Tubes for Jolida JD100A

arthurs

Off topic, but I did start this thread five years ago...thought you guys might get a laugh out of this...I forgot I ever owned a Jolida player until I saw this thread again today, and even then it took me a few minutes to recollect, I was worried someone had posted under my name until I saw the date......I can't remember what tubes I ended up with....but did get a kick out of how far my brain has declined, okay maybe it was depressing......[:$]

• 1 year later...

can't wait to upgrade mine and hear the difference.

I don't mean to make it sound like it is a bad player as stock.....not at all. I just expected way more for the money....and bigger differences in performance from the less expensive players.

I am realizing the same thing. I still have the stock tubes...........wondering which tubes to try next. Rock music gets played mostly.....with RF-7's.[*-)]

• 4 months later...

Here is another Bump to bring back this thread from the dead... well, almost 5 years old.

Next week I will be taking delivery of a 2 year old JD-100A with the Underwood Mini-mod and would like to drop

in a new pair of tubes... kind of like changing all the fluids in a newly bought used car.

The 5751 seems like an interesting option as I already have a little bit of noise/hiss in my system when the

JD-300B is at idle.

Maybe I should even consider using the 5751 in my amp as well (2: 12AX7s, 2: 12AT7s, 2: 300Bs, and 2: 5U4Gs) ?

Where and What do you guys recommend?

In the past I have dealt with Brendan at Tube World and Jon at The Tube Store, I have also heard a lot of great things about

Doug at Vintage Tube Service.

7025 can be used, and still has a amplification factor of 100. Mullard CV4004 was used in Cal Labs DAC's, IIRC.

The Jolida probably uses the tubes for buffering after the DAC, to more or less to "soften" the digital nasties... It's more less a flavor subjectivity thing. The tubes that come with the Jolida you are getting may be fine with regard to noise. Now if you like the overall tonal balance the tubes give to the CD player, that will be up to you.

Hey guys, thanks for chiming in.

I sent an email of to a few tube suppliers and got quite a few different suggestions. [*-)]

I also emailed Chris Johnson of
PARTS CONNEXION
about tubes and the possibility

of him bringing the JD-100 up to his Level 1.

He said:

"
I like the Tung-sol ECC803S gold pin....$65/Matched Pair."

and

"The upgrade from Mini-Mod up to Level1 would be $350 usd." [^o)]

I think what I will do is just drop in a pair of current production 12AX7s in, maybe the ones Chris suggested,

and do some listening and try to compare this sound with the Svetlana 12AX7's that it the CDP will be coming with.

Maybe then, I will have a little better background reference to guide me when I ask "what tube?"

Meanwhile, UPS says there will be a Brown Truck showing up sometime on Wednesday. [:D]

just food for thought for future reference...

As far as the "gold pins" go Yes gold is the best conductor and won't oxidize....but that only holds true if your going Gold to gold in the connection....If the tube sockets aren't gold plated connectors than it really is a waste of money......

IMUTAO In My Utilitarian thrifty a$$ opinion [;)]

I'm guessing that the player may be a little more sensitive to tubes after the mods. In other words you MAY hear more of a difference in tubes after the mods.

However, my player is stock and changing tubes has been subtle. I've rolled a few sets through it and found what I prefer. Given that all the tubes you roll through it are "good"......I don't think you are going to notice too much of a difference. You will hear some differences but subtle.

So I would NOT consider the expensive NOS tubes for a Jolida JD-100. I've learned my lesson there. Just not worth it to me.