Why do some amps go up for sale frequently

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, Craig. Wasn't refering to you, just a general statement. Remember the little anecdote about how many failures Edison had on the way to a successful light bulb?

(I am not comparing you to Edison, either, BTW.2.gif )

Well, I just tubed rolled my Jolida JD202B. At first I was happy.1.gif

Now I'm not.8.gif

I should have saved my money and waited until I upgraded. Tube rolling in this case wasn't worth it without other amp upgrades which would have cost too much.

Now that I'm going to upgrade to the Jolida JD302B fitted with either the Electro Harmonix EL34EH or maybe the 6CA7EH tubes - my money would have been better spent.

That's why my budget Jolida is going on the used market.

Another 7 pages of posturing on amp topologies - we needed that!!

Now lets step back a moment:

There are 3 basic elements that will determine our ultimate sound:

1. System.

2. Source.

3. Room.

For arguments sake (a popular choice around here) assume each is equally important.

So a system should contribute about 1/3rd of the overall quality of sound.

Of that 1/3rd about half is the speakers. That leaves 1/6th of the overall quality to be divided into source, amp, pre-amp, cables, interconnects...

How important, ultimately - can the amp really be?

Add into the above the theory of relativity - everything is relative to the observer - in a phrase. What is loud for me is quiet for someone else and vice versa for another person.

I am reminded of the first time I went to try out the Tsakiridis amps. I took my speakers with me - we connected them up in his rather small test room and hit play on the CD player. The bass boomed uncontrolably -

"Christ" said Odyseus - "how big are the woofers on those speakers?"

"12 inches"

"No wonder!!"

Thing is - these were Heresies - aint many people out there that would say Heresy speakers are over-bassed now, are there, but in that room - and in comparison to Odyseus' standard speakers at the time (the baby Maggies) you would think a couple of subs had been thrown into the mix.

Of course you almost never see Tsakiridis amps up for sale on Audigon - so they must be absolutely brilliant!!!

----------------

On 7/27/2004 5:03:03 AM maxg wrote:

How important, ultimately - can the amp really be?

----------------

It can be extremely important, in a bad way, if the amp is low powered. Then, if you try to listen at a decent volume, not extremely loud by any means, just decent, you'll be into compression and clipping.

Well, I just tubed rolled my Jolida JD202B. At first I was happy.

Now I'm not.

I should have saved my money and waited until I upgraded. Tube rolling in this case wasn't worth it without other amp upgrades which would have cost too much.

Now that I'm going to upgrade to the Jolida JD302B fitted with either the Electro Harmonix EL34EH or maybe the 6CA7EH tubes - my money would have been better spent.

That's why my budget Jolida is going on the used market.

EDWINR,

Thanks for the honest assessment of your experience with Jolida!

I chose the vintage route and have ben very happy with the sound. It could have had risky faults also.

I needed to buy a new power transformer after just a year due to previous customer abuse (bad bias and maybe caps). VIntage can require perodic replacment of major components and for some models they may not be found unless you buy a parts unit.

----------------

Paul parrot wrote:

It can be extremely important, in a bad way, if the amp is low powered. Then, if you try to listen at a decent volume, not extremely loud by any means, just decent, you'll be into compression and clipping.

----------------

Decent volume, extremely loud (or not) are entirely subjective...IOW a matter of opinion.

My wife often asks me to turn the music down because it is too loud, this is in her opinion of course, not mine! 2.gif

This is true of course, that different people have different ideas of what constitutes loud. But it could very well be a reaction to the distortion of the amps when they are pushed. Distortion is far more likely to make someone ill at ease than simple plain volume.

As an example I gave before, my old TV with a built-in two-inch speaker will play at 90dB. It sounds horrible that way and would make anyone want to leave the room. But it's not because of the volume level, it's the distortion level. Playing something 90dB on Klipschorns sounds pleasant.

----------------

On 7/27/2004 11:37:20 AM paulparrot wrote:

As an example I gave before, my old TV with a built-in two-inch speaker will play at 90dB. It sounds horrible that way and would make anyone want to leave the room. But it's not because of the volume level, it's the distortion level. Playing something 90dB on Klipschorns sounds pleasant.

----------------

"Playing something 90dB on Klipschorns sounds pleasant" is another opinion. I have had tube amps driving my K-horns that did not sound pleasant (to me) at 90dB. My current tube amps are able to drive my Klipschorns above 90dB and sound pleasant to me (and to everyone else who has heard them). YMMV of course. 2.gif

----------------

On 7/27/2004 3:13:31 PM edster00 wrote:

----------------

On 7/27/2004 11:37:20 AM paulparrot wrote:

----------------

"Playing something 90dB on Klipschorns sounds pleasant" is another opinion. I have had tube amps driving my K-horns that did not sound pleasant (to me) at 90dB. My current tube amps are able to drive my Klipschorns above 90dB and sound pleasant to me (and to everyone else who has heard them). YMMV of course.
2.gif

----------------

edster,

My 2A3 Moondogs drive my Khorns above 90db and sound very pleasant to me.

Klipsch out.

"My 2A3 Moondogs drive my Khorns above 90db and sound very pleasant to me."

My Moondogs make my Cornwalls sing with joy that I no longer have to be at "real" symphonies to "feel" the live experience!

When I said: "My current tube amps are able to drive my Klipschorns above 90dB and sound pleasant to me (and to everyone else who has heard them)." I should have said my current 2A3 amps, my Moondogs sounded great also. I would have loved to be able to keep both sets of SETs but I just don't have that kind of dough.

My wife and I are both spoiled.15.gif

Today I put the Jolida 302B in with the Blueberry and the Khorns. It sounded terrible compared to what I am used to. It actually sounds better on the Heresys.

With her help I quickly put the Wrights with the NOS Sylvania 2A3 black plates back on line. Nothing like 5-10 good clean watts with a little headroom. SWEET!3.gif

Rick