Is it wrong to listen like this??

Orange Peel

I tend to listen to music, CD or radio, in 5 channel stereo, not 2 channel with my RF-7's only. Am I weird or wrong to like this??

It just seems more "full" than the RF-7's alone, with 2 channel music the RF-7's seem VERY bright and lacking in the low end. When I switch it to 5 channel stereo, the low end is MUCH better and the sound seems fuller.

What do you think may be wrong? This is why I want to get some DVD Audio disks, 5.1 listening 1.gif

----------------

On 9/17/2004 10:08:00 PM Orange Peel wrote:

I tend to listen to music, CD or radio, in 5 channel stereo, not 2 channel with my RF-7's only. Am I weird or wrong to like this??

----------------

Yep. But to each his own. Then sometimes I get out of the shower, with only a towel wrapped around me, slap some vinyl on, and bop away half naked in my music room to a bit of steamy rock 'n roll...

----------------

It just seems more "full" than the RF-7's alone, with 2 channel music the RF-7's seem VERY bright and lacking in the low end. When I switch it to 5 channel stereo, the low end is MUCH better and the sound seems fuller.

----------------

Wrong! Bad bad bad! Bad man! Go sit in the corner and put on your dunce hat.

Nah, haha jk. This is exactly the case with me too. Your preamp/receiver's stereo mode DSP might be a little bright for the RF7's, so you could try tweaking it a bit until it sounds full, which it can. But in general, like you, I like surround (I actually listen to music in 7.1, with the main L and R louder than the rest) better than just plain stereo. Naturally, it sounds fuller, because it literally is fuller.

I see I'm not the only one.1.gif

My pre-amp has only one DSP mode. McCormack calls it ARM (Ambience Retrieval Mode) and let me say they really got it right, it sounds spectacular when it's adjusted properly. It's 5.1 but I seldom bother to use the sub being the bass capability of the RF-7 is outstanding.

Now I'm spoiled!1.gif

----------------

On 9/17/2004 10:20:11 PM edwinr wrote:

----------------

----------------

Yep. But to each his own. Then sometimes I get out of the shower, with only a towel wrapped around me, slap some vinyl on, and bop away half naked in my music room to a bit of steamy rock 'n roll...

----------------

THANKS FOR NOT POSTING A PIC!!!!!!! 9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif

Thanks for the replies guys!! I was just worried that I was the only one 9.gif

As for the processor it's the Pioneer Elite VSX 53TX, sounds great for movies and 5 channel stereo (would use 7 channel stereo but I only have 5 speakers 9.gif ) But when I switch it to 2 channel stereo it just sounds REALLY bright and NO low end. I think it turns off the sub and just uses the RF-7's. I can mes with it and turn the sub on I am sure, but just wanted to see what others thought. ALL I hear is that the RF-7's are amazing in 2 channel, but it must be with a seperate setup, like a Rotel amp, etc, not just on a receiver.

When we get it all setup in the new house I will mess with it to get the 2 channel working better, if not, 5 channel it will be. It just seems to be abe to be played louder, if it's in 2 channel mode and I crank it up, MAN I start to twitch and blink a lot, it's just SOOO bright/clear. With the 5 channel going it's much more tolerable and easy on the ears 1.gif I think in 2 channel mode it puts out 110w/channel and in 5 channel mode it's 100w/channel, not sure what that exra 10 watts are doing 3.gif

Maybe I need to run the auto calibration in the 2 channel mode, I have the 5.1 setup calibrated, but never did anything with the 2 channel setup, not even sure I can.

Anyways, thanks for the help and support 9.gif If all else fails, DVD Audio is going to be my best friend 3.gif

I would say nothing is "wrong" if it sounds better to you. However, I would say that this is a good sign that your listening room has some acoustical issues. Throw some bass traps in your corners and see if your 2 channel listening doesn't get any better.

----------------

On 9/18/2004 9:19:23 AM radiob wrote:

Alot of respectible people her rave the RF-7s, I would consider upgrading your front end and back end to your rf7s potential. Clearly you are not soundstaging, hearing layers, and the detailed imaging that you should be in 2-channel.

----------------

I am one of those who rave about RF-7s in two-channel performance. My latest modified Jolida tube CD player is finally broken in (200 hours), and the sound with a tube preamp (and Rotel amp) is simply incredible in two-channel. And actually more full than the pseudo-five channel with my SS preamp.

I agree with Radiob on this one. Most pseudo five-seven channel processing simply splits a copy of the two channel signal into the remaining channels. Therefore, it appears as though it is sounding fuller, but it is just because you have more speakers going with the same sound usually coming out of each speakers (all vocals and instruments mixed togther). Actually, great two-channel sounds even more detailed and full in some respects, because the imaging of the RF-7s fills in all the nice audio spots in the room, and you get more discrete processing. At this point, you are probably missing out on soundstaging and details by going the route you are, but so long as you are happy, that's what is important.

