Finally got to listen to RF-7's

Cleve

I was in the Rochester Klipsch dealer (Rowe Photo) a few days ago vainly searching for some information on dedicated streaming MP3 players for my system. Some RF-7's happened to be hooked up, and playing jazz, so I gave them an informal audition for a few minutes.

They are a very 'open' speaker. It was actually difficult at first for me to determine which speakers were playing (the RF-7's were in a row with other brands of tower speakers) The mid range and treble was very detailed and pleasing. Again, there was a distinct lack of boxiness to them.

However, they definitely seemed to be a bit lacking on the 'low end' They were hooked to a new McIntosh Mac-6500 integrated amp, so there wasn't a lack of power for certain. Turning up the bass control approx. half-way helped some, but not a lot. Power peaks were between over 0.2 watts, but less than 1 watt, per the superb Mac VU meters. Increasing the volume would increase the impact no doubt, but even at low volumes I can 'feel' bass from my CF-4's, especially if for background purposes I've dialed in some bass boost.

What struck me was how much physically smaller they are than my CF-4's. Smaller enclosures would tend to limit low-register impact. Of course, I'm thinking that the design strategy here is to have the matching RSW-15 handle the bass chores. Also, the speakers weren't corner placed, but several feet on each side from the corners. But in fairness, with the way my room is set up, my CF-4's labor under the same handicap.

When I have more time, I'll have to give them a longer audition, with some familiar material. I don't know if I'd do that at Rowe, though. Their listening room is poorly set up, and most of the Klipsch equipment is disconnected, or simply on display (including high end products like the RSW-15) Paradigm seemed to be the 'featured' equipment. And overall, the focus at Rowe is on PHOTOGRAPHY - there's about 6 employees working the photo counter, and like 1 or 2 on audio and home theatre, so trying to get a question answered is a rather frustrating experience. Klipsch's biggest challenge, IMO, is finding a dealer who actually cares about Klipsch and pays more than lip-service to the brand.

Interesting review of the RF-7s. My experience with RF-7s indicate that their bass response is very dependent upon room placement and amplification. It has taken several different moves of my RF-7s and various changes in amplification before I finally achieved a desired bass response and overall sound. I am not sure why the RF-7s are so sensitive to both variables. Thus, while the Mac has plenty of power and it may have been a nice choice for some speakers, it may not have necessarily been the optimal choice to get the best bass response out of the RF-7s. I cannot really tell you why, but this is just based on my experience and based on posts from other RF-7 owners.

Under the right circumstances, the twin ten inches do put out some nice bass that you can feel, even with their enclosure limitations - and without running a subwoofer. That's not to put the bass on the same level as your CF-4s, but the RF-7s could probably give a better presentation than what you heard.

Again, nice post.

Carl.

I agree with Carl. The RF-7s need an amp of at least 200 watts that can drive low impedances. A true high current amp can produce ample bass on the RF-7s.

I cut my RF-7s at 80 Hz and let the RSW-15 play below 80 Hz. When I added a Sunfire CG II at 225 watts x5, there was an amazing increase in bass. I had to turn down the RSW-15 a bit. (The slope of the crossover is a standard THX slope.)

Bill

----------------

On 7/30/2004 2:50:23 PM bclarke421 wrote:

SPEAKER SHOP
3604 MAIN STREET

AMHERST, NY 14226

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

PHONE:
716-837-1557

FAX:
716-836-2625

Give em a try. I don't have any first hand experience with them, but one of our reps said they run a straight operation.

----------------

Thanks for the suggestion, but I was in Speaker Shop about 4 months ago to purchase my FanFare FM antenna. I didn't even realize they were an authorized Klipsch dealer until after I left. I walked around, and saw a predominance of McIntosh amps and B&W speakers. Maybe I just didn't notice the Klipsch equipment (I kinda doubt it, though!)

But at least they were a traditional audio dealership - not a glorified camera store like Rowe 7.gif I'm in that area frequently, perhaps I'll stop in and do a little quality assurance visit for Klipsch gratis. Maybe I'll just ask them what they think of Klipsch, act dumb (that's easy for me! LOL) and see what they say?

For cryin out loud, you don't need 200wpc to get good bass out of the RF-7. According to the review from VTV -- you can get all you need from a good 1.5 watt SET amp!

Seriously though, the RF-7s hussle pretty good with 20 to 60 tube watts, but Leo is right -- you do need to use the corners.

• 3 months later...

More is always better, gives a certain quality that you can't get with lower watts.

I use the Rotel RB-1090 380watts Amp with my Klipsch RF-7 and the bass is

very tight, deep, and with alot of punch and slam that is very amazing! And

gives that slight warmness that the Klipsch need. This combo is a really

Wow-Factor! Very STUNNING!!! I wouldn't have known this though if it weren't for all the folks

here that told me of this combo! Thanks all!

When I first got my Klipsch RF-7, it did well with my Amp I had but the amp was on the bright side and lacked bass, but had done well with my other speakers. After I got the Rotel RB-1090, I was really amazed with the difference. Much more detail, bass, and smoothness. I'm very happy with

the Rotel and Klipsch combo!! Kevin.

I think a sub is always the way to go when you own RF7's, unless you a true, unwavering, die-hard 2-channel listener. I tried running my RF7's full range with 250 watts going to each (through 6AWG cable, if that matters) and I thought the bass was exactly as MrMcGoo described it. "Ample." Not nearly enough for my tastes. Leave the LFE duty to something meant for strictly LFE.

I agree with what Craig heard. I used to get very nice bass response from my RF-7s running my Rotel Solid State 1080, but my experience this past week is that both the Dynaco Mark IIIs and the Marantz 8B both put out excellent bass levels with my RF-7s. So much so that I am going to move my RF-7s out a little further from the corners (currently at 2 feet). The Marantz/RF-7 combo really surprised me with the bass response, and I may use it for awhile to run the RF-7s, and (save the Mark IIIs for Cornwalls).

Carl.

I agree with Dean too. I am your basic Heritage owner but my auditions of the 7's found them anything but lacking in the bass department, Ive always felt their mids and highs were there weakest point. Overall I believe they are a fantastic speaker. If the Heritage line did not exist they would be my choice.

Not nearly enough for my tastes. Leave the LFE duty to something meant for strictly LFE.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I get the point; LFE is not music. If you want thump you need a sub.

I have heard very musical bass from RF-7 with an 8 watt 300B at low volumes or the "VRD" with BLueberry.

I have been to both dealers many times before. Speaker shop is definitely anti klipsch and very pro b&w thats why they always hook up bw's to amps and klipsch to receivers. Also you cant determine the bass response at rowe that room isint ideal at all. Speakers are so backed up into the wall they cant even breathe. Bring them in your house and you will hear and feel the bass. Trust me the Rf-7's will sound alot better in your home than they do at speaker shop and rowe video.

The RF7's don't really stand out in a standard hi-fi shop scenario, lined up with a dozen other loud speaker brands. The RF7's are too neutral for that. It's when you get them home that their qualities shine through. I wouldn't say the RF7's are deficient in bass. They impress me as being quite extended with excellent bass definition. I wouldn't imagine you need huge watts either, just high quality watts. I prefer the Heritage sound, but if that wasn't an option, the RF7's would be next on my list, and if a subwoofer was needed, an RSW12 would be my choice.