Khorn Tail Board Seal Assembly Kit - Help!

Frzninvt

I just spent a bunch of time on the phone with Steve Phillips in order to get a part number for the Tail Board Seal Assembly kits for the Khorn. The part number is 050602 but the parts department stock level is -14 and the guy said I had no chance in getting a set of these basically. I want them for the '77 Khorns I just purchased.

I am using some 3/8" or 1/2" closed cell pipe insulation on my other pair of Khorn's but I want the stuff that Klipsch uses/provides with the Khorn's that just slips over the edge of the tail board on both sides. Does anyone have a J.C. Whitney or automotive body shop supply website that sells the identical stuff that Klipsch uses? Anyone have a pair of kits that you aren't planning on using and want to sell?

I did a search on the forum but I found no specific information with a part number or place to purchase the stuff from. Does anyone know where I can get this material that is identical or damn close to the original stuff. Please help!

Since you have some newer Ks,,,can you post a pic of the seals....i bet it is just off the shelf stuff,,,,like vinyl base board stuff,,,,or auto rubber gasket stuff,,,i got some Ks I'm redoing them,,,,not sure what im going to use for seal...be awhile before im done though,,,,let us know what you find out...Rick

Getting the "right size" is the operant issue here and really depends more on your corners than on the Khorns. My house is a 1909 bungalow and frankly "square" really is a relative term. I had to resort to using 1 1/2" pipe insulating foam to get a good seal. They don't build 'em like they used to! ( Thankfully ).

In any event if the tailboard seals sold by Klipsch are not "right sized" for your corners they will not work nearly as well as the foam pipe insulation available at your local hardware. I doubt that the Klipsch seals -- If available -- would offer any real advantage over the inexpensive hardware store foam even if they were a good fit.

Frzninvt,

I can't help with your particular question, but have played around a little with the tail board insulation and could share my take on the results.

Sonically, I don't think you can improve over what you are already doing with the closed cell pipe insulation. Earlier on in the year I decided to replace the stair tread type material that the previous owner had installed. Put the pipe insulation on one Khorn and snugged it into the corner, then decided to listen to see if I could tell the difference. Well, now have not yet finished the project to put the insulation on the second Khorn. Could not discern any difference at all.

If I'm understanding what Mr. Paul thought about this issue, the stair tread type material works just fine and it doesn't seal up like the pipe insulation or the Klipsch OEM material.

Now, in terms of the cool factor, and having the bass bin sealed up like the OEM stuff, that's a worthy motivation in and of itself. However, if you can hear a difference, I'd like to hear about it.

I think I agree with Dee. The OEM part gives a clean look, but it doesn't really give the best seal. The diameter of the rubber running down that strip is pretty thin, and unless your floors and walls are perfectly square -- you're going to get some leakage. I think the pipe insulation is a great solution. Probably don't need to go with something as big as 1 1/2" though.

I still think ,,along with Andy that garage door seal or rubber base board like for kitchens will work better than pipe foam,,,,just staple the door gasket to the flat part and leave the flappy edge stick out about three inches then when you push it against the corner it will seal.I have not tried this idea yet im still looking around,,,,thinking outside the box,,lol,,,and still working on my K-Horns they are comming along by the way,,,,Rick

I placed an order thru J.C. Whitney for some stuff that looks like the original, fits on the same way with no stapling or tacking and looks like it has more rubber on the lip to get a better seal. 13 1/2' for $17.99 plus shipping, I will let you know what I think when I get it. It looks promising and would be a large cost savings over the OEM stuff which would be $66+ for a paif of Khorn's.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the JC Whitney stuff, and it looked promising but the channel that needs to slide over the 7/16" wooden lip of the tailboard was not quite wide enough, the catalog said 1/4" max but I decided to get it anyway. I managed to fit on one piece with some bending and working/tweeking but decided it was too much of a PIA to do the other three pieces. I ended up going to the hardware store and picking up some 1/2" ID pipe insulation that was easy, easy to install but does not look as nice as the OEM stuff. If anyone finds a source for the OEM stuff please let me know. It obviously it not going to be in Klipsch parts' stock for awhile which rots!

I attached another photo showing some Khorns with the OEM tailboard seals installed, this is what I want and I can't believe that it is too much to ask of Klipsch - Geez.

I've yet to seal my khorns but was planning to do so this weekend. I don't care what it looks like so is the consensus here that the pipe insulation works best or garage door seal? My corners are far from perfect so I'll need plenty of slack to play with.

• 3 years later...

I'll comment that the top of the bass horn deserves sealing against the wall too.

When I did my brother in law's SKs I did the top, tailboard, and bottom with split pipe insulation.

He has since returned to the project and improved things. I was on a time budget and corners were more out of square than I imagined. You really can't tell in some situations unless you take off the grills.to inspect.

The main point is that the extent of the problem dictates what you do, and with what.

Gil

Here's a product that looks like the Klipsch OEM tailboard seal material. Product number 1120A45 is what you need at $3.15/ft. with a 10-foot minimum order.

http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=3342

If you aren't familiar with McMaster-Carr, their motto could be, "If we don't have it, you don't need it." The printed catalog is several inches thick but on-line searching and ordering is easier.

Lee

McMaster-Carr rules. Their catalog looks like the L.A. phone book. The online is really easier as Arkytype points out.

There you go...these have fingers that eliminate the need to use screws.

Looks like the stuff that came with my 1985 khorns.