Anyone else got tinnitus?

pHEnomIC69

I'm just wonderin if anyone else has it, (its ringin in the ears btw). I don't really listen to extremely loud music. I usually play it at normal levels but I do listen to it a lot. I think its comin from that. Ive had the problem for about a year and it bugged me really bad when i first noticed it but i only notice it at night when its perfectly silent and i have nothing else to think about. Any suggestions on not making it worseand just curious if anyone else has it?

Do you have an SPL meter so you can measure your listening levels? You say "normal listening", but that doesn't reveal much. What is normal for you, may not be normal for someone else.

Have you been to the doctor? There are other things that can cause ringing in the ears other than Tinnitus. You should get checked if you haven't done this.

Yeah, high blood pressure can cause it, too.

I have had tinnitus, along with a 30-40dB hearing loss in the 3-4k hz range in my left ear for years, due to a buddy squeezing off a round from his 44 mag. about 3 feet from my head. This was probably 25 years ago. I was putting ear protection on, but I was too slow.7.gif On the up side, this is probably why horns with cheap solid-state amplification doesn't bother me. 9.gif Every dark cloud has a silver lining, eh?

pHEnomiC69, if you really don't listen for long periods over 90dB or so, that would not cause your tinnitus, nor sjould it aggravate it.

----------------

On 9/12/2004 8:54:35 AM lynnm wrote:

Tinnitus can be caused by a whole range of things. You should see a doctor and/or an audiologist ASAP.

----------------

Lynnm's advice is extremely well-taken. I would also treat your inner ears gently from now on -- try to avoid loud sounds, wear ear protection around them (except for music of course), and suggest you try to avoid violent head movements, which I think caused my primarily left-sided tinnitus to abruptly go into a Meniere's disease with hyperaucusis on that side. I lost almost all hearing in that ear some 15 years later.

Larry

Well, I don't have an SLP checking device. I have always been looking for one that isnt too expensive just to have. It could be many things i agree.

The first time i noticed it was when i was somewhat sick and I did go to the doctors. He said i was probably blowing my nose and putting a lot of pressure on my ear canals, therefore causing weird sensations and ringing. It went down after a week but now, since i learned about it, sometimes i think about it and notice it. My blood pressure is normal and I am pretty healthy, and eat good. I do have a somewhat stressful life, get little sleep, and some other stuff.

Well, its good to know that normal music wouldnt cause it. I don't think i usually listen to music at 90 db, on occasion, i will crank it but not for more than a few minutes. So, anything under 85db can't give you any hearing loss or any other damage?

Huh? What was the question? All kidding aside, yes, have had it for many years now, as a result of indulging myself in the madness of car audio some 15=20 years ago. Funny how the left front speaker, in close proximity to the left ear, "quietly" erodes your ability to hear, and the damage is permanent. Sadly, too many of the "younguns" out there saturating themselves in high dB's will meet the same fate one day.

Popbumper 8.gif

Yup, that's why I bought dual 15-inch subs. Cause I was one of those kids who liked to show off down the road, making everyone 3 blocks down feel the earth move. But eventually it gets old, and you realize your ears are precious, and so I began to listen to my music in the car at normal, which became much more pleasing, levels.

I have had it for as long as I can remember. As you noticed, it is bothersome when everything is quiet, that is why my stereo is on 24/7 and I have amps and speakers in almost every room. Since I spend most of my time in the living room and bedroom those have the good equipment in them. Having something on in the background helps me to ignore it.

If you are interested in a (relatively) cheep SPL meter the Rat Shack is only $50 and is serviceable. http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=33-2055

pHEnomIC69: Hello there fellow Michigander! Your profile mentions that you are 15 years old. I am 52. I don't wish for this to sound like one of those, "Bck when I was your age" stories, but I don't know of any other way to explain it. So, at the risk of painting myself "a geezer" for life, here goes:

BACK WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE 2.gif, actually, when I was about 20, I bought my first serious pair of really good stereo speakers. I found that I could play them louder than my old ones and because I didn't hear any obvious distortion, they didn't seem as loud as they were in reality. They were actually much louder than i had thought becuase they sounded clean.

About a month after I got them, some of my friends began to ask me to quit shouting when I talked to them. They also told me I was beginning to say "What?" a lot whenever they said something to me. I was in the Navy at the time (shore duty) so I went to sick bay and asked them to examine my hearing. They made the determination that I was suffering from tinnitus and it was because I'd been exposing my hearing to a constant bombaredment of music at over 90 db for extended periods of time. They asked me if I had noticed a hissing in my ears at all times. I said yes. So, they asked me to try and not listen to the music for a month and see what happens. I'm sure you can imagine what it is like for a 20-year-old to have to give up his music for a whole month! It was awful! But the hissing went away.

Not everyone is so lucky and tinnitus can be caused by a lot of different reasons, which our fellow forum members have already mentioned here. My suggestion for you is this; still enjoy your music, but try backing off the volume a bit, or listen for shorter periods of time, or seat yourself further away from the speakers. At 52 my hearing ability is still above normal and that's after working around fighter jets for 7 years and playing in a rock group in the Detroit Bar circuit for a few years. Ear plugs are a wonderful thing. If you value your hearing and want to be able to enjoy great sound for a lifetime as I have; take it from an old geezer: Rock on, but do so responsibly! Best of luck! 2.gif

I worked at airport, in construction, as roadie PLUS the home rock and roll thing and at 45 still have good hearing. My grandfather and great-grandfather were stone deaf at my age. Dad and two of my uncles had to have ear surgery to replace a couple of the fine bones in inner ear be cause of farm noise and heridtary hearing loss. How have I avoided this - EAR PROTECTION. I don't even turn on a saw or lawnmower without tapered E.A.R protectors in. Usually wear them at concerts as well (until headline act comes on and even then leave one so you can hear in morning) There's lots of things in life you don't have to hear at 90-100 dB, so I just cut em down by 30 dB or so.

With music, my doctor said that the fine receptors in the ear need breaks, that is the problem with industrial noise. So if ya crank it, just don't crank it for so long that you cause damage.

Like a lot of things in life, you don't know your hearing's gone or diminished until it's too late. I highly recommend everyone who values their hearing to make an appointment with an audiologist. Getting an evaluation is not expensive and even if nothing's wrong, you get a baseline reading to compare to later in life. Men lose high frequencies faster than women and we all lost the ability to distinguish speech first, so GET CHECKED OUT! Your Klipsches depend on it.

Michael

I have it, spent several trips to the doctor and audiologist without much luck. My hearing actaully tested just fine for a 40 year old. They really didn't have a whole lot to say in regards to the ringing. Told me to take a lot of niacin which didn't seem to help me any although I always like the hot flashes it gave me. I don't drink much, pretty low blood pressure, not overly stressed, not too much caffiene. In any event the group of ear doctors I saw were little or no help.

If fact most of what I researched said there's not much you can do about it but try to ignore it.

Well at least you know it's nothing major or a hearing loss. If the ringing or hissing bothers you when you try to go to sleep, try running a small fan at low speed or getting one of the clock radios with the 'soundscape' digital environmental sounds built in. This will help mask your innner noise.

Heres to good health and good listening!