1st 24 Hours With Khorns

garymd

1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif

Need I say more? I really thought I'd have to wait a few more years before I owned a pair.

I'm planning on leaving them be for at least a month. I was told to remove the diodes connected to the tweeters but I can't seem to find any. Were these on all the models or must they already have been removed? Also, something about an "L" bracket which I don't see either.

My corners seem to be very good as is. I will at some point seal them but not for a little while. They certainly aren't bass shy but I assume sealing them will just tighten it up.

The sound is just huge. The imaging is amazing. Not a bad seat in the room either. I haven't had the house to myself yet to really let loose. I'm looking forward to that. Although I've heard many khorns, particulary over the past year, it's much different in your own home with your own equipment and music. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep last night.

Anything else I should do at this point? Any suggestions would be appreciated and thanks to all of you for the kind words over the past couple of days.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1976 Khorns should have type AA crossovers which use 2 zener diodes each as part of a tweeter protection circuit. They are bolted to a metal bracket on the crossover. Leave them in. They are a good thing and help protect the tweeter from damaging transients. They do nothing until peaks equivalent to around 100 watts are sent to the crossovers. At that point, the zeners would start to conduct and limit power to the tweeters to around 2 watts.

Bob Crites

I agree with the advice of BEC et al.

Live with those ladies for a time before making changes ( If any ). I reverted my AAs to type A and found an improvement but that said I also at the same time rope caulked the mid horns with butyl rubber tape*. The sound was improved but whether it was the A mod or the damping of the mid horns that made the difference I cannot honestly say.

In any event you need to live with them as is long enough to establish a base line before doing any mods to the Xover.

I notice that one of them has a couple of veneer chips at the bottom.You can either put a strip of wood across them or 11.gif ( given what they cost you ) 11.gif have a competent furniture craftsman patch and match the veneer on the damaged speaker.

* Available at most RV dealers at $20.00 for a 25ft roll or at a hardware store at $6.00 for a 3ft blister pack.

Thanks for the explaination Bob. I did look for them on the crossovers but still didn't see them although I really didn't know what to look for. Yes, they're AAs. I'll just leave things as is for a while.

SSH - Yeah. Feels great. I can stop drooling on Larry's now.3.gif

----------------

On 7/21/2004 10:08:34 PM lynnm wrote:

I agree with the advice of BEC et al.

Live with those ladies for a time before making changes ( If any ). I reverted my AAs to type A and found an improvement but that said I also at the same time rope caulked the mid horns with butyl rubber tape*. The sound was improved but whether it was the A mod or the damping of the mid horns that made the difference I cannot honestly say.

In any event you need to live with them as is long enough to establish a base line before doing any mods to the Xover.

I notice that one of them has a couple of veneer chips at the bottom.You can either put a strip of wood across them or
11.gif
( given what they cost you )
11.gif
have a competent furniture craftsman patch and match the veneer on the damaged speaker.

* Available at most RV dealers at $20.00 for a 25ft roll or at a hardware store at $6.00 for a 3ft for blister pack.

----------------

Lynn,

One is a small chip, the other just a piece of tape that got stuck to the bottom (gone now). I noticed the nice base molding on Larry's '62s today and I may try to add that at some point.

Congratulations on your Klipschorn twins. You must be a very proud parent!16.gif

I agree with everyone else. Enjoy the sound for a while. You will agree how good the Khorns sound just slotted into place - contrary to what you might expect.

After nearly two months of Klipschorn ownership, I still haven't done any serious finetuning. I'm still thinking about and enjoying the idea of the tweaks I'm going to do.1.gif

Gary,

Don't worry about the Diodes its not like a light bulb will go off and a major improvement will be heard in fact I bet you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. Glad your loving them. What are you powering them with again 2.gif

Craig

Hey man I come from the MM forum but I can't resist to post on here and congrats you on the Khorns even though I've never heard them. I read the other post and I couldn't believe it was true, that guy that handed them to you must be a very very very good person! It's like if someone gave me the Klipsch's reference satts for free haha. Anyways congrats and enjoy them 1.gif .

Congratulations Gary!

When I first got mine I listened to my favorite CDs, several of which are more than 15 years old. I was amazed that I was able to hear things in them I had never heard before! On several occasions I would start listening and the next thing I knew it was about 4:00 AM! Time well spent in sonic nirvana!

You nailed it with your comment about having them in your home with your music. The best part is that you know you get to keep them not just listen to them!

Congratulations on the KHorns Gary. First thing I would do would be to seal those khorns to the wall you will be pleased with the results, better bass and it kind of adds more detail to the midrange. This is a must do for every khorn owner in my books.

Congrats Gary. Enjoy them as I do mine. It's nice that you got them as fast as you did, and even have acceptable WAF. 1.gif I, too, would leave them alone for a while. IIRC, they are '76, so may still have the cast K-400 horn? I couldn't hear any ringing from my K-400s, but since my speakers are disassembled for Bob's x-over refurb and diaphragm replacement, I will be mounting a K-401 composite horn on one to compare. Once it was off the mount, the 400 sure does ring when tapped. I'll be interested to see if I can hear a difference.

Lynnm-

I take it you have the metal horns as well? I am looking foward to the A/B comparison between the metal and composite horns.