Amp for the RF-7 series?

HandofErebus

----------------

On 12/6/2004 5:06:31 PM tmilam wrote:

I have a Denon 3805 receiver running my RF 7 setup, but would like to add an outboard amp to power them as well and have been considering a pro audio source i.e.--Crown XLS 402 as I have heard raves about them on the avsforum. Great power for the price, but I was unaware if anyone had attempted such a setup or had any opinions?

----------------

the RF-7 as well as other klipsch speakers is rated at a "nominal" 8 ohms.... but the actual impedance plot does vary considerably....

with an outboard amplifier like the crown you suggested you will have a much better bass response and overall a better sound because the amp can handle the lower impedances that are present in certain frequencies in the RF-7....

the crown XLS series is an excellent value... you might want to also consider the QSC line of amplifiers....

for the best pro amplifier choice (IMHO) check out the carver professional ZR series of amps... they are powered by a tripath digital chip and have many of the benefits of tube amplification with the bottom end of your better solid state designs.....

http://www.carverpro.com/2003/products/zramps.html

i use a carver pro ZR1000 digital amp with my KLF-30's and it produces a great sound..... 225 watts per channel so i never run out of headroom on the more demanding soundtracks and SACD multichannel discs with a sound that is almost tube-like in it's warmth....

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're interested in 2-channel as opposed to multichannel, you can get excellent separates at around 1k.

I paid $325 for my B&K amplifier, $450 for my Aragon 28k preamp, and $250 for my MSB Link III DAC (all used from Audiogon) -> I doubt that there is any receiver which would match this system in terms of sound quality.

• 2 years later...

Bumping up an old topic after searching.

I'm considering the Outlaw 7500 for my RF7 based home theater. I'll start out with a 5.1 setup, but when I go 7.1, I'll probably use the 7500 for everything but the RF-7s and get a really nice 2 channel amp, possibly the Carver ZR 1600, for them.

Any input? Suggestions?

Actually if you can stretch your dollars a bit more, get the Earthquake Cinenova Grande 7 channel amp. It was made to be with the RF7's. Powerful, precise, and offers plenty of headroom. The other amps pretty much are toys (sans McIntosh)....

Actually if you can stretch your dollars a bit more, get the Earthquake Cinenova Grande 7 channel amp. It was made to be with the RF7's. Powerful, precise, and offers plenty of headroom. The other amps pretty much are toys (sans McIntosh)....

Gee, getech, weren't you bashing the RF 7 not too long ago? Now you're bashing McIntosh? Seriously are you 11 years old? Don't you have a lemonade stand to run?

maybe ......just maybe, he has a hidden agenda.....like selling something? I don't mind someone who sells something here BUT SOME PEOPLE ARE WAY TOO PUSHY.....reminds me of the boys in blue @ bestbuy....sell...sell...sell...sell.

I'm still considering the QSC from another member just for my two RF-7's.

My dear fellow Klipsch member, I respectively have to ask you: did you not finish high school?

getech, you really are going out of your way to piss people off, aren't you?

You

insult their gear, (excepting the McIntosh crowd), calling it toys:

"The other amps pretty much are toys (sans McIntosh)...."

And you insult their intelligence: "Hi my dazed and apparently dim friend...", and, "did you not finish high school?"

Are

you making lots of sales here on the Klipsch forum? Because I have a

sneaking suspicion that you're doing yourself more harm than good, as far as friendly relations with your fellow forum members. A good salesman makes the prospective buyer believe that the salesman is genuinely interested in the cusotmer's concerns, and cares about what is best for the customer. You just sound arrogant and pretentious.

Even though you weren't asking me, no, I did not "finish" high school. I got my GED shortly after my 17th birthday, and I should have done it shortly after my 16th. I could have spent that year going to a school where I could have learned something, instead of wasting another year in classes that were nothing but soporific after I finished reading the textbook the first week of class.

Oh, and that would be respectfully, not respectively, that you wanted in your last post.

I guess we all have our opinions on what is good equipment and what is, well not so good equipment.

It's human nature to feel that what you chose and spent money on is the best when you are rather biased. Thats why it's so important to do your research and buy well. A lot of experience on this board, just a suggestion but perhaps listen as well as pontificate that your equipment is the best. Your investment sometimes doesn't always pan out.

There, that wasn't so bad was it? Not so hard to understand, eh?

Cheers and good luck!