Sold the Klipschorns for $600 !

kjohnsonhp

My neighbor's father was cleaning out his audio gear and since he didn't want to ship the Khorns he sold them locally in Florida for $600! I think it was to a dealer along with some other electronics. I couldn't believe the price...he knew they were worth more but didn't want to fool with the sales process....I guess it didn't take me serious when I said I'd be interested in buying them some day if he wanted to clear out the space.

These weren't damaged or beaters either...

----------------

On 12/6/2004 9:05:13 PM kjohnsonhp wrote:

My neighbor's father was cleaning out his audio gear and since he didn't want to ship the Khorns he sold them locally in Florida for $600! I think it was to a dealer along with some other electronics. I couldn't believe the price...he knew they were worth more but didn't want to fool with the sales process....I guess it didn't take me serious when I said I'd be interested in buying them some day if he wanted to clear out the space.

----------------

I threw up a little when I read that...

Guest Anonymous

that really is sad.... and if i lived anywhere near there i would be at that dealers door with cash at hand.... i cna't believe it, what year where they do you know?

What a shame,I wonder what kind of markup the dealer will add.

Fini-A vurp or hurl? Do you have any mints?

Tomski

----------------

On 12/6/2004 9:14:19 PM fini wrote:

----------------

On 12/6/2004 9:05:13 PM kjohnsonhp wrote:

----------------

----------------

I am still hurling, I may actually need medical attention.

----------------

On 12/7/2004 12:24:06 AM DeanG wrote:

What will the dealer sell them for? Ha! Whatever the market can bear!!
----------------

As well he should! That's life, man. Some days you're the statue, some days, you're the pigeon. I'm never shy about making my interest in an item well known to an owner, even if they only have a slight interest in selling. The higher price that I may pay for that obvious interest is well worth avoiding the lost oppurtunities.

I've got a pair of gems in the garage to show for it-Philipino mahogony Karlson cabinets. Need just a touch of cleaning to be absolutely beautiful. They're sized for 15"s, but have 12" cutouts. Fairly common, from what I understand. I wish they still had the drivers in them.

Anyway, the original owners widow (now remarried) is a customer of the appliance store I manage, and I was filling in on deliveries when I spotted one of them sitting in the basement while running a water line for the fridge. I hadn't seen one in person, so I asked her if it was in fact a Karlson. She knew all about them, told me the story of their construction when her husband was stationed in the Phillipines, and showed me the piece of furniture that was originally the console for it. Gourgeous. They had gutted it and use it for silver storage now. She explained that the stereo they use now is much smaller. I just nodded.

So, I made myself very clear that I would like to buy the K's, and asked if anything else was kicking around. She said that she'd have to check with the kids. Her son was due in to visit from Toronto that weekend, and she needed to run it by him. I deal with older couples all the time, and this was to be expected. I told her to take her time and let me know if she was willing to part with them, and how much she would need if she was. A couple days later she called me at the store, and siad I could take them for about half what I was going to offer. Her son said to move em out, and I was happy to oblige. She mentioned that there was a bunch of stuff in the attic, too, but that there was a huge hornet's nest up there. Probably cold enough to get at it now without getting killed.

Anyway, to end a long story that should have been short, don't be coy when it comes to these things unless you like collecting "The One That Got Away" stories.

Dean- did you get my mail? Looking for that link and am serious about the new networks.

Speaking of khorns in FL note a freind while on vaction in the KEYS saw a real vintage khorn with altec or JBL mid range driver in the trash and never called me until it was gone. It had the early driver dorr and rare early

JBL wood horn lens. Must been late 40's cabnet. Bummer

----------------

On 12/7/2004 10:28:03 PM Fish wrote:

What a sweet deal for the dealer.If he's smart he'll just take em' home and enjoy the best $600 he ever spent.
----------------

Damn straight! I've got $700 in mine, and you won't catch me worrying about any returns on that investment. Do have to keep an eye on the wife, though...