LP to CD--It's gettin' easier all the time!

fletcherkane

I have been asked to start a thread talking about the transfer of LP's to CD. I don't claim to be a pro at this, but have had some recent success with some of the new software that is available. If anyone else is doing this and wants to add their 2 pennies, that would be great.

The Magix software company just released a program called Audio Cleaning Lab 2005. It sells for about $40 at Best Buy. Simply plug in your turntable, or tape deck to an amp, and run the audio outs on the amp to the aux. input on your sound card. (Pick up a Stereo RCA to eighth inch stereo cable from your local Shadio Rack.)

Push record on the program, and drop the needle.

The program can be as automatic or manual as you would want. You can let the cleaning wizard search and remove all of the unwanted noise, or you can do it all manually. The tools are all very intuitive to use.

You can record your music any way you want. It includes an MP3 decoder. It will even remaster your stereo projects and record them in Prologic surround.

I have been having a blast cleaning up my old records and tapes.

One word of caution. The program is a memory hog. The more cleaning effects you apply, the bigger the memory drain.

You will need at least 512K to run it effectively. It will run on machines as slow as 450 mhz, but only if you have all day to burn a single disc.

Is anybody else out there burning their LP's to CD? What programs are you using? What has worked well for you? Let's talk!

I have a Sony CD recorder (it also has a 5-disc CD changer, but I've never hooked the output up!). I use it to make CDs for the car. REALLY easy. Just made a copy of the Bobby Hutcherson/Harold Land LP "San Francisco" this evening--will play it in the car on the way to work tomrrow.

I love this $230 Sony!

I use Pris Esoniq pro recoding daw to recoded my anolog

to digital.

Thorens table with ininity arm ortofon cart to

Threshold fet 1 preamp with nice phone gain stage to

Paris 24 bit converters to paris 25 bit .

I then burn both 24 bit cd to play back in paris through my klipschorns very nice high end sound way beter than cd.

i also recode the same set up but in 16 for standard cds

for the car or even the I[pod full res Aiff files.

I'm using a combination of CuBase SX and the Nero Burning Rom Package thing. I've found the noise reduction in Nero's Wave Editor to be the best sounding out there...though the process is a bit clumsy.

I wonder if Nero lets me burn to SACD and DVD-A 5.1. If it doesn't, then I might start looking into this Magix program.

I'm still listening to my albums, as much as I used to. The only time I record them is on cassette for the car on my 15 year old Onkyo cassette deck. These days I use TDK type 2 C90's. I guess at some stage I would like to transfer some hard to replace albums to CD. Some of these de-click programs look intersting.

----------------

On 12/29/2004 9:36:53 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Thanks for posting. Does anyone know the solution for Mac owners?

Michael

----------------

Toast 6 came with my daughter's used iMac (Christmas present). It's supposed to have a LP to CD thing going on...

----------------

On 12/28/2004 9:49:50 PM fletcherkane wrote:

....It will even remaster your stereo projects and record them in SACD or DVD Audio 5.1!....

----------------

The program WILL allow you to record into DOLBY surround but not SACD and DVD-audio! Dolby surround is a much lower fidelity format compared to SACD and DVD-audio.

http://site.magix.net/index.php?12641&version=standard

"MAGIX audio cleaning lab 2005 allows you to easily create Surround Sound. All you need is a stereo system with a Dolby Pro Logic-compatible decoder and speakers located appropriately. You can even burn Surround Sound onto CDs and DVDs or export it into MP3 files!"

I've used all kinds of LP to CD transfers and software. Had a Philips CD-R component deck, Nero, Magix Audio Cleaner, EAC, etc. Frankly, given the time, money, computer time and the iffyness of CD-R compatibility and longevity, I've gone back to using my Nakamichi CR-5 tape deck (Yamaha KX-690 also does excellent tapes) and a good thorough cleaning of the record. Plus you can record anything to a tape, SACD, DVD, DVD-A, doesn't matter. And if the record skips, or you don't like the recording, just rewind and do over. Audio Cassettes were killed just when they started to get the whole thing right.

Presently looking to buy a Dragon or CR-7 if anyone has one they'd be willing to sell.

Thanks for posting this Flectcher. I have some very basic questions about this process. A friend is sending me a full package Nero burning rom which has this lp burning stuff on it but before I dive in:

I have a budget TT next to my computer and a good one upstairs, is using the budget player with a good cart on it ok? or should I use the good TT?

What volumne should I use to record? Regular, really lound, doesn't matter?

Does the quality of the amp make any difference? I have several of various quality I could use.

I will be burning these to use as regular cds so what digital format should I use-in other words I want the best sound I can get going into the cd.

Do the automatic snap, crackle pop removers take some of the music with it? Not sure I'd have the patience to go through a record note by note to clean it up.

Thanks for any info.

Bump! Still need some answers. Also I only have integrated receivers (seven or eight of them in various brands)so how do I get the sound from the receiver to the soundcard? Do I use the tape out? or do I have to come up with an amplifier?

Thebes:

I don't have the answer on if your budget TT will work well or not but burn and disc with it as the source and then listen to it, are you happy with the results?

As for the connections, that is very straight forward. Connect to turntable to the receiver using the phono jacks (like normal) then using an RCA>1/8 mini cable connect a tape out to the input on your computer's sound card. The levels will be automatically set. That's all there is to it.

Good luck!

Paul