Plasma vs. Projection

gcoker

I am beginning to think about a new display for my home theater.

My theater is in my living room and as average lighting. I will

be limited on size to approx. 59" wide and 39" high in my existing

entertainment center. Like most living room it has windows and

I would like to watch it during the days. So here is my question,

in this environment what would produce the best picture

Plasma, DLP projection or LCD projection. Taking into account

price, is plasmas that much better then DLP's and LCD's.

You opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

I probably would stay away from projection then, not really that large of a viewing screen, plus the ambient light may cause the picture to seem dull. I would stick to a plasma, etc. If you use the projector a lot, the bulb life will suffer too (replacement bulbs aren't cheap), most people have 2 viewing options if they have a projector, they have a regular set for daytime watching and the projector for night/movie viewing. You could setup a projector and have the screen just drop down in front of the entertainment center for movie watching, could allow a MUCH larger screen too! 9.gif. Get a screen that will allow the sound to pass through it so you don't have to move the speakers around, etc.

I really like CRT sets, there are nice LCD and DLP sets too, it's all up to you though, it's your money and your eyes that make it worth it or not. Definitely take your time and weigh the cost to performance ratios out there!

I just reread your post, not sure if you are referring to rear projetion or front projection, I was referring to front projection 1.gif

For rear projection I use a Mitsubishi WS-65869 and it works great for any time viewing, day or night, some light will cause a reflection on the screen/cover, but not that bad.

Thanks for your comment Orange Peel, yes Im looking at rear projection.

Front projection is out in this room. I would definitely look at

front projection if I had a dedicated HT room. In terms of size

the 59" and 39" is the inside dimensions of my entertainment center.

Looking at some displays 55" DLP's and LCD's will work provided the

speakers don't extend to far out. The main reason I am looking at

these is for widescreen. Most of my wife and I viewing is movies and

while I love the Sony CRT is do not like the way it handles HD

signals. While the PQ is awesome it takes a typical 1.78:1 signal

and displays it in appox. 2.40:1 size. Plus watching LOTR trilogy

in 50" widescreen is an enticing.

p.s. I also would like having a 40" in the bedroom. (I wish it was two)10.gif

When I looked into this 2+ years ago, I quickly opted out of Plasma since it lost brightness after several years. Have they fixed that problem??? If not, that is a lot more expensive than replacing a projector bulb.

I like CRT's too. Biggest plus is you do not have to be streight on to enjoy the picture. I would pick DLP over LCD IMO. I find LCDs to be a little slow for fast action scenes, especailly the bigger the picture.

Too bad you can not do front projection in your room. That gives a lot of cool options.

JM

i install custom a/v hardware in museums across the country. in the past 2 years i have seen every type of tvs and digital displays you can imagine. for the price, rear or front projection cannot be beaten. plasma is simply a waste of money, and suffers from horrible burn-in.

at current prices i would reccomend one of the latest samsung rear-projection DLP sets. for the price, they simply cannot be beaten. and the picture is absolutely superb. we had a 63" in the office for a coupple of months, and it simply rocked.. just make sure you get a chance to watch one for a little while before you buy, some people see rainbow flashes of light on DLP sets.

I sell tv's for a living so here is the jist. A plasma will be far better in a bright room than any other display. A dlp will save you some money and have a much longer life but it will have some glare and washout problems in a bright room. I would stay away from the lcd proj. they don't do anything better than a dlp does and they last about half as long. With either an lcd or dlp the most common problem is the bulb burning out, about $300.00 at least. hope this helps.

----------------

On 11/23/2004 5:51:43 PM Orange Peel wrote:

You're welcome. Is the reason you are staying with Sony because of the size/demensions? Have you looked at Mitsubishi or Pioneer Elite CRT's? My set handles HD nicely, not sure why the Sony would change the ratio like that.

Is your entertainment center adjustable or is it a fixed one?

----------------

No I'm not set on saying with Sony on the next one and the entertainment

center is not adjustable. In terms of DLP's and LCD's I have heard good

thnigs about Samsung.

