O/T Tsunami Disaster

edwinr

I've just seen the latest pictures.

So sad. So many lives lost. Many of them too young to bear thinking about.

A prayer for them. 15.gif

EDIT:

From Woodog. He has requested I include this at the start of this thread for anyone who wishes to make a donation...

Contribute directly to the relief efforts!

Donate to the International Red Cross

http://www.ifrc.org/helpnow/donate/donate_response.asp

(be patient, it's busy, as you can imagine)

There's also the United Nations Children's Fund.

http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/indonesia_24608.html

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fear that the toll is going to be horrific given the population density in that part of the world and that in many cases the population is concentrated at the seacoast. Equally as frightening to contemplate is the effect that the destruction of the infrastructure ( water,sewers etc ) will have on the survivors.

A catastrophe.

When I first heard about this, death toll was reported as a few hundred, now it is 15,000!!!

Yikes.

I look foward to seeing some of the video's as they come out. From a nature standpoint, amazing how much one EQ was able to cause.

Going to be interesting to see what the long term affects are. How much infrustructure was damaged, homes, etc.?

To inject some sick humor, maybe we can blame SVS?

May the one above allow for normality as can be known to come soon.

A prayer for all affected.

It is too bad that through disasters as these, we realize what we do have. Someday we will learn to not take our positives for granted.

Thank you for starting this thread Edwin.

All that died, may they Rest in the Peace they knew and better, before.

dodger

----------------

On 12/27/2004 2:52:57 AM kenratboy wrote:

Another thing: imagine this happening off the West Coast or off New England.

We are better prepaired for earthquakes and all, but a tsunami is something that is almost impossibly to prepare for.
----------------

It happened in California in 1964

SG2_Tsunamipiledcars.gif

Sg2_f1.gif

Very small town. Lots of advance warning. I was there visiting my Aunt and Uncle for Easter. The water came to within about 50 yards of their property.

I was just a kid but I'll never forget that day . . .

"Looking at all the horrific images of the dead children, one can't help but ask themselves... Is there *REALLY* a God? If so, and if he is all knowing and all powerfull, why does he allow this to happen?"

Perhaps divinity is incomprehensible to mere mortals? Maybe we should stop testing the will of *GOD* and start to be nice to each other?

Perils come to us in all forms in all places both on and above the earth. These events prove to be both frightening and humbling to most people. God bless those who lost their lives and God be with their families. The rest of us should pray for their healing and recovery.

----------------

On 12/27/2004 4:56:42 PM picky wrote:

God be with their families.

----------------

God? What God? Where was God when all those children where dying?15.gif . I've always been told, have faith, I ask, by why do bad things happen, the reply is always, God has his reasons even though we may not understand them. Well.... I want God to explain to me why all those poor children had to die. Forget the adults, I just want to know about the children.

The local authorities here in Australia just announced that we have no Tsunami warning system. That's for a country with most of the population living on the coast. Last week there was a huge marine earthquake with the epicentre between the Australian mainland and Tasmania. We were told that if this had ocurred nearer to land, there would have been a massive Tsunami.

----------------

On 12/27/2004 3:10:36 PM neo33 wrote:

"Looking at all the horrific images of the dead children, one can't help but ask themselves... Is there *REALLY* a God? If so, and if he is all knowing and all powerfull, why does he allow this to happen?"

Perhaps divinity is incomprehensible to mere mortals? Maybe we should stop
testing
the will of
*GOD*
and start to be nice to each other?

----------------

Simplistic, but a step in the right direction.

I've often thought why the children, I can only wonder if it is to spare them the pain of no Parents, the disaster, a terrible future.

I don't know. They are only guesses.

dodger