Klipsch forum members face extinction

Tom Adams

That's right folks, we may no longer be needed. 8.gif

Our little community of tweekers and geekers will soon be over-run by a well organized and well funded group of folks that intend to blitzkrieg through us like crap through a goose. And to make matters worse, our freebie advice/help will give way to folks having to pay for what we gladly give away on a daily basis. I direct your attention to the latest corporate greed monster that's been created by none other than Best Buy....

THE GEEK SQUAD!

Yes ladies & gentleman. A group of talented individuals that have been focused trained to be the geekiest of the geeks. Their sole purpose in life to help the A/V challenged masses of the world and charge them an arm & a leg. I truly believe these almost zombie-like geeks will roll into various cities and towns JUST LIKE YOU LIVE IN and will mindlessly take over control of HT setups and ridding folks of chroma bugs. And it sadens my heart to tell you that I'm afraid that we here may have been infected - at the very least, we've been duped and have help spawn one of these "Geeks". I hate to turn him out, but Kenratboy....you've been outted! I say it's time we take a stand against this onslaught of controlled geekness.

It is in vain, folks, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace-- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from Best Buy will bring to our ears the clash of the Geek Squads tools! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of Monster Cable and extended warranties? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Klipsch or give me death!

Tom

Lol. I'm certainly hoping that was in a joking frame of mind. First of all--Geek Squad Agents really don't know squat about audio (most of them), they work on PC's, that is what they do. Second of all--their services are those which forum members can not provide, they SET UP the system, they don't make the recommendations, or are at least NOT supposed to. Best Buy does not want to affiliate itself with Geek Squad anymore than a "subsidiary". They want people to think of it like a "partnership".

There are a lot of people that don't like Best Buy, vice versa regarding the Geek Squad. They charge a lot of money sure--but their service is indeed good and they do indeed know what they are doing. Thats worth a price premium to most folks.

I've attended the meetings and trainings and sell this stuff. It is folly to think that a PC technician with good personal skills will render a forum of audio gurus obsolete. Why do you think I come here for my questions? 3.gif

I was going by what I heard on Fox News this morning and their interview with Best Buy CEO Brad Anderson. I guess I could've misunderstood what Anderson said or was asked, but it sure sounded like they werre gonna do more than PC trouble shooting. For instance, the lady doing the interview asked Anderson what the typical charge would be to have a VCR or DVD problem fixed. His response was that he wasn't sure since fees were different based on regions/locations.

That sure sounds like A/V to me.

I'm assuming you know that Best Buy bought that company.

Tom

oh yeah we do, it is just an amplified version of the sales floor " well let me see???? to make it sound better you need to buy this, and possibly that. bose of course, most bang for the buck" ive been to best buy, but no more, htier sales staff are incoherent, mindless wannabees, who are mainly driven by sales, i have stood by listening as they sold crap without consience, but you know what? the consumer will eat it up, anything that is easiest cheapest smallest loudest is the best right? yeah baby12.gif plus best buy hides behind a few sales, when anything worth a second look always costs more than circuit city, or soundtrack, damn best buy sucks

Tom.

Tom, Tom, Tom.

Your choice of terminology and species identification is hopeless.

We ARE the geeks. WE are the dweebs. WE are the boffins. We are the amatures of audio. The Sultans of Sound. The Jedi Knights of sincere audio. Our ranks are legend.

There is nothing wrong with the audio. Do not attempt to adjust the market. We control the tweeter. We control the woofer. We can soften the soundstage to a blur . . . or sharpen it to crystal clarity.

Nothing has changed in the past. Nothing will change in the future. Salemen living on commission will sell their goods to the uneducated . . . sometimes without knowledge . . . and sometimes with shame.

Only the little yellow BS button is eternal. It is the talisman of true scepticism. The grail of belief.

Gil

----------------

On 10/21/2004 9:45:32 AM Tom Adams wrote:

I was going by what I heard on Fox News this morning and their interview with Best Buy CEO Brad Anderson. I guess I could've misunderstood what Anderson said or was asked, but it sure sounded like they werre gonna do more than PC trouble shooting. For instance, the lady doing the interview asked Anderson what the typical charge would be to have a VCR or DVD problem fixed. His response was that he wasn't sure since fees were different based on regions/locations.

Tom

----------------

You misunderstood. Those types of "problems" would be like if someone hooked up their VCR incorrectly or if they reversed the polarity on their speakers--they most certainly don't go and "fix" VCR's or DVD players on site. As previously mentioned, they also set up home theater equipment.

Yes--they were purchased several years ago. I work at Best Buy, I've attended the trainings for Geek Squad by "Geek Squad Agents", read the literature, took the tests, see what they charge, and what they will do. I didn't want to say where I worked as everyone here hates Best Buy employees. . .rightfully so in most cases I'm afraid.

----------------

On 10/21/2004 8:18:21 AM Tom Adams wrote:

That's right folks, we may no longer be needed.
8.gif

Our little community of tweekers and geekers will soon be over-run by a well organized and well funded group of folks that intend to blitzkrieg through us like crap through a goose. And to make matters worse, our freebie advice/help will give way to folks having to pay for what we gladly give away on a daily basis. I direct your attention to the latest corporate greed monster that's been created by none other than Best Buy....

