Alan Songer�s dirty vinyl

artto

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I, boomac, have searched my files for the e-mail that Allan sent regarding the record in question. I cant find it. However, if it was like any other e-mail that Allen sends, and I believe it was, it said something like this.

Scott, Im sending you a couple LPs. If you liked X, youre gonna love these. Check them out and if you want to keep them, A is $20 and B is $35. If not, send them back when you get a chance.

Now, I dont believe I ever mentioned anything about the LP, in question, being Near Mint. I dont think Allan did either. He doesnt have to grade them for me. As mentioned, hes willing to take anything back without question.

Allan Songer has 946 eBay transactions. 946 Positive - Zero negative - Zero neutral! You simply cannot maintain a 100% positive feedback rating, with that many transactions, unless your grading is fair and accurate.

This thread was about kiddin a friend. Some of you have read way too much into it and are thus, way the heck out in left field. Some of you have skimmed through the posts and really have no good idea what is going on here.

If Allan says its Near Mint you can take it to the bank. If you dont think he graded it accurately, you can take it back. How the heck can you argue with that?

I, boomac, speak from experience. All mine have been VFG!!!

Unless you can cite a negative experience, regarding the rating of a record, by Allan Songer, please don not post any further comments.

This thread needs to die. Fini you have an exemption.

16.gif

----------------

On 9/16/2004 1:44:40 PM Griffinator wrote:

What can I say, Paul? I grew up listening to Blue Oyster Cult, Iron Maiden, Twisted Sister, etc. - I can't give it up just for "sonic purity"...

----------------

A-friggan-MEN!

Was fun rocking out with ya during the Klipsch gathering back in June, bro! 10.gif

Paul, you are my friend -- but if you say one more damn word about this I'm going to go pick up Craig, drive to your house, and make you spend a week with him. I realize there are stronger threats, but for now -- I think this one should give you pause. 9.gif

Allan, Ill take your dirty viynal, I love my new record cleaner, speaking of which, any self respecting audiophile with a high end turntable should always wash a new record before playing it. They must of had budget equipment to play the record you sold them on, their fault for not knowing better.2.gif

Any self-respecting dealer should clean a record before selling it.

The way a couple folks spin the facts so furiously here, it's more like 78 than 33. How could anyone begin to give a grade to a record that was covered with dirt? Sending a filthy record to a customer who is loyal to a fault is a remarkably disrespectful thing to do. A more fitting grade than NM would have been POS. (Or at least "Unknown.")

Notice to all Klipsch Forum Members:

I am not a record dealer. I sell about 100-150 records per year, about half of them at cost (or LESS--I give away A LOT of records to friends--at least FOUR Klipsch board memebers have received FREE OF CHARGE some pretty valuable records because I was able to buy them CHEAP and pass them along to SHARE THE JOY OF MUSIC)to friends who aren't as adept as finding good quality vinyl as I. Once in a while I turn a high dollar record or two on ebay--usually a dupe sold to defray costs on another purchase. 75% of my ebay feedback is from PURCHASING records, not selling them.

And all of you here really need to understand that the record in question was not all that filthy--it had some dust to be sure and maybe a fingerprint or two. It was "filthy" only in the eyes of artto who has very high standards. It was a typical "180g Audiophile" record that was 2-3 years old and played less than a couple of dozen times total and never once cleaned or brushed. I did not play grade the record and I made this CLEAR to Scott who was offered a full refund if the record was not to his satisfaction.

I stand behind my grading of records 100% and everyone who has ever purchased a record from me has been 100% satisfied. Once in a while I have been asked to take a record back. This has been for a NUMBER of reasons, everything from "buyer's remorse" to the new owner not liking the music! I have taken back VG graded records becuase of noise problems--as most of you know, the quality of playback from a "well used" VINTAGE LP varies DRAMATICALLY from rig to rig. And what might be a tolerable level of noise to one set of ears is unacceptable to another. THAT IS WHY I ALWAYS TAKE BACK ANY RECORD I SELL FOR A FULL REFUND WITH NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Sitting in front of me is a VISUALLY GRADED "VG" Stereo copy of John Coltrane's "Africa/Brass" (Impulse A-6), black label pressing circa 1968-70. A "VG" record has obvious flaws--surface scuffs and hairlines that are generally NOT feelable with your thumbnail, but are evidence of a record being enjoyed quite a bit by previous owners who were NOT anal about thier records, but also not overtly abusive. The Gatefold jacket is VG+ with some corner dings but no ringwear or splits. The record has NOT been cleaned and could use a trip through the RCM or at least a pass with the DECCA brush. I have no idea how this one will play, of course, but MY EXPERIENCE tells me that this one will have some minor surface noise, especially in the quiet passages and at the beginning of each side, but nothing that will get in the way of the music for most seasoned vinyl aficonados.

I bought this record last month at a record swap meet for $6. On ebay I might get $10-$12 on a good day. This one is FREE to the first person who I feel DESERVES a free jazz LP who responds to this post and gives be the best reason WHY I should send them a free Coltrane record. I will decide the winner by tomorrow and send it out in a dedicated LP mailer via USPS Media Mail with delivery confirmation.

----------------

On 9/23/2004 7:06:16 PM Allan Songer wrote:

75% of my ebay feedback is from PURCHASING records, not selling them.

----------------

That explains your high feedback rating.

I'd ask for the freebie but I find Coltrane extremely overrated, so will pass.

----------------

On 9/23/2004 7:12:17 PM paulparrot wrote:

I'd ask for the freebie but I find Coltrane extremely overrated, so will pass.

----------------

I'm sure you have studied the music EXTENSIVELY and have read ALL of the major pieces of crticism concerning John Coltrane, so please let us know how you came to this conclusion. We would all appreciate your insight!

----------------

On 9/23/2004 7:19:40 PM Allan Songer wrote:

I'm sure you have studied the music EXTENSIVELY and have read ALL of the major pieces of crticism concerning John Coltrane, so please let us know how you came to this conclusion. We would all appreciate your insight!

----------------

I disagree with you, my friend, I don't think music should be intellectualized. Nor should someone parrot the views of some jazz critic (although Nat Hentoff is pretty astute). Music either moves you or it doesn't.

I've listened to Coltrane's so-called classics and been thoroughly bored. So for me, Coltrane is not interesting. I have no problem with other people liking him. That's their choice. At the other extreme I don't like heavy metal either, but it takes all kinds in this world.

----------------

On 9/23/2004 7:21:39 PM ShapeShifter wrote:

If there are no further replies, it will die a much needed death. Hopefully, one will not comment to themselves.

----------------

I've never understood people harping on about a thread. Is anybody being forced to read it against his will?

1.) Allan sold me a beautiful SME 3009 tonearm, for about $75-100 less than he could get on eBay. He carefully packed EVERY part and piece of literature, and provided email support in setting it up. I was so happy, I sent him a $30 bottle of Carol Shelton Monga Zin. Great transaction all around.

2.) Paul sent me a couple of vulgar PMs. Ungraded, at that.

Allan, I'd love to receive the LP if no one else claims it! Can you suggest a wine pairing?