See what Bose is doing?

Rdmarsiii

CEDIA RECEIVES PARTIAL VICTORY

IN TRADEMARK LAWSUIT

FILED BY BOSE CORPORATION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Association shares update with members, maintains trademark it has held since 1998.

CEDIA has received a partial victory in its battle with Bose Corporation in the United States Patent and Trademark Office, Trademark Trial and Appeal Board over CEDIA's federal trademark registrations in the mark "Electronic Lifestyles." Bose Corporation sued to cancel CEDIA's four trademarks last year, claiming that CEDIA's "Electronic Lifestyles" mark was likely to cause confusion with Bose's trademark registrations for the term "Lifestyle," under which Bose markets a line of loudspeakers and music systems.

On July 9, 2004, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board ruled that Bose was too late in filing its cancellation action based on "priority" and "likelihood of confusion" as to the "printed publications" category of CEDIA's Electronic Lifestyles trademark. "Accordingly," said the board, " claim of priority and likelihood of confusion under Trademark Act Section 2(d) is hereby stricken from its amended petition for cancellation solely with regard to Registration." The Trademark Trial and Appeal Board's ruling is available in PDF format on CEDIA's web site at www.cedia.org.

In the same ruling, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board granted Bose's request to add a claim that CEDIA had abandoned its trademarks, noting that such requests to amend are "freely given" by the Board. Ray Lepper, CEDIA's President, said, "Bose's claim that CEDIA has abandoned its registrations in Electronic Lifestyles is as absurd as the rest of Bose's claims in this action. Quite frankly, we believe that Bose saw that it was going to lose its claims based on 'priority' and 'likelihood of confusion,' and it concocted this abandonment claim to keep something alive as to the printed publications registration. We have every confidence that CEDIA will prevail in all of its defenses to Bose's actions, including Bose's new claim of 'abandonment'."

Lepper continued, "To date, Bose's trademark action has cost the CEDIA membership $68,780.91 in expenses defending the action. As I have said before, this association has been built by the long, tireless efforts of thousands of volunteers and sponsors, and to have our trademark challenged in this manner by one of our very own members is very disturbing. To sue one's own association is wholly inconsistent with the spirit of cooperation and sacrifice that is the hallmark of the true CEDIA member."

"Let me make it perfectly clear to everyone in this industry," said Lepper, "that CEDIA is committed to defending our members' rights and preserving their association's intellectual property from this unwarranted attack by Bose Corporation."

----------------

On 7/20/2004 1:18:59 PM picky wrote:

What's next? BOSE BLOSE TROJANS?
9.gif"
----------------

hahahah picky! Most wives like bose for there small and unassuming size...AHEM...I'm not sure that would be the case here!

----------------

On 7/20/2004 1:03:08 PM Rdmarsiii wrote:

CEDIA RECEIVES PARTIAL VICTORY

IN TRADEMARK LAWSUIT

FILED BY BOSE CORPORATION

----------------

You know? If Bose spent all that time, effort, and money in actual R&D instead of these stupid lawsuits, they would probably end up with a product that is actually worth the asking price!

Suing over "Lifestyle"! That is just about as bad as Microsoft suing Lindows over the "Windows" trademark. However, Microsoft and Lindows finally settled out with Microsoft paying Lindows $20M on the condition that Lindows change thier name (which they did - to "Linspire"), thus essentially buying out the "Lindows" trademark. It was looking like this whole thing was about to back-fire on Microsoft, running a risk that Microsoft would not be able to claim a trademark on "Windows", which is actually a pretty common term in the computer field.

Would be funny as hell if the same thing happened to Bose, since "Lifestyle" is actually a fairly common term. It is not like Bose came up with the term themselves. They only use it to name a series of (and admittedly, a pretty crappy and overpriced series at that), of home-theater systems.

I don't see where the confusion in the market place in this case, since CEDIA is not trying to sell any home-theater systems, they are only using thier trademark to name a series of awards to the best HT installations. I had no trouble distinquishing the differenct between CEDIA's "Eletronic Lifestyles" vs Bose "Lifestyle systems".

Maybe Bose needs to change thier slogan to:

"Better Sound through Hype and Lawsuits"

----------------

On 7/21/2004 6:38:42 AM stan krajewski wrote:

When I google the word Bose I get the following hit (right at the top):

Bose® - Better Sound Through Research®

Kinda says it all.

----------------

Saying it doesn't make it true. 2.gif

----------------

The best thing about Bose is that they don't start any flame wars.

----------------

One could argue that in the absence of Bose, there would be fewer flame wars. Maybe it's not a GOOD argument, but one could argue it just the same. 9.gif

They are infamous for patenting, trademarking or copyrighting everything that they can possibly patent / copyright / trademark. Some of the things they've been able to do via the application of enormous quantities of money and legal beagles is amazing.

Famous case a few years back - the Theil speaker company had a product called the CS 2. They upgraded it to a CS 2.1, then a CS 2.2

Bose sued them, stating that the "2.2" nomenclature was a Bose trademark. Believe it or not, Bose won. Theil was forced to rename the speaker to the CS 2 2 without the decimal point.

Hmmm...so, Bose now "owns" the decimal point? That's great! I can't wait to tell my boss that he can no longer use the decimal point without a license from Bose. That should add a few extra bucks to my next paycheck! ($X,XXX.XX = $XXX,XXX) 2.gif

Here's a link to a PDF file showing trademarks owned by Bose.

I particularly find things like "Companion®" and "INSTALLER" and "LIFESTYLE®" and "RoomMate®" and "Better Sound" amuzing. I guess if Klipsch said something like:

"Have a professional installer change the lifestyle of you and your companion or roommate with the better sound you'll get from our in-wall speakers"

Bose would claim it should have been written:

"Have a professional INSTALLER change the LIFESTYLE® of you and your Companion® or RoomMate® with the Better Sound you'll get from our in-wall speakers"

and violated at least five trademarks.

oh, and I almost forgot, they also trademarked the numbers 101, 201 and 301 (in addition to others) so I guess any college or university offering a class in Music Appreciation 101 (or the sophmore or junior year equivalent) had better be using Bose speakers or they're gonna get sued...

----------------

On 7/21/2004 9:40:06 AM Ray Garrison wrote:

Famous case a few years back - the Theil speaker company had a product called the CS 2. They upgraded it to a CS 2.1, then a CS 2.2

Bose sued them, stating that the "2.2" nomenclature was a Bose trademark. Believe it or not, Bose won. Theil was forced to rename the speaker to the CS 2 2 without the decimal point.

----------------

Wait a minute here! Wasn't there also a case several years ago where Intel tried to sue AMD over the "486" nomenclature for computer processors?. At the very least, I do remember that Intel named what was to be the "586" the "Pentium", since they could not trademark the number "486".

I've also saw in that PDF file where Bose had numbers such as "101" trademarked. Despite the Thiel case, I wonder how much that "101" trademark would hold up if somebody actually challanged it. It would seem rediculus that nobody else could name a speaker model using the number "101", lest they face the wrath of the almighty Bose.