LP to CD--It's gettin' easier all the time!

fletcherkane

----------------

On 1/2/2005 6:46:57 PM Magnitosh wrote:

Why would you ever want to record your records to CD? A nice table sounds much better then anything digital. IMHO

----------------

Can't argue with you there but I commute 3 hours/day and it's nice to play CDs in the car that are not available in the stores. As a matter of fact, I just received some incredible CDs last week from a friend that I never could have had other than having been recorded from the original LPs.

Thanks Par, got the cable and I've downloaded some trial software from a guy in England to try this stuff out-he does recommend using the 44 mghtz rate. I agree with Gary, cd versions of these lps will come in handy for the car. Also, I have some lps that pretty noisy and I can use the software to clean that up, and I have a batch of music on lp's that my ex would love copies of, so all in all I'm hoping it's a worthwhile effort.

----------------

On 1/3/2005 11:35:37 PM khorn58 wrote:

If you are going to be burning cd best to stay in 44.1 as to much is messed up when converting from 48 to 41.

It just to big a math converasion.

----------------

If the software program is any quality of all it will have no problem doing this conversion.

I have a Sony 75ES DAT recorder from 1991 that does the conversion from 44.1 mhz to 48 mhz or to 32 mhz and back to 44.1 mhz sampling rate with perfect sound quality.

(the 32 mhz sampling rate limits the frequnecy response upper limit to 15 khz)

I use Cakewalk, it has a good click and pop reduction program and I uasualy re-eq the music as a lot of the older LPs are really bad. I know it isn't like it was pressed but I enjoy the music much more when I can hear everything.

You can over drive your sound card inputs if you are not carefull. I recomend to watch your input level to make sure you are not clipping the signal. My use for these LP to CD recordings is to play them in the car. I love the sound of an LP and I don't think you can add anything quality wise only take it away except ofcourse for really bad eq'd recordings in the first place.

----------------

On 12/30/2004 6:35:46 PM thebes wrote:

Thanks for posting this Flectcher. I have some very basic questions about this process. A friend is sending me a full package Nero burning rom which has this lp burning stuff on it but before I dive in:

I have a budget TT next to my computer and a good one upstairs, is using the budget player with a good cart on it ok? or should I use the good TT?

What volumne should I use to record? Regular, really lound, doesn't matter?

Does the quality of the amp make any difference? I have several of various quality I could use.

I will be burning these to use as regular cds so what digital format should I use-in other words I want the best sound I can get going into the cd.

Do the automatic snap, crackle pop removers take some of the music with it? Not sure I'd have the patience to go through a record note by note to clean it up.

Thanks for any info.
-----------

The wizards are pretty good at removing just the snap crackle and pops. As far as volume to record at, you will need to adjust the amp until the meter on the computer screen reads optimal. The quality of the amp doesn't seem to matter, because you are just going from your headphone jack, or your RCA tape outs. It seems the quality of your sound card might make a bigger difference.

----------------

On 12/29/2004 9:36:53 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Thanks for posting. Does anyone know the solution for Mac owners?

Michael

----------------

If you buy the right Toast package from Roxio, you'll get a bundled program called CD Spin Doctor which was actually designed for the sole purpose of LP and Tape conversion. It too has some denoising filters, but you have to record into Spin Doctor for them to work. (I record in CuBase and for some reason Spin Doctor won't let me do any noise reduction on my recordings...I've tried all sorts of different file types too). I still use Spin Doctor though because it lets me divide a single file into multiple tracks.

Here's a link for ya:

Toast with Jam 6

(you'll find more information under the "music made perfect" heading on the right, but here's the link for those lazy people: Digitize your vinyl records and tapes)

On a Dual 2.0 Mac G5: Rega P3 through Counterpoint pre out to inputs of a Mark Of The Unicorn 896HD 24/192 audio interface at highest resolution(24/192). I use Pro Logic 7 which is a BEAST of a pro-audio application and is in many studios. Edit my fades/clicks/separate songs etc. then dither down to 16/44.1 and burn using iTunes.

All dither schemes are not created equal. My high res multitrack has several different schemes with abitrary names, naturally. They do all sound a bit different. I've yet to hear truncation noise sound better than a halfway decent dither process.