The Indy Jazz kitchen Jazz Poet Lady thread

Ok, for real, what was that all about? The waitstaff, the backup band, no one could keep a straight face when I asked what the deal was. Damn her for being so clever in disabling the Kazoo's. I'm not usually one to "judge" art but this was so over the top and she was so full of herself I feel justified in speaking out.

I think we were all in agreement, if she just sang or perhaps going out on a limb here...excused herself for the evening... And let the band play we would have LOVED it!!

The BAND was awesome... best tune of the night were the first two without her..LOL..

To add insult to ingury, I bought a CD thinking ok, it will be her singing some classic tunes maybe.. NOPE the EXACT "poetry" about Jazz/.// I didn't know wheather to laugh or cry.....LOL.

Even worse than her astute observations about the Hue of Jazz, was her scat. I mean, come on, this is a 100% caucasian woman old enough to be my grandmother and dressed like a librarian singing "Scoo-whap-adoo"

It was enough to make me want to start drinking again.

We thought the same thing, so we asked one of the waiters if she was the owner. Apparently, she is a regular customer and not an owner. This was her first time performing there and she called this her "CD-Debut" party? Like I mentioned in the other thread, I was first confused, then I thought it was funny, and finally annoyed. I also feel that we would have all hung around a lot longer if Roger were singing.

--------------------------------------

On 6/14/2004 9:58:49 AM damonrpayne wrote:

Even worse than her astute observations about the Hue of Jazz, was her scat. I mean, come on, this is a 100% caucasian woman old enough to be my grandmother and dressed like a librarian singing "Scoo-whap-adoo"

It was enough to make me want to start drinking again.

--------------------------------------

Are you sure that she wasn't actually Mrs. Miller* reincarnate??9.gif (my age is showing, again.)

* http://www.mrsmillersworld.com/

----------------

On 6/14/2004 10:05:31 AM jeffgeorge wrote:

Are we sure that she is not the owner of the Jazz Kitchen? I can't think of any other reason why they would actually pay her any money to read "poetry" on stage. LOL!
14.gif
----------------

Annoying for lack of a better word.

The really bad part, besides her performance, was that she ran everyone off so they did not get to enjoy the Jeff Hamilton Trio. Griffinator and I retreated back to the bar, where the bar tender had already turned off the sound, to wait out the onslaught. The wait was worth it. They were excellent! (They even had a CD worth paying for!) We were probably hunkered down in the back when the rest of you went to Rogers place. Sorry I missed that part but really enjoyed the great jazz, sans vocals.

Griff was guessing that this was all a vanity act and she paid the house and band to put up with her. (She forgot to pay off the audience!) I couldnt come up with any better way to explain what we witnessed.

If jazz is blue, then what color are the Blues?

I hate to disparage artists; being a sales engineer and only having the guts to sing "Wild Thing" by the Trogs with the aid of Karaoke; I try to respect everyone expressing their art form.

It was very a unnatural performance to be in the audience for.

We were just the wrong crowd for this lady.

Better suited for an art gallery opening in a liberal college town.

I have sat through countless poetry slams and free form jazz open mic nights, where I learned the true meaning of "cacophany," and the gaping chasm between her rambles and the competency of the first band was...boggling. I was praying that Liam would go into his lip sputtering horse neigh routine in the middle of one of her spiels, but then someone would have thrown him on stage, to everyone's relief.

It was a great weekend, made even better by the stupendous cluelessness of Poetry Lady's act!9.gif

I agree completely with the last two posts. I would not even try to palm myself off as a poetry critic but this was over the top. It was so sophomoric as to be laughable and I noticed I was not the only one laughing. (Of course, my opinion of the poetry is worth exactly what you are paying for it.)

I also concur that it was the wrong venue. I think it is safe to say that when most people go to a Jazz club they expect to hear Jazz. The first thing everyone in the room noticed was that we could not hear the music because of her poetry, good bad or indifferent.

I wonder what the band members were thinking? It must have been humiliating to see the audience walking out in droves before their eyes, knowing that they could have been performing a show that we would have enjoyed.

Boomac and I spoke at length with the drummer and the owner after that horrendous display only to discover she truely was just a good customer for whom they were doing a favor. I do wish we had gone back after spending time at Roger's place but glad we did finally make it over. Took a wrong turn on the way back but finally made it to the hotel only to find no speakers and Craig's gear pumping watts into empty wires.14.gif

----------------

On 6/14/2004 9:46:59 AM damonrpayne wrote:

Ok, for real, what was that all about?

----------------

Exactly!

I can agree with Audio Flynn in not liking to disparage artists and thier art form. In this case, I have a hard time to even accept that as "art"! I've never seen anybody that could ruin perfectly good Jazz as that lady had done! That was just plain horrible! Unfortunatly, I was one of the first ones to split to take up UA on thier free movie, simply because I could not stand to hear another word out that stupid fat *****'s mouth! As a result, I missed a great trio that was coming on afterwards. I also missed going over to Roger's place, since I really wanted to see (and hear) his setups. Had I known what was coming on, I would've returned to the club after the movie was over.

As somebody mentioned, yes, it was an unfortunatly chain of events to cause many of us to miss a great show later that evening. 14.gif

I also want to add:

If there was one redeeming value to that whole thing, it is this. As was mentioned, it seems that lady was a regular customer to the Jazz Kitchen. Thus it can be inferred that she is very much a fan of the genre and obviously enjoys seeing the performances there at that club. It seemed that she just wanted to do that as a tribute to Jazz and all the musicians that performs it, past and present. I do have to commend her efforts if that was the case. Unfortunatly, the idea may have sounded good on paper, but the execution was not much to be desired. As a result, we ended up with that comedy act that ended up driving pretty much the entire place out as well as being an insult to both poetry and jazz. I'd be willing to bet even the staff would've left if they could. It was a shame.

----------------

On 6/14/2004 11:33:47 PM Seadog wrote:

For the benefit of those who were not at the Jazz Club (and to bring back horrible memories to those who were there) the "Jazz Lady" is the one seated to the right of the sax player.----------------

OMG....Did you have to do that? I am going to have nightmares now! 2.gif