Can FORUM ruin the experience?

colterphoto1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 9/6/2004 8:31:59 AM bkrop wrote:

Why don't you give an exclusively 2 channnel stereo system a try with your cornwalls for music only, I bet you would be shocked!
----------------

Michael, I agree with bkrop. Start over so to speak. Listen to nothing for a few weeks.

Move everything out. Go two channel for a while. Two CWs (long wall), Preamp, Power Amp and source.

Then build around it, tuning the room as you go.

Hang in there!

TC

y'know, you might be on to something although I'd still pretty much keep it all in the same room, the 2ch/6ch separation thing might just work for me. It doesn' help in the clutter department, but SOUND-WISE, check this out.

One of the BIG probs is getting the Cornwalls located properly to the tv monitor. I'm also fighting the RC7/Cornwall debate. If I get say 4x RB5 for surround system and use with RC7 and KSW15, that becomes it's own theatre system. It woudn't have the Corn slam, but would be far more balanced system for movies.

The Cornwalls could be hooked up to same system for source material but oriented differently in the room, WITHOUT HAVING TO TAKE THE TV into consideration, and just be a killer 2ch system. I rarely use those yammie 'surround programs' for music anyway,who needs more reverb.

I'm following IB's advice for now and not doing nuthin! Maybe I'll have better appreciation for what I have when I get it hooked up. Okay, I'll go ahead and put RXV850 in basement with KSB1.1 mini system (I bought 4 extras and the KSC-C1 a year ago in anticipation of having second mini-system at this home) This system will have old dvd player so I can do movies, CD's in my new workout area. Hell, maybe I just need to clear out a few cobwebs anyway!!

Thanks gang,

Michael

It is so easy to get caught in the cycle you find yourself in. I get in it once in awhile. Then I turn up what I have and smile. Part of the problem is the search for the ultimate audio sound is an unending journey. I rather enjoy reading about what others have and how it appeals to them but the trick to realize your ears are the only ones that have to be satisfied with your decision. I also know what my basic desires are. Keeping that knowledge at the center of my basis for making a change has kept me happy with my choices. As m00n stated earlier I know there are better options available to improve my system, but it is my overall satisfaction with what I have that keeps me smiling. Just know this your system does not suck its pretty d@mned impressive. If you want to challenge that opinion just go out and listen to what is begin passed off as a great home entertainment option, and then listen to what you have. I am sure you will smile with delight once again. And last but not least just say "Hello my name is Mike and I am an audioholic"

OK. Take back that receiver and buy separates. With all those speakers you should have a 5 channel speaker system. I'd suggest a Sherbourn 5 channel amplifier and a Denon DVD-2200 0r 2900 CD/DVD player and a B&K Ref. 30 preamp. The Denon players have excellent DACS. You'll get 95% of a top end system and save thousands. Stay away from THX certified stuff. THX will restrict how you can setup your system and limits your choices. I have an inexpensive Sherwood Newcastle preamp. This is another good option. You can buy them used for about 400.00. You want a preamp that has a 6 channel analog pass through and bass management for all channels. I conducted critical listening test with my Newcastle and I couldn't tell a difference between my tube amp when played through my preamp or directly into my amplifier. I have a switch on my tube amp that allows me to switch back and forth in real-time.

SACD/DVD-A breathed new life into my audio system. Music was fuller, warmer, more dynamic and with great bass extension. These new formats and getting away from the Yamaha receiver will give you the sound you want. I would also think about keeping your Cornwalls and selling everything else to buy a pair of K-horns. A Forte or Heresy would make a good center channel too. I hope you have a sub. When I first hooked up a sub to my Cornwalls I thought I was in heaven.

Thanks for the 'separates' advice, but it's probably too late for me. See, I've alreadyexchanged a Pioneer EX500 DOlby Digital receiver/DVD player for this Yamaha receiver. I doubt if my retailer will swap me out again.

