Rotel Gear

IndyKlipschFan

I think it would be great, I would chose a different DVD player though, I think there's better players out there for the money, Jerry has auditioned the new Marantz player, and apparently it's supposed to be amazing! Look into a Denon at least, but the other 2 pieces are a great choice!! I have the RMB-1095 and the RSP-1098 and LOVE the combo, people really like the 1075, and I would love to have one for my bedroom setup, or something.

I say go for it! Enjoy!!! 1.gif

----------------

On 1/1/2005 3:53:19 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

This is for the dedicated HT in the basement. I probably will take the Aragon gear there... But I LOVE it upstairs with K horns for now too.

----------------

I was just asking the question because I am considering the move to ARAGON from Rotel

I currently have a Rotel RSP 1098 pre-pro which is definitly a keeper. I auditioned the 1098 up against the Stage One. The Stage one had a very slight edge in sonics but lacked the features of the 1098 (or the 1068 for that matter) like PLIIx.

I am considering selling off my Rotel RB 1080 2 channel 200wpc and my RMB 1075 5 channel 120 wpc in favor of the ARAGON 2007. I'm considering this mostly to get 200 watts to my center, and other minor reasons. I've never even listened to the 2007..just a thought right now.

JR

The 1068 really is a good pc of gear,the 1075 too for that matter.I agree you can do better on the dvd for about the same or a little more,although the Rotel looks great it lacks important features.

Just to touch on the 1068 one more time,it really does a good job w/dvd concerts,music,even decent 2ch which was important for me.Compared to some units I've had its very easy to set up and operate.At about $1500 new w/5yr warranty its hard to beat,any less and its a great deal.

Just a further note on DVD players. As Scott mentioned I recently auditioned the Marantz DV9500 and all I can say is WOW! Secrets December update calls the core Video performance of that player "nearly perfect". However, and this is a big However, its USA MSRP is $2100 and I haven't been able to find anyone who will sell it to me for less than $1600. That's a bit steep...even for me.

Another line that you may wish to look at is Cambridge Audio's Azur 540D. It has better specs than even the Rotel 1060, I've heard very good things about it, AND I own a CA Azur 640C CD player which is about the best sounding CD player I've ever heard....at any price (and built like a tank...jitter is very very low). The analog audio performance of the 540D should be similar to the Rotel 1060 since it uses the same DACs. Cambridge, like Rotel stresses the audio side of their DVD players more than most other companies do. The only drawbacks to their DVD player is that there is no DVI/HDMI, no SACD and it doesn't upsample. But neither does the Rotel have any of those features. It does play DVDA like the Rotel. The 540D should be available from audioadvisor.com for less than $350, delivered. Audioadvisor has a great return policy should you not like it.

JR

I think you will be very happy with Rotel equipment. They are quiet, which is really nice with sensitive (Klipsch) speakers.

One thing to consider - will you ever need more power? Nothing lacking with 120 x 5, but you may also want to look into the RMB-1095 (200 x 5). Just a thought.

I have been real happy with my Rotel gear. The RB-1080 sounds great for 2 channel music. I have the RMB-1075 for the rest of my HT. I'm only running 6.1 so I am able to bi-amp my front center channel which I think was a nice improvement over single amping before I had the 1080. I have had two Denon DVD players (1600 and now the 2200). I have been very happy with these. I haven't researched their new players (1910, 2910, 3910) very much but now is a real good time to pick up a 2900 for a good price. The video quality of the 2200 and the 2900 are suppose to be similar (excellent) but the 2900 has better audio capabilities. Both play DVD-Audio and SACD. The new 2910 and 3910 introduce upsampling to 720P or 1080i.

Good God Indy;

Put the Aragon in the basement before I drive down there and whack you in the head with my Scott LK-48.

And then hook it up to your K Horns while we have your head stiched up.

LOL

Rotel is peachy stuff; I always find something else to buy, never owned a piece but have made many auditions.

Consider the newest Generation Sherwood Newcastle separates. I love my 5 year old HT set up with only 2 digital inputs.

http://www.sherwoodusa.com/nc_cat_hts.html

The new one seeems very nice per the review in Perfect Vision I think. Cheaper than Rotel.

"Good God Indy;

Put the Aragon in the basement before I drive down there and whack you in the head with my Scott LK-48.

And then hook it up to your K Horns while we have your head stiched up.

LOL"

WHACK!!!!

Maybe someone will demo some Aragon gear at CES this week. Yes, I know, I should duplicate it downstairs.. I do feel the Aragon is better than the Rotel for sure. You guys are getting to me..LOL.

Saw a McIntosh pre amp too but they did 5.1 as well. (A 135?)

Not in a huge rush, trying to listen to you on here too.

Just let me be done by our June Klipsch weekend..LOL.

• 8 months later...

Indy,

I love the way Rotel sounds with Klipsch. If it were me I would go with the RMB-1095. It will give you alittle more head room over the RMB-1075. I know its only 80 watts buy I think your LaScalas will like the extra Juice.

I wonder how there sales are on the RSP-1098, The only major diff. with the 1068 is that stupid little TV on the front, some multi room upgrades and a couple of extra inputs. I see you didn't pick that one either.

I auditioned the 1068 with the 1095 on a Ref. 7 system and it was killer.

Just put my vote to upgrade to the 1095.

Steve

My choices would be:

A/V Pre/Pro: NAD T163 or B&K Ref 50 S2 (Why? musicality, fabulous surround steering) Don't pay extra for features and junk that you are not going to use!

Amplifier: B&K 200.7 S2, Sherbourn 7/2100A, Gemstone Blue Diamond (Obviously using four 2-channel amplifiers would be better but not necessarily cost effective).

DVD Player: Denon 3910 or the older Denon 5900

You don't need to stick with all the same brand mixing and matching can yield better results in most cases.

In the mixing I agree... but sometimes the specs seem to work better within class...

My 931 samsung witht he 61" DLP also from samsung using DVI and optical audio out.. IS amazing..for what a 200 dollar upconverter DVD player.... Sometimes you get lucky..

I am looking hard at the 950 DVD player now.. top of the line for downstairs...

Roger:

I moved up to Aragon from a Rotel amp and Outlaw preprocessor. I had the 5channel RMB-1095 (think that's the model). While it had power the sound was not what I wated. Being used to your Aragon gear upstairs I think you'd be disappointed in the sound especially for music.

Also, I looked at the DVD HD950 and I think I'll be going with the brand new Denon DVD-1920 for upconverting player instead. Its $349 and doesn't come with the cables like the 950, but, I've seen your house, don't cheap out!