very high drool factor

hwatkins

A bit hard to say - all components are either repairable or can be found, so it usually comes down to the quality of the cabinet. They will generally be at 15 - 30% more than a Khorn of similar condition.

It is safe to say that it could go as high as $3.000 and then some. These are classic looking. I believe they paid Mr. Klipsch a royalty for every one they built.

DAMN!!!! those look sweet. Ah but Im broke15.gif too bad, its only an hours drive from me!

Since one of the members here were kind enough to pickup and hold some speakers for me I would be willing to pick them up and hold them for anyone on this board that wins them, until you can arrange pickup. I dont' blame the guy for not wanting to ship those monsters. I've got just the spot to store them in. 9.gif

John

----------------

On 6/30/2004 8:56:43 AM mdeneen wrote:

...they are about the most butt-ugly things I've seen in some time.

----------------

Great choice of terms, Mark. Especially in light of the photo Jim posted in the "Most obscene use of Khorns" thread! Butt-ugly versus butt-beautiful...

2.gif

I seem to remember a pair of those in near mint shape going for somewhere around $7,000 (may have been more) on eBay a couple of years ago. I may have my taste up my wazoo, but I think they look kinda cool. Supposedly they use some Klipsch patents.

Chris

Pat1a.jpg

4-way. Lower bass is an 18 in a folded corner-horn, design licensed from Klipsch. Upper bass-lower mids is a pair of compression divers and a re-entrant horn. Horn upper mids and tweet. See the vertical T-350s peeking through in Dale's photo? Good speaker. Hi-fi Lit has info. So does Kerry's website.

Later Pats used the 30W woofer and a 12" cone upper bass-lower mids.

I think they look cool.

Nice cabinet work. I have seen far uglier for the time period these are from. I was thinking laundry hamper or pie safe, but they really do look nice.

Mark,

Have you ever seen any of the tube project boards from diytube.com?

They have an Eico clone and a dynaco ST35 clone. Pretty neat and a cheap way to build your own.

Marvel

Here is the DIY ST-35 EL-84 amp that I built. Total cost with the Dynaco STA-35 donor amp (for the trannys), the 1/8" brass sheet (including enough for two more amps) and other parts was around $400. The sound is amazingly better than the original STA-35 in all departments. It is the best sounding EL-84 amp I have had in my system.

ST35.jpg

Shannon's Eiclone Eico 87 based amp is designed around new Hammond trannies.

Rick

post-12829-13819256285044_thumb.jpg

I think they're beautiful in their own way, but then I live in a 1950's style art-deco home!

Kind of like having a pipe organ in your home. If it's to scale who cares how dern big they are!

Bet those 18" low ends kick! Shouldn't the tweeter be arranged horizontally, or is it similar dispersion in both directions?

Boy, those are monsters!

If I remember correctly, the Patrician is essentially a scaled up Klipschorn bass bin (to the low 30's vs. the 40 Hz used in the Klipschorn) that loads the (18") driver from the front. Some versions had wooden cabinet doors that were opened for access to the front, and did not sport a grill cloth cover like the pictures here. They tended to look more like furniture than a speaker, as was the style of the 50's...

DM2.gif