A follow up question, Scott. When you are running two channel, which inputs are you using? Digital or coax? This will make a difference in which DAC you are using (your source or your receiver). If you are using digital, that simply means that the processor mode of two channel on your receiver is not well-liked by your RF-7s.

Remind us, what CD or DVD player are you running? If you run analog out from the player, you are using its DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) instead of the receiver's, and there may be room for improvement of your two-channel by first focusing on your source (prior to different receiver/preamp/amps)

Just a thought.

Carl.

Carl - I would liten to 2 channel on a regular CD through my DVD player, which is a Denon DVD 1600. I have it setup through an optical audio cable to the Pioneer Elite VSX 53TX digital input. When I switch the Elite to 2 channel stereo mode, it just get's BRIGHT and I hate the sound it produces, it's kind of "lifeless" if you can understand what I am saying, like it's not setup, just flat everywhere but BRIGHT. Not sure when you say DAC, etc, I am a little undeducated in that area, I have all my audio setup through digital connections, either digital COAX cable or Optical cable.

What could I do to improve the sound?? I am willing to try anything.

Thanks guys!

2 channel should be played in 2 channel and so forth, if you have good mains you should be set maybe a few adjustments in the pre? but it sounds to me like your electronics are lacking somehow, because once you go to 3-4-5-6 channels you are getting matrixed sound, not at all the way it was intended to be played, and you do lose in imaging, soundstage..... i have tried many experiments doing just this, but pure 2 channel sounds, more? yes. just less quality12.gif

I as well prefer to listen to all my speakers play regardless of the source. If you think it does not sound good this way I certainly cannot understand why, I would have it no other way. My NAD is even capable of tremendous 2-channel playback but I do not plan on using it. Nothing like 7 Heritage speakers coming at you from all directions to put you in the performance, not outside of it, and not in the front row either, IN IT! With 2 15" servo subs backing it all up, and the capability of easily reaching SPL levels the in the 130db+ range with clarity and dynamics completely maintained is an experience you just could not create with a 2-channel rig.

Monday my '77 Khorns will be hear for the rear, and they will play all the time along with there brothers as I could not imagine them sitting idle while the other speakers played.

To each his own of course everyone has there own listening preferences and habits. I just can't imagine anyone not liking 4 Khorns, 2 vertical Cornwalls, and a La Scala playing at the same time with your favorite tunes playing? Call me crazy!

I listen in 5 channel stereo as well. My front and back speakers are RF-7s so only the center channel is different being an RC-7 but it blends nicely. I play around with 2 channel vs 5 channel and to me 5 channel sounds better. One day I hope to have a killer 2 channel setup with tube gear in one room and a dedicated theater room in the other. Until then my music will play in 5 channel.

----------------

On 9/18/2004 1:04:12 PM Frzninvt wrote:

To each his own of course everyone has there own listening preferences and habits. I just can't imagine anyone not liking 4 Khorns, 2 vertical Cornwalls, and a La Scala playing at the same time with your favorite tunes playing? Call me crazy!

----------------

Amen! My sentiments exactly with 4 RF7's 2 RF5's, an RC7, and 250 watts of pure, balanced power coursing through each!

----------------

On 9/18/2004 12:20:21 PM Orange Peel wrote:

Carl - I would liten to 2 channel on a regular CD through my DVD player, which is a Denon DVD 1600. I have it setup through an optical audio cable to the Pioneer Elite VSX 53TX digital input.

What could I do to improve the sound?? I am willing to try anything.

Thanks guys!

----------------

Scott, first off, by using only a digital out, you are depending on the digital to audio converter only in your Pioneer. First off, try using the DAC in your Denon instead. Run a pair of decent analog interconnects from your Denon player to your Pioneer receiver, on an input you set for analog. Play in stereo mode. See if there is a difference. There should be. Does your 1600 have a pure direct mode? My 2900 does. If selected, the pure direct mode shuts off the video and the display while playing two-channel music. Greatly improves the two-channel performance of the 2900. Not sure if the 1600 has this feature.

With respect to the remainder of the discussion, I still say that a really nice two-channel setup sounds better than a matrixed pseudo five or seven channel (once you go tubes you are hooked). Sure SACD and DVD-Audio at times sound superior on certain songs (to two-channel) but in that medium you are maintaining discrete sounds, instruments, vocals in all of the speakers.

But, as long as everyone is happy with what they are hearing, doesn't matter much.

Carl.