Hampton Hawes on a foggy Sunday morning . . .

Allan Songer

Woke up this morning and found myself out of coffee. DAMN! So I turned on the hi-fi to warm up the tubes and leashed up the pup and walked the 8 blocks to Peet's Coffee on 2nd Street and bought a pound of Major Dickason's Blend and then walked back up the hill. After getting the coffee brewing I pulled out some perfect Sunday Morning with the New York Times LPs--the first being "This is Hampton Hawes, vol. 3" on Contemporary Records:

337.jpg

I sat down with my coffee and listened to the entire first side without even opening my paper. It's been a few months since I pulled this one out and it was like hearing Hampton Hawes again for the first time. This trio with Hawes, Red Mitchell on bass and Chuck Thompson on drums swings as hard as ANY bop trio. There are a couple of Hawes originals here, but it's mostly standards. The level of creativity and interplay here is simply breathtaking.

After side two I poured my third cup of coffee and pulled out another one:

jazzman4133_1812_35735600

This record was recorded about 7 years and a whole lifetime later for Hawes. He had spent the previous six years in prison and was only out because of a pardon from President John F. Kennedy. He was in prison for possession charges and when he got out he was clean and stayed clean the rest of his life. On "The Green Leaves of Summer" Hawes is joined by Monk Montgomery (Wes' brother) and the young Steve Ellington on drums. Hawes was moving away from the frantically swinging bop of his earlier records--his solos are stretched and twisted and amazingly inventive. I just finished side two and I guess I'll go fry some eggs since my wife is hungry (she cooks Mon-Sat but Sundays are generally mine).

Pick up some Hampton Hawes--you'll thank me!

OH!--one other thing-- Hawes wrote one of the best jazz autobiographies (right up there with Art Pepper's) and it's still in print. It's titled 'Raise Up Off Me' and it's

a VERY powerful book!

4738278.gif

Yeah, there's nothin' like a cup of Peets is there? I once lived 1/2 block from the original Peet's in Berkeley, CA. On warm fall mornings with the wndows open I would wake to the smell of beans roasting. I'm sure it was polluting the skies something fierce, but DAMN! if if didn't smell great.

Allan, you got me thinking. Over a year ago I copied several of your recommendations down and kept the list handy for months. I was able to pick-up ever title except one. "For Real" by Hampton Hawes. Thanks for the reminder and the interesting story as well.

----------------

On 9/26/2004 5:00:51 PM nicholtl wrote:

Doesn't coffee stain your teeth and make you have to go to the bathroom like an excited 10 year old?

----------------

Yeah, but there are some bad things about it, too...

Aren't Sundays the best? I get my Peet's fix from a coffee stand/bar that's located inside the convenience store at a Shell gas station about 2 miles from my house. I pass 3 Starbucks on the way. My son gets up pretty early for a 10yo (about 6:00am) and we drive over there to get coffee for my wife and I and a Soy Coco for him. On the way home we pick up bagels at a local bakery. The music on Sunday mornings is strictly classical. My son is convinced it "helps his brain". This Sunday it was Holst: The Planets, Britten: Four Sea Interludes - Bernstein follwed by the NPR radio show "From The Top". I like this kind of Sunday better than golf. Boy, am I getting hokey! At about 9:00 I head out for a couple hours of tennis. I don't deserve a life this good.

Its a bit corny but in our house the usual Sunday fare starts out with Lionel Ritchie / Commodores - Easy (like Sunday morning) in the background whilst we peruse the Sunday papers. That song justs sets off the perfect Sunday for us.

On the subject of Sunday papers - can anyone really read one - in less than a week. SWMBO insists on getting 3 papers - which needs a horse and dray to bring them in. Then we spend 10 minutes sifting out the advertizing materials - removing the free Cd's, DVD's (The Deerhunter this week - wow!) and god only knows what else before we can settle down to read.

Just in time for SWMBO junior to spring to life and want attention - so I never get to read any of the papers anyway.

My Sunday morning started with some Hampton Hawes too, on the new three cd set called "Bopland" (nominally under Dexter Gordon's name) that reissues for the umpteenth time the material that has been out on Bop! and then Savoy Records ("Jazz Concert West Coast" in three volumes).

I moved from there into a string of Barney Wilen cds. .. .

----------------

On 9/27/2004 12:36:16 PM Allan Songer wrote:

But now it's Monday and I'm scrambling to put together a bunch of "modern" looking floral arrangements for some show called "Strong Medicine" that I have never even seen. Wish it were yesterday already . . .

----------------

Grretings:

Different genre:

Ah, But I was so much older then, I'm Younger than that now... Dylan

Your comment about wishing it were yesterday brought that to mind.

My Sunday began with a bowl of Trix while listening to Mose Allison:

"I live the life I love and I love the life I live......"

Excellent Post

dodger

My Sunday started out with the Washington Post (almost as liberal as the NY Times2.gif), a cup of yogurt, a mountain dew and "Autumn Leaves"/"Love For Sale" from side one of Miles Davis/Cannonball Adderly's "Something Else." Nice and easy to start the day. Duke Pearson's "Tender Feelings" is another great Sunday morning lp.

I gave up coffee about 2 years ago because I have a bonded front tooth. Coffee gives me a nice brown line across the tooth after about 2 cups which I can't get out until my next cleaning. I miss my morning coffee REALLY, REALLY bad and cheat on occasion. While mountain dew gives me that caffiene boost, it just ain't the same.

I wish I could quit drinking coffee. Maybe it's the drug addict jazzer in me, but if I don't get my 20 oz. by about 11:00, we's gots problems.

On topic, I spent my Sunday morning recovering from a late gig at a biker clubhouse, tring to untwist myself from sleeping on a dang loveseat, and golfing my hangover away in a tournament. Not a bad day, though.

I saw a stupid tv show last night (Wife Swap) in which two adults of one family had switched to drinking coffee through straws because they religiously bleached their teeth and their theory was that their teeth stayed much brighter this way between bleachings because the coffee went past their teeth. . . .

Could it really work!?

Yes, it's definitely Monday. I'm in the middle of a huge Excel spreadsheet with expenditures. . . and with some Lester Young at the Savoy going to help (or hinder as the case may be).

----------------

On 9/27/2004 1:59:16 PM Lon Armstrong wrote:

I saw a stupid tv show last night (Wife Swap) in which two adults of one family had switched to drinking coffee through straws because they religiously bleached their teeth and their theory was that their teeth stayed much brighter this way between bleachings because the coffee went past their teeth. . . .

Could it really work!?

----------------

Only if they suck it through their ears...

which sounds like it would be easy for them...

DM2.gif