Rc-7 small or large

GOLDDOWN

If Small is better (80Hz), then set it to "Tiny" (120Hz), or how about "Miniature" (150Hz). Some people just don't get it. What a waste of a speaker bandwidth. I just have a hard with folks buying a speaker like the RF-7/RC-7 and setting the things to Small! For crying out loud!

Set it to whatever sounds best to YOU, everyone's system and hearing are different.

----------------

On 11/8/2004 1:31:02 PM Frzninvt wrote:

If small is better (80Hz), then set it to "TINY" 120Hz and up. Some people just don't get it. What a waste of a speaker.

----------------

Using the RC to produce the 80Hz to 22,000 Hz is a waste? Whatever.

Specifications

FREQUENCY RESPONSE:

45Hz-20kHz ±3dB

SENSITIVITY:

98dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter

POWER HANDLING:

200 watts maximum continuous (800 watts peak)

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE:

8 ohms

ENCLOSURE TYPE:

Bass reflex via dual rear-mounted ports

DRIVE COMPONENTS:

Tapered Array system using one 1.75" (4.45cm) magnetically shielded, titanium dome compression driver tweeter with a 8" (20.32cm) square 90°x60° Tractrix® Horn and two 8" (20.32cm) magnetica

It will handle it..

Add a sub for the oooomph in movies.

The RC 7 will do great!! SO LARGE!!

Using the RC to produce the 80Hz to 22,000 Hz is a waste? Whatever.

You are wasting two octaves of bass response here! Why not use them? Unless the system does not have the cojones to drive it to potential. Unless you have like 3 subwoofers and it would just be overkill!

First, the poster does not have a sub, so the question doesn't even apply. Unless setting to small redirects low frequencies to R+L large? In either case, set to large since you don't have a sub.

Secondly, with a receiver that does bass management adequately (multiple frequencies & diffrent for each pair), you can set the RC-7 to small but set the frequency to 40 Hz (if you have a sub).

your 7 is a large speaker meant to be played in large, if you set it to small the bass intended to be heard fron that channel will be sent elsewhere and it changes the soundstagesmall is for small speakers, large for large, and if you have to have your remote in your hand during movies it sounds like you need to use an spl meter, usually it is the center that is lagging causing the volume to be turned up, and if this is the case with the 7, you are not balanced.

Interesting question...and lots of opinions so far...

With no sub...then the bass management sends the LFE signals to the MAINS...as long as they are set to LARGE.....and they act as a SUB...

As for setting the RC-7 to Large or not....is mostly a personal preference....

If I were you I would watch a particular scene you liek with all sorts of sounds...and try it both ways...and listen....see which you like better....

Room setup, dimensions, wall treatments, furniture type and placement will have a large effect on the sound....so experiment and have fun....

I actually set all my speakers to small and let my PB12-Ultra/2 handle the below 80hz material, which it kills the RF-7's at, so that's why I do it. I used to run things in the LARGE setting, and it seemed to lack in the bass area, then I switched them to SMALL and things were SO much better. I say try both and see what you like the best. I may try it in LARGE again, I'm in a different house now, and things may sound better here 9.gif

----------------

On 11/9/2004 4:30:01 PM dcmo wrote:

I don't quite get it. If the RC-7 is rated down to 45 hz and is set to large, what happens when the sound drops down to 20 hz or below? Wouldn't this be bad for the speaker, the driver or whatever?

----------------

The response of the speaker rolls off more quickly below the rated 45hz. The speaker will still put out some sound, however at a reduced output level.