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/televisions/details.asp?id=38

We just bought this and are very happy with it. The DLP chip equipped sets are excellent projection TVs IMO. The detail can crispness of the imagery is exceptional. High-end plasma sets present a fantastic picture but burn in and life span do make them a very costly option. I have not seen any LCD projection or LCoS sets that were able to woo me away from the DLP sets. So if you were asking for a recommendation based on my experience I would definitely say DLP TV is the best option at present. Now Ill add my caveat actually plagiarized from Griff As always YMMV

I was in a similar predicament about 6 months ago. I did more than my fair share of research, and learned that Plasma's are the future, but they still pocess too many bugs or quirks. Price, Durability and Blacks (as in the color Black) are their weeknesses. On another note, a friend of mine that went to the Vegas Electronic's show said big things for Plasma will be happening within a year (as in spring 2005). The biggest news is that a significant price drop will be happening as technology bumps Plasma to the next level.

What "ihyde" mentioned about projection TV's and glare is 100% accurate. I know, I have a Sony 60" xbr rear projection. And the glare is a definite concern.

Anyway, after reading, reading and more reading, the best thing for picture quality and Bang for the buck is still a tried and true big old CRT. That's why I bought a Sony KV40XBR. The HDTV is awsome, and it offers a DVI input.Even with local channels on rabbit ears the picture is spectacular. But at 320lbs it's a heavy mother, which is why it's now discontinued...sony could'nt sell enough of them. BUT there are still some out there. I purchased mine for $1800 and it came with the stand. They retailed for over $3000 when they first appeared.

My rear projection is a good TV, very good, but it doesn't hold up against the KV40.

From weeks, no months of research, the best review site I've ever found is....http://www.hometheaterhifi.com

Good luck with what ever set you decide on. And don't forget to haggle.

Plasma over Rear Projection, wow, thats easy, must have seen some truly crappy Plasmas... 10.gif

As for a "projector" NOT rear panel tv, DLP is way better IMO, as for "Protection TV's"...pass...owned a 53" before, NEVER again, unless a projector and screen, hockey and NASCAR really suck 10.gif

CRT is obsolete and overpriced, and overweight... 6.gif

Some people have different opinions over Plasma vs LCD, I have read Plasma is better for late night(dark)viewing, where as LCD(panel)is better for daytime viewing, you be the Judge and Jury 10.gif

----------------

On 11/26/2004 11:32:23 PM boomer9911 wrote:

Plasma over Rear Projection, wow, thats easy, must have seen some truly crappy Plasmas...
10.gif

As for a "projector" NOT rear panel tv, DLP is way better IMO, as for "Protection TV's"...pass...
10.gif

CRT is obsolete and overpriced, and overweight...
6.gif

----------------

WOW!!! TV without protection???

it's like it needs a disclaimer......

jay

I just spent a few months searching for a big screen and I opted for CRT rear projection - this years hitachi was, in my opinion, the best picture out there (over every format) - they even brought the size down a bit. They are years beyond Sony (who seems to have given up on CRT's) - besides that, sony never did make a decent CRT - they actually borrowed guns from other manufacturers. Plasma, IMO, was horrible across the board

----------------

On 11/27/2004 2:37:17 AM Black7 wrote:

I just spent a few months searching for a big screen and I opted for CRT rear projection - this years hitachi was, in my opinion, the best picture out there (over every format) - they even brought the size down a bit. They are years beyond Sony (who seems to have given up on CRT's) - besides that, sony never did make a decent CRT - they actually borrowed guns from other manufacturers. Plasma, IMO, was horrible across the board

----------------

Not sure exactly which Plasma models you looked at, but I would stack certain brands/models of plasmas up against your CRT rear. Not all certainly, but there are a few manufacturers that have it down correctly already.

GCoker, yes, plasma has some catching up to do, and we should see some remarkable breakthroughs in the next couple of years. In the meantime, if you are still considering plasma, look at Panasonic and Pioneer Elite. Both still have the best black reproduction and sharpest color representations. My family loves our Panasonic plasma and would not trade it for anything. The prices are still pretty steep, however.

Carl.