------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

McIntosh C33

Rotel RB-1080

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD (but seeking a McIntosh MVP831!)

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300 mk II

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Monster Power HTS-5000

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

they're bigger than my storage shed too Biggrin.gif

what are those speakers in the pic?

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

boa

as far as I know the speakers are B&W Nautilus 801.

I listened to them once in an all Krell chain and was not impressed. Supposedly those speakers are used for many recordings of classical music and at Abbey Road studios in London. Be that as it may, I was not at all impressed and definitely prefer my Khorns:biggrin

Wolfram

Now those are some ultimate amps - loved the review.

B&W are some of the best selling speakers in the retail audio salon world. They are good sounding and quite sharp looking with tweeter bullets and colored speaker cones. Check out thier horn model at:

http://www.bwspeakers.com/

The top of the line models are often coupled with concrete blocks of Krell amps that can muscle the wild impedance curves of the B&W. Yet, the solid-as-marble B&W 802s give low bass notes a substantially full ttwwaanngg. Although slower on the attack, the curvaceous speakers empathize the three-dimensional shape of bass notes so well that they make audiophiles drool.

The solid slate pool table is a crucial component in this stereo set-up. It divides the images into a top and bottom halfs - like placing a sound divider between the right and left channels so that the ear can reconstruct the sounds into a three-dimensional whole. NOT!

Smile.gif

------------------

big old Cornwalls, 2A3 tube amps, Dynaco tube pre-amp, Rotel CD player, KSW200 & LF10 subs

I listened to some classical guitar with those same speakers fed by a Krell setup. Very nice speakers, closed my eyes and the guy was playing right in front of mecwm30.gif ! And talk about cabnet workcwm11.gif these babies look good. Bang for the buck however, they are not Klipsch.

Interesting note: my dealor has these set up by themselves so you cant A-B compare them. Also removed the KLF-30's from the RF-7's, really want to hear that comparison!

I've never really liked McIntosh Amps. They always had a 1968ish electronics nerd aura abou them. Perhaps it is the fact that they like to use technology that is tried and true..placing them about twenty years behind the times.

As for the B&W 801s speakers...

Yeah, I'd love to get a hold of these babies. But they do have a few drawbacks (besides costing a lot of dough).

They need oodles and oodles of clean, clear power (unlike the K-horn that can sound great with only a few watts).

They also have this nasty tendency of pointing out exactly which recordings in your collection suck. Unless you're 100 percent certain that your favorite recordings were recorded by the best sound engineers in the buisness, and that those recordings were put onto media using the absolut best techniques available today, don't buy these speakers. These speakers will point out which voilinist in a group is not holding the bow correctly.

They are great speakers. They can be incredibly musical. They can show you just how bad your favorite recordings actaully are.

Finally. Yes B&W are the "other" horn loaded speakers, but in quite a different way. More & more of their drivers are using the Nautilus Tube design mounted behind the driver in what some say is a "horn". I don't understand the physics well enough to talk about it, so perhaps someone else will want to dive into this.

FWIW the "What a maroon!" quote is derived from a college football team that was absolutley terrible. Kinda like when Bill Cosby describes playing for Temple. The team was in the area of 0 and 60 and their jerseys were.......you guessed it..maroon. I'm not sure of which college or the time period but that's what it's from.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

McIntosh C33

Rotel RB-1080

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Ortofon VMS-30 mkII Cartridge

Stanton 999SS Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD (but seeking a McIntosh MVP831!)

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 400mk II

Monster Interlink 300 mk II

Studio Tech U-48RW Cabinet

Monster Power HTS-5000

Original 12ga. Monster Cable

Enough empty boxes for a fire hazard!

quote:

Originally posted by Klipschguy:

If I recall correctly, the "What a Maroon." insult is one of those classic lines frequently uttered by that Oscar winning rabbit - Bugs Bunny.

KG

Your memory is correct, KG, or we're both hallucinating. I sometimes mutter that phrase today, then realize most of the people around me don't have a clue what I'm talking about Smile.gif

DD

You aint seen nothin yet!! If you want to get to the ultimates, go to http://www.madrigal.com/MLHP5.htm I've heard a fair amount of the Mark Levinson amps and oh my god!! The draw back is power requirements and size, read the specs on the #33 amps weight is over 400 pounds per channel! I know of one guy in western Olathe who has them and ended up getting local power company to wire a seperate leg from the pole to his house! The current produced and consumed at full power is goofy high. True reference quality,but at what cost?

To me it's total overkill, but if ya got the bucks........

Ah, regrettably, wouldn't work for us in CA. We've got this power crisis thing going on. I guess in the name of public sacrifice and to do my part towards the energy conservation effort, I'll just have to keep my Klipsch's........such a pity. And I was really looking forward to shelling out bazillions for that 'true reference quality' experience.

Hey, maybe if I get some granite spikes like dude has on his pool table for my K-Horns........

------------------

Ed

Fronts: 1960's era Klipschorns (slightly modified)

Center: 1984 Klipsch Belle

Sub: Klipsch KSW200

Surrounds: Tannoy PSM6.5's

Receiver: Denon AVR1701

Video: InFocus LP350 DLP front projector

Satellite: DishNetwork 4722 (DD5.1)

DVD: Panasonic A320

S-VHS: Panasonic PV-S7670

LaserDisc: Pioneer CDL-406

CD: Kenwood CD-404 5-Disc Changer

EQ (for CD player only): Furman E151X2

Protection: Furman AV1215 Power Condition/Voltage Reg

down here in south louisiana there's L.S.U. (Gooo TIGERS!!Smile.gif ) their colors are purple and gold. i installed a surr.sound sys in a game room that IS PURPLE!! the customers ph# has 1-lsu in it! one man's trash/anothers treasure!

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

sony strda-777ES receiver

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

surrounds and a 'teens sub coming!

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!