THE GEEK SQUAD!

Yes ladies & gentleman. A group of talented individuals that have been focused trained to be the geekiest of the geeks. Their sole purpose in life to help the A/V challenged masses of the world and charge them an arm & a leg. I truly believe these almost zombie-like geeks will roll into various cities and towns JUST LIKE YOU LIVE IN and will mindlessly take over control of HT setups and ridding folks of chroma bugs. And it sadens my heart to tell you that I'm afraid that we here may have been infected - at the very least, we've been duped and have help spawn one of these "Geeks". I hate to turn him out, but Kenratboy....you've been outted! I say it's time we take a stand against this onslaught of controlled geekness.

It is in vain, folks, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace-- but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from Best Buy will bring to our ears the clash of the Geek Squad’s tools! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of Monster Cable and extended warranties? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Klipsch or give me death!

Tom

----------------

Paranoia will destroy ya'.

So THAT'S who those guys driving the black and white VW bugs with the orange logo on it are. I see them everywhere in LA, and until now I always thought it was the same guy I was seeing everywhere! I just figured only a true geek would paint his car like that! How wrong I was.

Don't fear the Geeker,the rep said if you call and your vcr/dvd player is broke they will come and fix your $100 player for about $120.As to their hifi expertise I think there is even less to fear.I was at BB the other day and the guy in the A/V depatment ask me what the sacd symbol was.

----------------

On 10/21/2004 9:26:33 PM BCompDude wrote:

----------------

On 10/21/2004 9:45:32 AM Tom Adams wrote:

Tom

----------------

You misunderstood. Those types of "problems" would be like if someone hooked up their VCR incorrectly or if they reversed the polarity on their speakers--they most certainly don't go and "fix" VCR's or DVD players on site. As previously mentioned, they also set up home theater equipment.

Yes--they were purchased several years ago. I work at Best Buy, I've attended the trainings for Geek Squad by "Geek Squad Agents", read the literature, took the tests, see what they charge, and what they will do. I didn't want to say where I worked as everyone here hates Best Buy employees. . .rightfully so in most cases I'm afraid.

----------------

Im right there with ya on that one BComp. Most of the time I would agree with people on the fact that most BB employees don't know what they are talking about, but there are a few of us that actually care about our job enough to research the facts. Thats what I go to these boards for. To find fact from fiction. I love this stuff and right now this job is the best place for me to do what I love, to teach people about the new tech. and help them decide whats best for them.

If you take "the masses are a$$es" approach, there will be a problem.

The true audiophile has researched, looked at literature, listened to many pieces of equipment and has given thought as to where the dollars are going.

The true Audiophile enjoys dealing with a knowledgable dealer. If there is something that the Audiophile does not know, a trusted, knowledgable dealer will answer questions. Also, a true Audiophile doesn't mind helping a poorly trained sales person. Not all are poorly trained.

There are many Custom Installers that sell, or are under contract to those that sell quality  merchandise.

A person cannot have something not wanted pushed down their throat. Nor will they spend $120.00 to repair a $100.00 unit. Even the least informed want to move up. After a year or so, the features on a $200.00 unit will for the most part be found on the $100.00 unit.

At least for the vast majority of Forum Members, the Geek Squad will wind up fearing us before they oversell. Most of us do take the time to read an owner's manual. We can troubleshoot to find a problematic component. Then find a reputable repair place or sell as-is and buy a newer model.

Consumers learned about extended warranties, they will learn about the Geek Squad. If the Geek Squad is only about profit, that will become apparent. If the Squad is a help to some, without overcharging or making recommendations beyond the customers needs, wants and budget, that will become word of mouth.

This is all based upon what market share Best Buy and the Geek Squad may obtain.

dodger

Well said Indyjeep.

I must back down from my generalizations about salesmen.

To quote Ann Landers, "All generalizations are false . . . including this one." Smile. She might have stolen the quote from Abby.

Some salespeople are matched to the task which the customer comes in for help on. Other times, the sales person is well over their head, the customer is too, and there is a real tragedy.

I have seen instances where the sales people in a given industry (not retail) sell more than the customer needs. It is tough to say whether it is sheer ignorance on the part of the salesman or a quota. And there are some pure screw ups which are unjustly blamed on the customer.

Again we should keep in mind that at least some of the salespeople in technical areas (BB, CC, and the superstores) are knowledgable and honest. But the bad apples are something we cringe at.

Best,

Gil

I wont' even read everyones reply before I answer to the main one..BS..10.gif

That will never happen here, this forum is a gathering of individual feelings and thoughts, NO matter how different we ALL are, hell, thats why we ALL own KLIPSCH....10.gif

time for the GEEK SQUAD at the STAKE...medium rare...chewwyyy...9.gif

Just to add...previously mentioned, who shops at Best Buy...I DO...DVD Audio Disks, SACD Audio disks, and finally Concert DVD's, prefer DTS rather than Dolby, my preference....LP's(vynil) is different.....10.gif

a "true" salesman will work you, make you feel comfortable and confident and WIN you.....10.gif