Strange habit

dtel

• Moderators

My wife and i have done landscaping {gardens, beds,trees,ponds} for 13 years now,we see a lot of new and older homes. These homes range from 2 or 3 bedrooms to 3 story 15,000 SF. It never fails when viewing the inside i catch myself looking where i would put speakers and equipment ,is it just me or do others do this kind of thing when they visit a new home?

Yes, lol we all do. Nothing worse than seeing an awesome house... even one with a dedicated HT with a sub par system too,... To ones that make you drool!

But I have also been in sub par homes..(not a slam..) But with people so dedicated to audio with incredible systems asking myself. How they heck can they afford this system too? It is basically about priorities and $$ are the bottom line too. New Camero.. Or an audio system for a lifetime on credit? LOL.

INDY KLIPSCH has a really well put together HT in the family room off of the kitchen.

Mine is much smaller and I amaze people with RB-5s in the HT.

It is a much smaller area since the back of the room is for the study of my teenagers with 2 computer desks ( an ultimate priority in life, the education of the four kids).

Roger,

Are you going to get to sing at a Colts game this year?

This is so funny! I do this all the time and it drives my wife crazy. We went looking for a new home here in Idaho I turned down 3 really nice ones before this one because there was no room in any of them that I felt would suit my needs for HT and Music. We found this house on a fluke. We were looking at one right across the street from this one. When we were done walking through I noticed this house and the for sale sign. I asked my realty lady if we could look at it becaused we loved the front (curb appeal). Anyway we were being told about its features as we were walking over to it and she said that all the rooms were large, which is what we needed(having 6 kids). As soon as we walked in my wife says this is it!

I said whooo there missy! You know the one criteria I have and there is no way around it. So our agent leads us down into this wonderful open basement just screaming at me...The La Scalas there, the surrounds there OMG! I'll take it! Oh by the way how much...lol

Man did I ramble on regarding the subject.

Yeah Yeah I always look especaily when I go to someones house I have never been before. 9.gif

Scooter

Me too!!!

I do residential architecture for fun (design homes in AutoCAD) and I look at 1000's of floorplans. I ALWAYS look at how a home theater would work. I am not as concerned about surround speakers (you can always make them WORK), but more of a TV/front speaker relationship to the seating area.

The reason I bought my latest 2 story house was because downstairs had a perfect room for home theatre and music. In my next house I will custom build a dedicated room designed to exploit the Klipschorns. I also turned down several houses before my present because they didn't suit my passion for music.

----------------

On 8/14/2004 7:48:32 AM fini wrote:

I'm always checking out TV shows and movies as well for audio gear. It's a sickness...

----------------

Same here. I often find myself watching a program like Trading Spaces and during the "before" shots, when they show a large screen TV and a rack full of components, I find my pausing the TiVo to look at it closely. It always seems that they have this impressive looking TV and stack of components, then have these tiny little rinky-dinky, crappy looking speakers. There was on episode, I swear though it looked like they had a pair of Klipsch Chorus speakers. Of course, in the finished room, they designer took them out.

Those friggan interior designers seem to be so anti-HT in those programs. Every single epsidoe I've seen, they either completely remove the speakers or they try to hid it all in a cabinet. I know that if they did that to my system, It will be back in that room as soon as they leave.

LOL...too funny. And all along I thought I was alone. Yep - I've done the "this is a really nice house and I love the layout and the front elevation is quite attractive. But where in the hell is the A/V stuff gonna go? And what idiot put the cable outlet on that wall?"

When we were looking for a house plan, one of the main criteria's (for both of us) was that it had to have one room of suitable size for a dedicated HT. We found one and built it. I'll be even happier when the HT is finished!

kenratboy - check out frankbetz.com. Nice designs there. We used one of his plans (the Elway) with some mods.

Tom

Audio Flynn

Thanks for the compliment.

Yes, it is a goal to sing the USA national anthem at the NFL Colts game this year. I have not heard which one, and trying not to get too excited, because it gets very, very, political at this level. (They say it will happen, I will tell you all if it does this season.) For those not in the loop I have been doing this since HS/College and done it for everyone else in town AAA Indians, NBA Pacers, IndyFireBirds arena football, ICE Hockey, ESPN horse shows, even at some conventions and opening ceremonies.

It is not an ego thing, I assure you, I just enjoy it. I do not sing for a living but I have enjoyed doing this my whole life. I get asked back, get free tks a lot of the time to events, so it does pay off.

This is one of my dreams too. One of the top Colts office people who is Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing, lives like 4 doors down from me. He said they will get me in a game this year, but I will believe it when I see it. Or in this case, sing it..LOL

I live in a nice area of Indianapolis, lots of pretty houses and most with some kind of a HT set up. Sometimes I am surprised at good systems and some times very disappointed too. I think it boils down not to an individuals money, but more if this is something they really do want to make special or just something else as another room which is part of their house.

I do it too, especially when I was looking for a condo/townhome this summer. Of course with La Scalas, I had to find a place with a large living room. Now I just need a single La Scala for the center and to start saving up for the plasma or LCoS. Oh well, it's always something...6.gif