How are you guys getting 5/6 channel preamp and hooking them up to separate 2 channel tube systems AND enjoying HT with 6 channels of amp and separate speakers. Seems like a room full of equipment, can't possibly be less expensive than one BIG receiver, can it?

Thanks, until I get this sorted out, my new name is

MUD (see the signature below)

I just use a Toshiba 3950 DVD player connected to a 1K stereo stepped attenuator hooked up to a tube amp into '83 Cornwalls.(2 channel music app.)

The signal is also split at the rear of the DVD player and feeds a active crossover into a sub amp and a pair of subwoofers parked next to each Cornwall.

The DVD is S-linked to a cheap TV for watching DVD's once in awhile. It's just two channel, but DVD's are kinda cool through a SET amp.3.gif

But it's just pretty much a two channel music set-up.

From time to time I will buy a tube amp or use a demo and hook it into my front channels. Then I use my premap to reduce the output of my front channels by -9db's. MY ss amp runs my rears and center. This makes for a nice setup and I can still use the tubes for 2 channel audio too. You might want to keep the receiver for HT and buy a tube amp for 2 channel listening. I'm actually selling a Spark amp which is like the Cayin TA-30 but only puts out about 12 watts. It's on Ebay with a Buy it now of 450.00. There are other good used tube gear on Ebay too. I still think that SACD/DVD-A even with your Yamaha receiver will make a huge difference in your listening pleasure. You can even down mix into 2 channel listening if you don't have a 5 speaker setup.

I have my Khorns hooked to the common or center lugs on the back of a Niles DSP-1 amp/speaker selector. I have my Scott tube amp hooked to the "IN/B" side and my Yamaha receiver to the "OUT/A" side of the selector. If I am watching a movie, it's out, if I listen to two channel, it is in. Best of both worlds. I have Khorns L/R fronts, a Belle center and Corns for L/R rears. My Pioneer CD player has a digital and analog out. The digital goes to my Yam. and my analog goes to my Scott. Hope this helps. This setup also makes it easy to A/B the tube and SS systems.

I agree with other posters above, you need to simplify for a while. For music listening, get down to a basic system and just chill for a while until you can determine which direction you're going with your system.

I always recommend separating the HT system from the 2-channel system.

How often do you listen to the HT system anyway? And how loud does an HT system really have to be? When I listen to my modest HT system, I'm rarely at 1/2 the volume it's capable of, and the impact of the movie is far superior to any movie theater I've been to. Also, when it's too loud, the changes in sound levels from a talking scene to an action scene are annoying. When it's too loud, the talking scenes are not enjoyable anymore. There is a limit.

I do not feel the same way about listening to music. There, I am looking for more volume and impact.

I agree with your idea of wanting the HT system to blend in, I think that looks the best. It will be very difficult to do that if you get caught up in the Heritage Klipsch HT idea.

As for the 2-channel system, I say let it show. Choose speakers that become pieces of furniture in the room, and simplify the electronics so they are not overburdening.

Lastly, it's about the music, not the equipment. Simplify, and let the music come through as little electronics as possible between the source and the speakers.

Greg

chill out dude... (taken from Nemo....)

You have an incredible house.. Yes, it is in the "move in stage" getting things where you like em too. Without a "little misses" to help you too.. Even more stress. The room off to the left for clients.. Then the big family room needs to be clear of stuff... it is very important to look professional to allow customers to be at ease too.

And not every persons "dream system" is for everyone too. In very rare exceptions (Q MAN) could anyone build a K horn center.. etc etc and pull it off. I know a 20K system with big name speakers(non Klipsch)... That IMO, sounds like crap!

