What Are You Listening To Right this Second

thebes

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now, I was hoping to be hearing the beautiful sounds of the Rappahannock River flowing over the rocks. Instead, the cops came down and told us we are not supposed to be camping down there. I told them that I heard that we were allow to camp there. In the end, I figured it was not worth it to argue with the cops so we agreed to pack up our crap and head back out of there. So here I sit in front of the computer with nothing on right now. It was a beautiful night here and would've been an awesome night of camping. I guess I'll have to find another place to camp. Oh well.

Seeing how it's 2 AM here, at this moment I'm quietly listening to the 10th movement (Air) of Handel's Water Music, performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Yehudi Menuhin conducting (1986 Musical Heritage Society: MHS 11199T).

hey Z,

tell me more about this NFL 'sounds' series. What is it and how to get???

Hope Amy U is checking this thread out. Wonder what SHE'S listening to right now? How 'bout it Amy, care to fess up??

This thread proves the existence of a very cerebral and diverse group on this Forum. I'm pleasantly surprised at how many of us are just listening to the sounds of LIFE as we type (cats, kids, babbling brook, etc.) It's kind of nice celebrating the sounds of silence as well as our beloved music. Very civilized bunch we have here. Proud to be part of it.

BTW, right now, after photographing a wedding with the band 'Tastes like Chicken' in which our Groom sat in on his Gibson ES335 (BB King model I believe) and played startling renditions of Joe Cocker 'Unchain my Heart', some Allman Bros, and Clapton numbers. My head is buzzing, so I've got some Eno ambient CD's on right now.

Cheers everyone!

Well, since you said No Cheating...

As I type am listening to The Bee Gees Shadow Dancing.15.gif

At work today doing some stuff to my car, work 30 minutes, check the board for 10, work 30 minutes. They have a 70's show on the radio from noon to 3 on Sundays, get to hear a lot of good stuff from my formative years, but also have to weed through some questionable stuff. Have now moved onto O What A Lonely Boy by Andrew Gold. Guessing that was 78? Just after I got my drivers liscense. Discovering the funner aspects of girls. Stealing beers from the neighbors fridge in his garage at night. Thinking you were rich cause you took home $100 a week from a part time job. Ahhhh, to be young, dumb and full of fun once again, instead of working 60 hours a week and a million dollars in debt. Wouldn't trade it in a second though. 1.gif

----------------

On 7/11/2004 1:21:26 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

hey Z,

tell me more about this NFL 'sounds' series. What is it and how to get???

Hey-

Well, there was a pretty limited series of five LP's released in the 70's of this orchestral and marching band-type of music which provided the soundtrack to NFL Films' highlights shows like Game of The Week and This Week in the NFL. I bought one as a kid at a department store back in 1973 and then another about a year later. I have picked up two others since at a thrift store and a yard sale. Some of it is really good and will definately take you back (if you were a fan and remember those shows from back then). About five years ago, there was a CD release of some of this music which, while very limited in scope, did feature a lot of the voice-over narration by the original announcer of those highlight shows: John Facenda.This is good stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000DGUH/104-5236128-3843112?v=glance

But if you wanted the complete collection of the music itself, you had to rely on the older vinyl copies.

Until now! .. Apparently, the company in the link below has just released all 5 volumes on new vinyl in a box-set

http://valley-entertainment.com/Artists/NFL_Films_Music/

CD versions to follow in September.

Worth checking out at any rate.