Moved to tears

Tom Adams

Ok folks....fess up. How many of you out there have sat in an audience or even in front of your A/V system and listened (watched?) a performance and were moved to tears?

I am completely secure enough to say that it happens to me quite often. My first was as a kid listening to my oldest sister (trained operatic soprano turned rock singer who got older, settled down and now does voice/acting lessons and produces children's and adult little theater) sing the Ave Maria at Christmas in our cathederal. She also sang, on the spur of the moment with no rehersal (didn't know she was gonna be able to make my wedding), the Lord's Prayer a capella. LOL...the organist asked her what she would like to sing to and my sister replied, "I can sing whatever it is you can play." To some that may seem concieted, but it's the truth. The girl is amazing. Anyhow, it was cool for her to say, "So bro...ya want me to sing or what?" LOL.. 1.gif

And most recently I heard a young man sing a song from 'Phantom of the Opera' and not only did his performance bring tears, but that all too familiar tingle to the back of my neck. Oddly enough, the performance was during a variety show at the Alabama Theater in Mrytle Beach, SC.

Whew....glad I got this off my chest. 1.gif

Tom

Both my kids have been acting (mostly musicals) since age 5 or so. When my daughter landed her first solo at age 7, she didn't tell us and when we came to the play (P.T. Barnum), she sang "Everyone's A Kid Again At The Circus." It was so beautiful and my wife and I had no idea she could sing so well, especially on stage, alone in the spotlight. It was everything I could do to keep the tears from rolling down my face. In the video tape, you hear me sniffling in the background. That ranks #1 in the "moved to tears" category for me.

----------------

On 8/2/2004 1:17:17 PM Tom Adams wrote:

My first was as a kid listening to my oldest sister (trained operatic soprano turned rock singer who got older, settled down and now does voice/acting lessons and produces children's and adult little theater) sing the Ave Maria at Christmas in our cathederal.

----------------

Tell me your sister is not Pat Benetar4.gif

My mom always told me that showing emotions was a bad thing... especially in front of a girlfriend, etc... And, I do ok with not showing sadness for the msot part...

But, I have been moved to tears on a few occasions, yes... I can admit it. During movies... occasionally when I am still up at 3AM listening to music.... Depends on my mood... and right now I am in one of those sad moods.

Tom, sounds lie your sister can really carry a tune. Music to me almost always evokes an emotional response. Tears, oh yeah, and I can't begin to remmeber how many times a song has given me goosebumps or conversly, a lump in my throat.

----------------

On 8/2/2004 1:26:27 PM picky wrote:

By a cartoon, no less... I watched 'Ice Age' with my grandson last week and I got a "little misty-eyed" when the tribe gave the baby back to his dad. Great family flick!

----------------

LOL.. yeah, I know what you mean... Too funny. Not laughing at you, just giggling because I've been there.

----------------

On 8/2/2004 4:09:49 PM neo33 wrote:

Grown men don't cry!

----------------

Real men can admit it when they cry. Crying is a natural emotion that is not exclusive to women and does not make you any less of a man. 2.gif

Hell, for that matter, when my first son was born, I don't know who cried more, he or I. I couldn't stop crying. I was an emotional wreck for about 2 days.

I get to cry every week. As a wedding photographer, I get pretty close to my couples. There's almost always some little gesture during their ceremony or something said during a toast that gets me a little misty. When I stop getting emotional about it, it'll be time for a new career.

Tonight for instance. Bride and Groom come over to house to view their previews on big screen (projected, with background beautiful soft jazz playing on KLIPSCH speakers!). The Bride told be before ceremony that her wedding company was comprised of 5 little girl cousins ages 12-15, just like her Mom had done at her wedding. My assistant grabbed this beautiful b&w shot of the backs of 4 of these little cousins in their fragile dresses with first formal hairdo's, then whispered to the little gals "turn you head over your shoulder and look here"! then got a shot of the 4 little minxes giveing her their best 13-year old 'foxy' look!

Just AWESOME, the Bride, her Groom, and I just stared at those images and really got weepy eyed. I LOVE my job!

Heres a story about a moving musical experience. Twenty years ago I went with a date, purely on a lark, to hear a community orchestra (i.e., amateurs, hobbyists) performing at the local university. The hall was about half full, maybe 150 in the audience. For their finale they did William Tell Overture (aka, the Lone Ranger theme). I probably had an initial cynical reaction to that selection (Hi-yo, Silver!). However, that reaction changed dramatically. These valiant amateur musicians struggled through it, with a missed note here and there, but as they reached the last few dynamic lines of the piece, they actually held it together, by the skin of their teeth you might say. As the last note of the climactic ending quieted, many members of the audience, comprised no doubt of families and friends of the musicians, leapt to their feet, applauding and shouting, with a standing ovation. They were so proud. I did not cry at that point, but was moved by the combination of the dedication of these amateur musicians, the quaintness of their semi-skilled performance, the immense pride of their families, as well as the emotionally-rousing musical piece. Now, anytime I hear the William Tell Overture, I think of that scene and get a little misty-eyed.

Tom Blasing asked: "Tell me your sister is not Pat Benetar."

Well...with as little prejudice as I can muster, my sister is quite capable of handing Pat Benetar's a** to her. 1.gif

The only thing that kept my sister from "the big show" of Broadway was, self admitedly, rebellion with a mixture of stupidity & pregnancy thrown in for good measure. However, she got back on track and loves what she's doing now.

Back on topic....watching Stevie Ray Vaughn on DVD moves me to tears. Not sure if it's the music, the tragedy of his death, the performance or all of the above.

Tom