Some of the suggestions are great ones too. A properly matched system even the "synergy" one from Best Buys will just sound better than a poorley miss matched one any day of the week. The fireplace you have is beautiful.. should be the focus of that room. In years to follow, a flat panel screen above or just to the side a little where it is still stone.. might be that ideal place too. But how do you put a killer "movie" experience with that too? You may not be able to. And thus the smaller hidden movie system speaker wise makes some sense. Not a budget el cheapo one.. but you get my point. That back wall with the window going out back is wide enough for those Cornwalls you have maybe a art deco classy table with some good photography books and a portfolio book you have done is a perfect place for them? And I agree, maybe the Cornwalls are just for 2 channel too.

We spend soo much time beating ourselves up over this and that on here.. We argue this cable, this tube in my tube amp, this "xyz" made by pretty virgins rolled between their legs...( Nope those are good cuban cigars...lol sorry.) RELAX.

Even artto in his "perfect" room has gone through many many changes. I guarantee someone in here has spent 100k on a room he hates... to someone off of ebay has a killer used system 2k tottaly invested in it, and is overjoyed too.

What you like is the answer. How you get there is the journey.. That's life.

See you should of joined us at Birdy's... Michael Kelsey live was incredible... A MUST see next time. I even was asked to join him on stage and got to sing with him playing.. Wayyyy cool! Got my 3 min of fame..LOL (Jack n Diane..for an Indiana crowd, it was sooo cool!) I will let Trey tell ya if I embarrased myself or not, he went with me.

Thanks Indy,

I got to get out more. Even some friends bringing a dancer over last night didn't help my down mood. I stayed in house while they played in hot tub- I am sick or what!

I'll eventually get around to hooking all this stuff up again. Just can't face it all right now. Taxes from this year still due (sept 15 final deadline) business production behind, general blues over leaving family farm, got to get rest of stuff moved and that house sold, etc. etc. Right now I've got Imac jukebox in office thru Yammie rec into Dahlquist office system so there are tunes. Just can't face building the BIG system. (and it used to be so much fun, putting all those little patch cords together).

Methinks maybe I need to hire a pro like one of the Ovation home installers just to do a total re-engineer of the systems. Perhaps that's going to far with my equipment and resources. Maybe a few friends and a brainstorming session would do. ????

Thanks for being a set of ears out there. THis summer has been overwhelming.

Michael

Michael - sounds like you have some bigger picture worries to put to bed before you can allocate the appropriate focus and energy on the big system. Reconcile those and I bet you'll find the enjoyment again, versus seeing it as one more burden among several you have at the moment. Hang in there pal, it'll come to you.

P.S. new rule, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get in the hottub with the dancer, net net you will never be worse after than you were before....peace, art

----------------

On 9/6/2004 6:39:30 PM wrench_peddler wrote:

I have my Khorns hooked to the common or center lugs on the back of a Niles DSP-1 amp/speaker selector. I have my Scott tube amp hooked to the "IN/B" side and my Yamaha receiver to the "OUT/A" side of the selector. If I am watching a movie, it's out, if I listen to two channel, it is in. Best of both worlds. I have Khorns L/R fronts, a Belle center and Corns for L/R rears. My Pioneer CD player has a digital and analog out. The digital goes to my Yam. and my analog goes to my Scott. Hope this helps. This setup also makes it easy to A/B the tube and SS systems.

----------------

I'm with Wrench here. I also use the Niles switch and it keeps my 2-channel with tubes (scott 299b) pure bliss while the HT is completely seperate. I'm more into 2-channel anyway and a slight mismatch across the front 3 (cornwalls/academy) in HT mode doesn't bother me. I was lucky and got it right the first time when I bought the scott. The Sony HT receiver (DA5ES) is horrible for 2-channel.

Some friends bringing a dancer over last night didn't help my down mood. I stayed in house while they played in hot tub- I am sick or what!

Did you at least take pics...?? Yes your sick!!

Shame on you too!! A single guy with a hot tub...and you didn't participate? Man you are stressed!! You know you can get a live video feed make some huge$$ too.. That is if she was cute!!

I can see it now.. MichaelsStudmuffinplace.com hahaha

I might pay to see that!! J/K