while the PB2+ and other Plus subs from SVS use the db12 driver which is heads and sholders above the ISD in terms of clean output prowess and overall sonic quality. IMHO, while any of the ISD "trim level" of SVS subs sounds good, the drivers in the Plus "trim level" are so much better that they justify the cost difference alone. I truely believe it is patently unfair to judge an ISD trim level SVS sub against an RSW level Klipsch for sonic quality. A better comparo would be the KSW series of Klipsch against the ISD SVS subs.

Jerry Rappaport

done...i finally got 30 mins with the ht last night and fixed the phase problem....wow...more bass then i could imagine....thank you fellas...i will do the avia testing this weekend...

garymd...i dont know why...i guess my car stereo roots are carrying over to my home theater...maybe its just a phase im going through...

----------------

On 6/11/2004 7:09:18 AM JewishAMerPrince wrote:

I truely believe it is patently unfair to judge an ISD trim level SVS sub against an RSW level Klipsch for sonic quality. A better comparo would be the KSW series of Klipsch against the ISD SVS subs.

Jerry Rappaport

----------------

he said an RW12, NOT an RSW12

2.gif

Yes I indeed did say an RW-12 not an RSW-12. I am sure the plus subwoofers by SVS are much better than the originals but I am sure the sonic quality is still going to be the same. Maybe an analogy would be why most of us here like our Klipsch speakers the best due to their sonic qualities. This is what I am talking about in regard to the Klipsch bass sound vs. the SVS sound.

Joe