FOOD FIGHT! What's Your Favorite Summer Side Dish

thebes

Speakers are on the lawn, something's burning on the grill, but what else do you use to fill up your plate with? Sure, corn, garden fresh tomatoes, but how about that special potato salad, greens, whatever.

What's that speical summer side dish which really means summer to you.

I'll start the ball rolling with one of the wierder things you ever heard of:

Salt Potatoes

That's right Salt Potatoes. You take four pounds of new potatoes (you know, the small ones with the thin skins), boil water and add, and I'm not making this up: one whole pound of salt. Cook until done, drain, rinse and top with melted butter.

As far as I know only people from the Syracuse, New York area do this and I'm telling you, do it once and you'll never have a summer cookout without them.

So my mouths drooling and I have to feed the angry beast I call my belly.

Help me out.

----------------

On 7/18/2004 8:54:17 PM Rdmarsiii wrote:

Corn? Yuck! I fixed sausage on the grill, butter beans and some of that Zatarans red beans and rice stuff.

----------------

You wouldn't say yuck if you tasted MD Eastern shore's silver queen corn. It's to die for.3.gif

----------------

On 7/18/2004 9:43:11 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 7/18/2004 8:54:17 PM Rdmarsiii wrote:

Corn? Yuck! I fixed sausage on the grill, butter beans and some of that Zatarans red beans and rice stuff.

----------------

You wouldn't say yuck if you tasted MD Eastern shore's silver queen corn. It's to die for.
3.gif

----------------

Is it? Are you goin to be in the Dallas/Fort Worth anytime soon? Or I'll be in Ohio in the first week of August, see where Im goin with this? 2.gif3.gif

----------------

On 7/18/2004 10:09:13 PM Jay481985 wrote:

how about some good old ribs marinated and smoked to perfection?

----------------

You know, I have a story about one time when I was in Ohio. At the time, I didnt know northerners did things different from us southerners. Well, one night, I was told we were having ribs. That night, we went grill shopping, to which I thought thats how they were going to be cooked. We came home, and to my surprise, dinner was ready. She (Kara, Ohio's Miss America back sometime in the 90's, so Alex is a very lucky man!) had dinner on the table, and all our plates fixed! But... She baked the ribs. Living in Texas, we (or at least my family) dont usually bake meat. Ribs is something that has to be cooked on the grill. So, theres my story. I hope I didnt leave anything out. Oh yeah, Alex has a pair of '79 Heresys.

Hard to beat cold beer, but how about a greek dish - Burn't butter Spaghetti. Make the spaghetti noddles as you normally would. In a cast iron frying pan, melt - then burn the crap out of - butter. I mean burn it - you'll get black gritty stuff in it. Poor over the spaghetti, mix with Parmesan cheese and you're set. Perfect match with lamb, but I'll take it with a nice ribeye anytime 16.gif

Oh yeah - if you try this, open the windows and be prepared for the fire alarms to go off!

HOBO Potatoes!!!!!

Diced up baking potatoe, lots of butter and then anything else you want to put on them.

I like bell pepper, onion, garlic and cheese with Lowrey's seasoned salt. Wrap everything up in foil and put them on the grill.

hmm, I think I need to get the steaks soaking.

In a frying pan, brown one pound of plain Jimmy Dean sausage (you can try other brands/type if you wish) just as you would hamburger meat for tacos and drain.

In a glass baking pan, combine the cooked sausage with two cans of your favorite baked beans.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Top with Durkees onions and bake another 10-15 minutes.

YUMMY!!!

Tom

Cooking tip: If you poke holes in the beans before cooking it will let the gas out and you won't have to worry about "trouser coughs" later on. 11.gif