Battered and Bruised by Work and Looking for Relief

thebes

You've all been been there, TGIF instead it's thank god this week is over. I do physical labor for a living and sometimes it just catches up to you. Tonight my back is sore and my calves are screeming. You don't have to use your body to earn your living to experience this feeling, it's just phew my energy is down and I need some surcese.

Got a glass in my hand and Crosby, Stills Nash and Young's "4 Way Street" on the TT but it's going to end soon. The Twins are out clubbing (I'm starting to get suspicous) and I need my forum buds to refill the glass, recharge the battery, see me to sleepy time, you get my drift.

So what helps you out when life's been beating on you with a wooden mallet?

Sometimes music, sometimes a movie, sometimes alcohol, sometimes a few rounds of Texas Holdem with the buds, and sometimes a simple but good, nutritious, and hearty meal.

I say stretch out the back a bit with some downward facing dog, rub some Bengay on those calves, and hit the club! Surprise them twins!

Chef... lots and lots of banquets this time of year, with facilities spread out over 3 floors, and approximately 1/4 mile from one end of the building to the other...

I came home Wednesday, after having worked every day since the previous Wednesday (including Thanksgiving); 4AM until at least 5PM, until 6:45PM on the last day of the stint.

I was walking around the house like I was recovering from a grave illness... after a nap a day, and a couple of hot baths, I enjoyed some film and music, along with some laid-back net-surfing.

Went back to work today; it felt like I'd never been off.

It really sucks getting old 15.gif

Cheez Chuck I thought I had it bad!

Looking for tunes-the body will repair itself, but the musical soul always needs feeding. Think about it for a second, when your beat up there is almost always something special you throw on the changer.

I think once you get a little older in this life -- you want to be left alone more than you used to --even if you have a sex kitten wife(which I don't!)

I find the best thing to do is :

Smoke a Arturo Fuente, CAO, AVO, Indian Tabac, or La Gloria Cubana by yourself outside, and if you can rustle up a male smoking buddy, that's even better--

Then, high five your buddy goodbye, go inside and listen to blues no newer than 1972 at a low volume with a short glass of nice Scotch ( Dewars, J&B,) or Jack Daniels -- the blues could be Elmore James, Roy Buchanan, or Lightnin' Hopkins, or anything with Big Walter Horton in the background. Klipsch speakers are a huge plus.

Guarantee she won't be talking youe ear off with that cigar on your breath!

I know there are better brands of cigar and liquor, but that's part of the relaxation--you're not breaking the bank to enjoy yourself--

-----------I am convinced this works better than a Valium--I quit drugs long ago--

----------------

On 12/3/2004 7:23:00 PM thebes wrote:

The Twins are out clubbing...

----------------

You got baby harp seals in your neighborhood?

I know how you feel, my friend! I think I have convinced the little woman to listen to a little Coltrane tonight (thanks again, Allan!). BTW, anyone else feel weird hearing his "My Favorite Things" on a TV commercial (Target, or Old Navy, or something...)?

----------------

On 12/3/2004 8:27:53 PM fini wrote:

----------------

On 12/3/2004 7:23:00 PM thebes wrote:

The Twins are out clubbing...

----------------

You got baby harp seals in your neighborhood?

I know how you feel, my friend! I think I have convinced the little woman to listen to a little Coltrane tonight (thanks again, Allan!). BTW, anyone else feel weird hearing his "My Favorite Things" on a TV commercial (Target, or Old Navy, or something...)?

----------------

I've been hearing that over and over and don't like it one bit. It just seems wrong! Next commercial comes on and it's Aerosmith's Dream On. I think that one's a car commercial or something. I just try to tune it out.

My wife's giving me my listening/forum time until 10 then we start watching Spiderman 2. Is that what other old married couples do on a Friday night?

Got a little Steely Dan playing now seems to be easing the tired bones.

Nice thoughts and well stated, thereyugobuddy. The blues will always set you free.

And who let that young pup Nick inon this old man's thread? Damn frisky little fellers, why I got corns older than that man, why...

Come and work with me for a week. Mid November have 372 days worked this year. Will probably end the year with around 450. Lite year. Leaving now for 2 days. Got home 10 hours ago. What the hell is TGIF?

Keith

eh I feel sore all the time and I think this christmas my family and I will purchase a family gift for ourselves. It was at the Sharper Image, they call it the I-Joy massage chair. This is not a wuzzy vibrate chair but actually uses some sorta of machine to feel like real hands. Also there is calf/feet massager that wonderful. Though it is about 1000 dollars though it runs around the same price as a lazy boy.

>>> BTW, anyone else feel weird hearing his "My Favorite Things" on a TV commercial (Target, or Old Navy, or something...)? <<<

It's like the Brubeck Take Five music on the Infinity car commercials a few years back. That was a better add, but similar thing. I kinda like my jazz to be just for "us" that "get it" and not be commercialized.

Still, My Favorite Things was just a tune to take off on and even Coltrane borrowed it.

Oscar Hammerstein II and Richard Rodgers

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens;

Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens;

Brown paper packages tied up with strings;

These are a few of my favorite things.

Cream-colored ponies and crisp apple strudels;

Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles;

Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings;

These are a few of my favorite things.

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes;

Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes;

Silver-white winters that melt into springs;